3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins choked by snow.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cummins choked by snow.....

I was driving home from Maryland to New Jersey in the "Blizzard", when I decided to follow a diesel powered Ford Excursion. He was making good time and driving along the outside of the slow traffic. After about an hour, we came apon a large group of trucks doing about 15mph. The guy in the excursion stepped on it to pass the trucks. When I went to do the same, my Cummins started to spool up and then started to lose power. The engine light came on so right away I pulled over and check things out. Everything seemed to be fine. No leaks, oil pressure was good, temp, volt, etc.... So I continued to drive, but the truck seemed to lack power.

I eventually pulled off the highway and found an old garage with on overhang to pull the truck under. I popped the hood and started looking over the engine again. It was then that I saw the filter minder was sucked all the way down. I opened the air box up to find it PACKED with snow!!! The filter was packed with ice and had been sucked up and in towards the intake tube!!!! I removed the filter and put it in the truck to thaw and spent twenty minutes in 18 degree weather trying to remove the snow from the air box. After a half hour of letting the truck idle to thaw the air filter, I re-installed it and tried to drive home. Of course the air filter was still wet and froze back up. So, I removed it and drove home with out it.

Because the engine light was on, my truck still lacked power. I will assume that this a protection feature to keep the engine from self destruction when there is a problem. When I got home, I installed a new Fleetguard filter and let the truck sit in the garage with the heater on for a few hours. After two hours it started right up and the engine light went out. Runs like new.....

Next time I'm in a blizzard, I'll just have to drive backwards to keep the snow out of my air box
Old 01-24-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man that must have been one heck of a snow to do that. I can see how it would happen but would not think that it would actualy pack that full. I have driven in a lot of hard snow but never had a filter plug with snow.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The problem was following the Ford diesel. The Cummins wanted you to pass!
Old 01-24-2005, 08:13 PM

That sucks, sounds like it's time for a BHAF setup
Old 01-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

Thats crazy and kind of Funny
Old 01-24-2005, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by bkrukow
Man that must have been one heck of a snow to do that. I can see how it would happen but would not think that it would actualy pack that full. I have driven in a lot of hard snow but never had a filter plug with snow.
Thats a strange happening but with him driving north right into the wind with the wind driving at times over 50 mph and snowing really hard I can see it happening. At least we know the cool air intake that was touted with the 600 works.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:44 PM

I had it happen 2 times on the 05 in less than 3k and it is not from following in my case. [Breaking trail @ road speed] My 99 had it happen numerous times till I pulled out the snorkle.

A good friends 04 sucked the filter out of place and ruined a turbo.[warranty] This truck now burns a ton of oil for a Cummins. There is a support missing inside these air boxes.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:00 PM

i can go behind semi's in the snow and not have a problem. ive also hit a few snow banks just to knock them down because its fun. never had a problem with my filter clogging.
Old 01-25-2005, 05:47 AM

last winter i had the same problem and it made me mad in the fact that i was stuck in the middle of the rockies with no airfilter and dodge didnt care, it had sucked right up inside of the airbox, this happened to me 3 other times in my journey across Canada. a few of these trucks have this problem, but because it is not wide spread dodge will not fix it. Make sure you check your turbo for vane damage from the snow. I would like to know who else has this problem cause i want mine fixed from the dealer, it has been a year now and still no fix. good luck and hope it gets solved soon. (we all know it wont)
Old 01-25-2005, 12:10 PM

That sucks!

That is just like when the "new" style '99 superdutys came out.

We were on a cross country trip with a brand new truck in the summer time on dry roads. (all highway, not back country dirt or anything) and the truck started running like trash and smoking like a pig, no power etc.

Wondering what's wrong with this thing????? Less than 5,000 miles.

Start poking around and air filter is pluugged tight with dirt.

The air pickup is right over the right front wheel and catches every piece of dirt coming off the tire. Great idea Ford engineers..............
Old 02-11-2005, 08:12 AM

I have been informed that it might fix the problem to run the Mopar Winter Front while driving through the snow. Sounded reasonable to me. You guys with snow injestion problems might want to try that. A lot cheaper than replacing turbos, filters, etc.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had the same problem two weeks ago- i have the mopar winter front on- it did not help!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:12 PM

The front did not help me either. I am running both the Cloud rider inserts and the mopar front.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:53 AM

Happened to me also, so now I carry a spare filter behind the rear seats and if I get stuffed then I just swap out the wet one and take it inside for a nice warm visit. Now that I'm prepared it hasn't happened since. Aftermarket intakes don't have this problem it seems! ks