3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Did 48RE Band Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RDR
Yeah, the band adjustment seems to amplify whatever causes the shuttle shift. Im also reading now that there is a TSB for reflashing the pcm with updated software that is supposed to help the shuttle shift.. I hope to god that my parts fix this issue and I dont have to duke it out with a dealer to get my pcm reflashed under warranty.. I dont get along with service people very well.. they tend to **** me off..
I hear ya!
Thats really my only concearn with doing my band adjustment, it may applify the shuttle shift and then Ill have to replace the governer solenoid(under warranty if possible), but im sure it will be more of a headache than its worth to mess with the ***********. Id rather just take the pocket hit and do it on my own...
Old 03-15-2008, 06:22 PM

New to Thread, Upshift issue

Hi all, just saw this 48RE band adjustment thread, wanted to ask a followup.
I have a 2003 ram diesel with the 48RE. I am experiencing a sticky upshift out of low. Just happens occasionally. If I stop, shut down, restart off often it corrects itself and upshifts OK. The intermittent nature of it is making me crazy. So what do you experts think? Some sort of solenoid, or does the front band need adjustment?. What else should I be looking for. All other shifting is OK. Just the occasional sticking in low. I love this truck but the intermittent problem is a pain. Thanks
Steve M Romney, WV
stevenmartin@frontiernet.net
Old 03-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDR...

When your done installing the solenoid, could you give a brief discription of the process and your opinion of ease of install?

Thanks, I plan on doing mine when I hit my 90k mile trans service...
Old 03-15-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by smartin1
Hi all, just saw this 48RE band adjustment thread, wanted to ask a followup.
I have a 2003 ram diesel with the 48RE. I am experiencing a sticky upshift out of low. Just happens occasionally. If I stop, shut down, restart off often it corrects itself and upshifts OK. The intermittent nature of it is making me crazy. So what do you experts think? Some sort of solenoid, or does the front band need adjustment?. What else should I be looking for. All other shifting is OK. Just the occasional sticking in low. I love this truck but the intermittent problem is a pain. Thanks
Steve M Romney, WV
stevenmartin@frontiernet.net
Same thing happened to mine when it was brand new. It was some sensor in the trans; not sure which one.

Nick
Old 04-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Banned

RDR,
Do you have any updates for us?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM

What i had to do on my 47re is there is an adjustment called TV its a cable that goes from the tps on the side of the motor to the side of the trans. You need to make sure there is no slack in that cable. With the engine off have someone press on the gas pedal. Get under neath the truck on the driver side of the trans is that cable either bend the bracket that its connected to or bend the bracket on the TPS and test drive. Then adjust your front band. I resolved my hunting like that. Need more info ask or PM

sean
Old 04-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by coparam4x4
RDR,
Do you have any updates for us?
X2!

Howd the new solenoid go?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Banned

I put a new gv solenoid in and adjusted the bands. So far so good. I haven't been able to put a lot of miles on it yet but no shuttle shifting yet. Seems to shift just a tad better now with the bands adjusted. Next time the truck is to be driven is to lake Havasu with the toyhauler.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 AM

50/50

so is adjusting tje bands good idea my truck seems to have these same conditions when i pull to a stop some times 50% the truck seems like im holding abit the accelerator and when i push accel down to take off it bare ly moves un less i manuly pull down to 1st 06 2500 diesel auto 87000mls
Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM

i replaced the gov and transducer and had bands tightened and also put on a DTT shift enhanser and that fixed all my shifting probs
Old 11-11-2008, 09:08 PM

so to replace the governor you need that and the transducer? what and where does that go? also has anyone found the part numbers for those two parts yet? i have my shift kit coming and i have fluid ready but i am thinking i should do this. But i don't have the 1-2 shuffle i don't think but i def do have 2-3-2
Old 11-15-2008, 02:01 PM

i got my transmission fluid and filter replaced but never adjusted the bands, and from time to time i get check engine code P1762 that is when truck drives like S***. now i noticed i will not shift from first.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drop the pan, take out the filter, remove the retaining bracket which holds the solenoid and sensor....change out soleinoid and sensor.......replace....change filter and fluid while you are there.....five min. job. Leave the band adjustment to the experts, or you be headed to a tranny shop shortly.
Old 11-15-2008, 07:59 PM

<quote>Leave the band adjustment to the experts, or you be headed to a tranny shop shortly.

if you have an inch pounds torque wrench and can follow simple instructions I dont see why the band adjustment would be considered a big deal. I am doing mine on monday along with changing the fluid in the differential and will post if its tough or not. looks like a piece of cake to me.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your truck.

Quick Reply: Did 48RE Band Adjustment