3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cutting Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cutting Out

I got a 2003 that at times while driving, will sputter like you turned off the key for an instant. No codes. I've replaced cam+crank sensor, ignition switch, apps, I've chased more wires and grounds than the power company. It's sporadic. It will happen a few times then be fine for weeks. I have a diesel tech friend at dodge, a twenty five year vet on diesels, asked him, no idea. Said they chase this crap ALL the time without success. Well, now after owning Dodges for about 40 years and chasing this stuff I'm starting to grow vexed. This just started in the last two years or so. It began with when starting cold and on high idle every now and then it would hesitate like you turned the key off and on really fast. Not all the time. Just every once in a while.... Hey, any of you guys do excorcisms at a reasonable price ?????
Old 02-15-2017, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the "in tank" transfer pump, I would check the wiring to the battery, a friend of mine had a loose wire from his in tank pump and was acting like what you are describing.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:20 PM

Thanks Chip. I have Raptor RP-100 HP Lift Pump in the engine compartment and that's about the only wiring I haven't checked because I hear the pump run at start up, but at road speeds you can't hear what the pump maybe doing. So if the pump could be blipping on and off that could be telling the ECM to instantly shut off and turn on the engine. The pump pressure gauge never moves during the hesitation but it happen so fast it wouldn't. Interesting. Good info. I'm on it....
Old 02-16-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's happening while driving, could you be suffering from dead pedal? While it hasn't happened to me on my 04.5, both of my previous '02s had that same symptom - felt like I turned the key off while driving for just a second, then came back to life. Had to replace the TPS
Old 02-17-2017, 07:54 AM

I put a new apps/tps in. No dead pedal. It's an instantaneous blip like the engine is shutting off and turing on in the twinkling of an eye and with no regularity. Might happen one day then not again for a week or two days. That's why we can't nail it down, no regularity.