3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Diesel fuel in mexico

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel fuel in mexico

Anyone bought any? We are near the mexican border in El Centro,Ca. and I have a 150 gal. auxillary tank in my truck bed.Don't want to buy 150 gallons of crap.Anyone had probs with this stuff?I hear it's around 2 bucks or so.It's really tempting.Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/...Y&pageId=1.1.1

I don't know how widespread this crackdown is, as far as the fuel itself I've never heard of any problems with it. Sounds like you can fill the regular tanks but aux. tanks or drums, cans may be a problem.
Old 08-16-2008, 12:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a good filtration system like FASS or Glacier and run it.

I've got the Glacier system with a 2 micron filter. If I were unsure of the fuel down there I would probably install an inline fuel water separator along the frame after the pump.

For what its worth I think a fuel system with a 2 micron filter is one of the best mods you can do. It was my very first mod, before gauges and before Smarty. I looked at it like the fuel system was my foundation and you've got to have a good foundation to build on.

Go for it and enjoy the cheap fuel!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:10 AM

I know they are cracking down on the Texas/Mexico border, and when caught, they are not allowing people to leave until they discard the fuel, or they fine you per gallon.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:23 AM

I lived in southern Mexico for a number of years and bad gas was a very common thing to watch out for.

Everything fuel wise is lower quality down south be it diesel or gas
Old 08-16-2008, 02:10 PM

besides fining they are impounding the vehicle unless you have a permit
Old 08-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Diesel in the Juarez area was actually suppose to be better for your engine because of lubricating properties. The diesel also contains more cetane. Some of the diesel was sold to Mexico from US refineries (and was not Pemex).......our tax dollars at work. I agree with the gas though.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:02 PM

I haven't had any problems yet. I also don't have a tank in my bed. If your bed tank is connected to your factory fuel system CBP will let you pass. Lately what the guys have been saying at the Pemex stations is that if you have a in bed tank they wont touch you or limit you to a 500 peso fill up.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:00 PM

My brother and some other friends of mine that live in south Texas have been filling up across the boarder for acouple months now. So far they havent had any problems, just what yall have said about having to have aux. tanks plumed into your tank or they wont fill it up. Wasnt like that at first had some farmer friends crossing 1-2 times a day filling up there aux. tanks to bring back and stockpile it for there tractors getting ready for picking season.
J
Old 08-17-2008, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by JWillms81
My brother and some other friends of mine that live in south Texas have been filling up across the boarder for acouple months now. So far they havent had any problems, just what yall have said about having to have aux. tanks plumed into your tank or they wont fill it up. Wasnt like that at first had some farmer friends crossing 1-2 times a day filling up there aux. tanks to bring back and stockpile it for there tractors getting ready for picking season.
J
Hey J
Do you know what your brother and friends are paying for the south of the border diesel? My aux. tank is plumbed in the system so I should be able to buy 150 gallons if I want..right? thanks
Dave
Old 08-17-2008, 11:19 PM

I read in another thread that it was legal to bring back 119 gallons max.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Of all the stupid things that the US gov has to worry about they worry about this,oh brother.

I do know if you have a good filter u can run some crappy diesel in theses trucks,belive me I put some not so clean stuff in a few times and did not have a problom.

Pav
Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 PM

Ok just drove from Los Angeles to Guadalajara and back and not a lick of problems. The Diesel and all the other gas down there is better than all the crap we have here. No water or anything. Just run it. Also have many friends who run it with no problems. I am always down there for races and dirt bike riding and I always fill my truck a before coming back accross. Yes you are allowed to bring back 119 gallons of fuel. You could probably bring more just tell the customs officer you want to pay the duty and i bet they let you pass right through.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by dshind
Hey J
Do you know what your brother and friends are paying for the south of the border diesel? My aux. tank is plumbed in the system so I should be able to buy 150 gallons if I want..right? thanks
Dave
it was around 2.20 something last time he was there about a month ago.
j
Old 08-24-2008, 12:36 AM

been there done it..the aux tank just has to be a stand alone..meaning not tied into the main tank..at least that's what they told us.so we just took the line off going to the main tank,and the border man said free to go on..

Quick Reply: Diesel fuel in mexico