3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Death Wobble! BAD - NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Badd Dogg Guy19
Lemme ask you guys, I owned an 87 F-150 with 33's on it and the suspension had over 150,000 mi on it, and I never experianced any type of steering problem or wobble. I also owned a 98 GMC Sierra 1500 and the front end was worn from these lovely NYC roads, and again, never experianced anthing..... Now for my new Ram, truck only has 1,450 mi. on it, and I notice when I drive it, especially if Im on like a service rd. or something, going about 45mph or so, If the road has a slight bend, and some potholes, the truck seems to get a little squirrlley, and wants to move around slightly. I had to move the steering wheel a little to stay in my lane. Now, is this the death wobble that everybody is talking about, or is this something else?? I gotta say, out of all the trucks Ive owned, and some of them were old beaters with lots of miles, I never experianced any thing like that. It'll make my heart jump, especially when you have another vehicle next to you!!!

Definitely not the same.

This is so much vibration that you think the wheels are going to come off. You really don't have control when it's happening.

You're GM had independent front suspension, different ball game all together. Did the Ford have that cross I-beam suspension? Also completely different.

Listen to Rockhound. He knows what he's talking about.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Lemme ask you guys, I owned an 87 F-150 with 33's on it and the suspension had over 150,000 mi on it, and I never experianced any type of steering problem or wobble. I also owned a 98 GMC Sierra 1500 and the front end was worn from these lovely NYC roads, and again, never experianced anthing..... "

I'll guess that neither truck has over 4000 lbs on the front axle. Jeeps seem to have DW problems, as do the newer Dodge trucks. Dodge developed 'quicker steering' on the new trucks, it gets good marks for low speed turning by all and some complaints about being too quick at speed by some, but it'll probbaly be more prone to DW than a vehicle with 'slower steering'. The weight probably makes a big difference too, where big tires with floppy sidewalls that are also aired too low can act like a spring with heavier loads, instead of possibly damping with lighter loads.

But, evidently most seem to think that running big tires that are prone to DW is worth the risk of killing themselves or someone else. I guess it's 'corn', which is the phrase that I use for modifying trucks in the US, similar to 'rice' describing the Honda Civics with the spoilers and goofy mufflers.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:59 PM

Great post guys. It just so happens that I have a Jeep Wrangler at my shop right now. The customer dropped it off right at the end of the day today, what a coincidence. He came in a couple of weeks ago complaining of DW. The truck runs 35's and a 6" lift. We replaced the track bar and aligned it and then let him take it. He came in tonight and said everything was perfect until he took it somewhere else and had his 35's replaced with a set of well used 33's. Now he says he can't go over 40 mph because the truck will DW everytime. I guess I'll go in the A.M. and check the pressures and rotate the tires to see what happens. Thanks in advance, I really had no idea where to start
Old 09-02-2005, 07:35 AM

Solution! MAYBE?????

Upon some advice I totally dont agree or understand I went ahead and up'd my air pressure on the front tires to 65 lbs. Once again I repeat I up'd my front tire pressure to 65 lbs.

It has been over a week and a half. Same roads, same speeds, everyday ............

NO DEATH WOBBLE,

I dont know why but it has worked. I can feel it just get ready to start, and the people who have the DW know what I am talking about, but it does not go into a full DW just a couple of quick bounces.

The problem is now, I know my Ball Joints are pretty bad but I have heard they are $$$$$ to replace because of a sealed bearing kit that is like $350 per side??
Old 09-02-2005, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 1sttruck
"Lemme ask you guys, I owned an 87 F-150 with 33's on it and the suspension had over 150,000 mi on it, and I never experianced any type of steering problem or wobble. I also owned a 98 GMC Sierra 1500 and the front end was worn from these lovely NYC roads, and again, never experianced anthing..... "

I'll guess that neither truck has over 4000 lbs on the front axle. Jeeps seem to have DW problems, as do the newer Dodge trucks. Dodge developed 'quicker steering' on the new trucks, it gets good marks for low speed turning by all and some complaints about being too quick at speed by some, but it'll probbaly be more prone to DW than a vehicle with 'slower steering'. The weight probably makes a big difference too, where big tires with floppy sidewalls that are also aired too low can act like a spring with heavier loads, instead of possibly damping with lighter loads.

But, evidently most seem to think that running big tires that are prone to DW is worth the risk of killing themselves or someone else. I guess it's 'corn', which is the phrase that I use for modifying trucks in the US, similar to 'rice' describing the Honda Civics with the spoilers and goofy mufflers.
I drive a lot of different 04/05 HD Rams and the only one it ever happened to me on was a HEMI, so I don't think its the engine weight.

The tire pressure thing on the other hand is very curious. I know the guy who was driving the Hemi before me and he's a big fan of lowering the air pressure a little to get a better ride (that was until the recent fuel price hikes).
Old 09-02-2005, 11:04 PM

Just an update if anyones interested. I aired the tires up on the Jeep from 32 to 50 and it moved the DW onset speed up about 3 mph. Next I rebalanced the tires which had just been installed at another shop and static balanced only. The worst reading we had was 1 ounce off (Weight on the inside only). When we switched to the dynamic mode a couple were calling for around 3 ounces. We rebalanced all the tires dynamically (which means it has weights showing on the outside of the wheel) and the DW was completely gone, so far. We noticed the customer had his lift kit sway bar links installed wrong, with the front in the rear and Vice Versa. He also has a broken shock mount on the RR so hopefully it will drive nice.