3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Did 48RE Band Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am just coming up on 30,000 and of course it say's to change the filter and adjust the bands. However a few of you are talking about changing a solenoid also?? is there a problem with the stock solenoid, am I missing something?? If anyone of you folk's can fill this old man in, I would appreciate it. I wish some of you whipper snappers lived close to me here in Topeka... I would buy the beer for a little help on this deal, My old bones aren't too much good crawling under this truck any more.. ha ha ha Thanks in advance Pa Hogan
Old 11-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My stock ones made it about 200,000 miles........so if you have no problems don't worry about them.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:19 AM

Thank you annabelle. Could someone tell this old man what that Solenoid does, ""SHIFT""" or what makes it go bad. I pull a pretty heavy 39 foot 5th wheel and there are time's when it down shifts on a hill and then doesn't want to upshift after the crest of the hill and on the way down??? That is troubling. I have to let up on the pedal and mess with the fuel pedal - then it will upshift. Sure wish they would have teamed the cummins with the Allison, NOW THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN A MARRIAGE.. ho ho ho
Later Pa Hogan
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 AM

I had my govenor pressure valve replaced twice in one year,for the second one they pulled the tranny,flushed it,replaced the TC and the clutch packs.The dealer told me these valves stick because of debris,which they have found to becoming from the TC,they have cut a few TCs open and found them to be worn inside,but didn't elaborate as to exactly what wore out.The debris also causes the clutches to become glazed.I never tow anything.Obviously the 48re is not the commercial grade tranny they say it is.Dodge does make a heavy duty replacement,but my dealer denied it existed.Anyway two thumbs up to them for doing it under warranty,they could have just thrown in another valve and hoped it lasted more than a year so they could have dinged me for the tranny overhaul or another valve.I live very close to BD Diesel,can anyone comment on BDs trannys?They have race versions and towing versions of the 48re.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by annabelle
Drop the pan, take out the filter, remove the retaining bracket which holds the solenoid and sensor....change out soleinoid and sensor.......replace....change filter and fluid while you are there.....five min. job. Leave the band adjustment to the experts, or you be headed to a tranny shop shortly.
I suspect a high percentage of problems with the 48re are caused by people reading these forums and deciding they are transmission mechanics,my truck has 145k towing miles ,all I do is get the tranny flushed every 30K,NO BAND ADJUSTMENTS,had the filter changed at 120K,the tech said it was still clean as new.,hotshotters and people who tow for a living don't mess with the tranny's and they are very reliable and durable.,on a stock truck,now add chips and and a few stoplight derby's and the stock 48re is not going to survive very long .
Old 11-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Banned

These trannies are good with stock HP for around 200,000 miles. Just change the fluid and filter every 20,000 to 30,000 miles, forget the flush, and leave the bands alone. If you are going to increase the HP....build your tranny accordingly.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
changed my fluid and filter today and ADJUSTED THE BANDS. it was extremely easy. mine seems to slip a little less between shifts. shifts just like new again. the whole job took less than 30 minutes. AN absolute BREEZE!!!
Old 11-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by supersonictoys
changed my fluid and filter today and ADJUSTED THE BANDS. it was extremely easy. mine seems to slip a little less between shifts. shifts just like new again. the whole job took less than 30 minutes. AN absolute BREEZE!!!
did you take any pictures? will be doing my next friday if weather allows. I replaced my fluid and filter but the problem is that sometimes it gets stock in first and will not shift, after restart and idle in P or N it will start from second and shift no problem upward. also i have ordered new solenoid.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:33 AM

Fluid exchange or common term FLUSH which it isn't is the best thing to happen to a auto trans and owners since a auto trans invention.I handled hundereds if not thousands of FLIUD EXCHANGES (using the BG system)and saw it cut overhauls and repairs tremendously.Fleet owners were shocked at the cost savings of regular total fluid replacement.Hammajamma summed it up perferctly.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've read a few post from Hotshotters who only install a new filter and refill and no band adjustments and get over 400K out of a stock 48re transmissions.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

A full flush and a run of the mill flush are two seprate procedures. If you are only going to have a cosmetic flush done............stay away from it. It does more harm than good.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:06 PM

And just what the heck is a "MILL"flush and a "COSMETIC" flush. There are some flush machines and there are FLIUD EXCHANGE machines.Any and all I've ever seen was fluid exchange.You come up with some new terminology from somewhere?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Banned

Take out the VB don't do just a fluid exchange. It just stirs things up.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:59 PM

Bull.Just how does it do that? A whole lot more harm/danger droping the valve body then exchanging fliud.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Dealer did mine yester day cause I was having tranny shifting wierdness and such. Wow what a differance after that it even got rid of the take off shutter I was having thought that was the rear end or drive shaft flex.
Then I added a Smaty on top of it and now um um good.

Quick Reply: Did 48RE Band Adjustment