3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
death wobble

I have literally changed every part on the front end of my sons 03 2500 4WD, some twice.
New:
all 4 new adjustable control arms
shocks twice, Rancho 5000 series on now for the 2" lift
added duel steering stabilizers, Rancho
all tie rod, draglink sleeves all new
steering gear box
steering gear box support kit
rebushed the track bar
replaced the track bar with updated bushings and went to 5/8 bolts to be sure the chassis hole weren't sloppy.
alignment check and adjusted
35" tires and wheels almost new, had them checked twice for balance and running true, put front o the rear, left on right, pressure at 60
right side ball joints bearing and axle joint, left seem good. right top "had" a very small amount of play.

last summer when driving it down the highway at about 65 it would shimmy a bit, I looked at it and the draglink end had sloop, tie rod ends just a bit of play, so I changed them all. that is when the severe going to kill you death wobble started. (when it did that it broke the 1 year old steering shock, 1 shock, and bent the new tie rod) I have it stiffened up now so it just starts go into the wobble, you just have to slow down and it goes away.

WTH do I do next?
Old 01-27-2019, 09:38 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Change the caster setting... Loosen both the eccentric caster cam bolts and turn the cams so that the passenger side control arm pointer arrow stamped on the side of the cam is pointing in the 9 o'clock position, towards the front of the truck. The drivers side will follow because the axle is solid, but you will have to make sure to have it pointing in the 10 - 11 o'clock position. They're not the same because of the cross caster pre-built in the axle housing.

When they're positioned like described, tighten the cam bolts back up and take it for a drive. I bet you find the steering to be immensely better...

Why this works is because the 2nd gen Dodge Ram needs more positive caster than the OEM alignment specs allow for. Then adding any amount of lift will push the caster in the negative direction and make the alignment even worse. Caster positioned with not enough positive angle will cause poor steering feedback and twitchy steering. Thats where the DW comes from.

Thats not to say loose or worn steering/suspension components arent a problem...but you seemingly addressed all that.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:54 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Ditto on what ^^^^ he said.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:34 AM

Thank you, I have been asking everywhere, no one has given me any positive help. I will do that today.

I made major headway yesterday, I loosened the adjustment sleeve on the left tie rod end, put a pipe wrench on the tie rod and one on the end, turned the tie rod CW the end CCW, that took the rock out of the tie rod. I went for about 45 mile ride hit the roads where it had done it in the past at the same speed. so far so good.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:13 AM

with the adjustable control arms I can put the positive caster degrees wherever I want, what is the degree target I should set it at?
Old 01-28-2019, 09:02 AM

The factory specs call for 3.2* on the left and 3.5* on the right. That said, stock specs are for a stock suspension with no lift...and the stock specs dont offer enough positive camber either. Meaning, if you go align the truck at a shop and tell them this is the specs you want, it wont be right because of the lift and you'll likely still experience the DW at some random time on the roadway.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:42 AM

'if you go align the truck at a shop and tell them this is the specs you want, it wont be right because of the lift'"...…………………………………

what do I tell them I want it at then? it has about 2" lift on the front only. it was really about 1.75"
Old 01-28-2019, 10:50 AM

Any time the front suspension is moved downward on a 4 link, the caster moves in the negative direction. But seriously you're overthinking this... Here's a picture of my caster for the past going on decade or so.

Old 01-28-2019, 11:48 AM

10-4 I'll put mine just like that.

Thanks You!!
Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 AM

I'm still fighting this truck. I put the 09 updated tie rod drag link assembly on, had the alignment done and drew a picture of caster they attached to the work order, set it at 4.2 to 4.6 positive per Rough Country, it helped. at 70 MPH hit 3 bumps in a row the truck will start bouncing, I took it to another alignment shop they printed the before, it was at 2.5 positive caster, they got it at 4.3 left, 4.5 right. much better.

I have done everything that I have read and what the engineer at Rough Country said, it is down to the springs or tires, it feels like the left front starts the bounce, I have had all the tires put on that corner, balanced 3 times.

today I'm going to the shop and turn the adjustable bottom control arm out 2 turns t give it more positive caster. if that don't fix it I'm trading it in or try to move a oak tree.

I'm a 62 year old big truck and equipment mechanic, this is the hardest problem I have ever had to solve.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:15 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
As I'm sure you've read by now, any number of things can cause death wobble on a 3rd Gen Dodge Cummins 4wd.

In all your posts, I don't see you mention if the 35 inch tires are load Range E and if you have taken them up to 80 PSI rather than the 60 PSI that you mention?

Also, have you tried a set of stock size 265/70R17 load range E tires at 80 psi?

Failing that, I would recommend to remove any lift from the truck. Get it back to stock height.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:15 AM

I guess I got it, I did put the tires up to 75 PSI and I turned the bottom control arms 2 turns, I drove it over some bumps at 70 MPH and no bounce, My kid took it north highway and city driving, hit several bumps at 80 MPH

so far so good.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
As I'm sure you've read by now, any number of things can cause death wobble on a 3rd Gen Dodge Cummins 4wd.

In all your posts, I don't see you mention if the 35 inch tires are load Range E and if you have taken them up to 80 PSI rather than the 60 PSI that you mention?

Also, have you tried a set of stock size 265/70R17 load range E tires at 80 psi?

Failing that, I would recommend to remove any lift from the truck. Get it back to stock height.
they are 35" 18" that was my next option, I was going to swap tires from a known good truck to ours and see what happened. when we got them tires it didn't death wobble, they were at 80 I think, I dropped them to 35 for a better ride. the death wobble started when I changed the worn tie rod draglink, been fighting it every since.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I was shopping for a used truck I specified that it could not be modified from stock, the size of tires, suspension and no modifications to the stock computer settings in the computer. I allowed for exhaust modifications as long as it did not make the truck much loader than stock. I known for years when the front ends were modified a whole bunch of different issues manifest themselves that are difficult to correct. I ended up with a 2004.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4 X 4 with everything stock less the turbo back exhaust which had been changed to a 5". The original geometry of the truck from the factory seems to optimal for this truck and when modified they just become chasing one issue after another. I will likely never modify the ride height of my Ram due to the fact I am 61 and my wife is older and of short in height (4'10"). The truck already is set up to be rather high up already.

I wonder if the steering gear box mount for the frame might be have issues as in the past I have literally seen a few of these trucks (not any one brand in particular) in the scrap yards with the frame damaged in this area. I do know I seen youtube videos where someone has added a aftermarket reinforcement plates to the mount and it seemed to helped the death wobble. It might be something to investigate.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:10 AM

i had the steering gear box off, I put in a new one and the support kit, I knew that was a waste of money, it had just a tiny bit of play on the output.

Quick Reply: death wobble