3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Code: P0148

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code: P0148

Well last night i got off work from the military and drove over to the dealership to see what cars i have to transfer and such.. jumped in the truck and started out on the highway to drive 209 miles to drop off most of them.. get about 2 miles down the road and i noticed that the truck was smoking alot more then usual under acceleration... kinda like my friends when they roll the smoke out of there exhaust with there chips.. but figured since she didnt throw a code or anything figured i was fine.. so got on the highway and away i was going.. and there was this slight miss in the feel of the power at highway speeds.. so i thought maybe the veggie side of the system was clogged or something and needed a new filter so i hit the button to switch back over to diesel... still the same on diesel.. hmmm kept going and got about 8 miles down the interstate and P0148 code threw... the truck still has alot of power.. just smoking alot more then normal and has that slight miss/hesitation barely noticeable on the highway....
Old 08-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Aside from what I told you in the PM...

P0148-HIGH PRESSURE COMMON RAIL (HPCR) CHECKSUM
When Monitored: While the engine is running.
Set Condition: A deviation between the fuel pressure set point and the actual fuel pressure.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
OTHERS DTC’S PRESENT
FUEL LEAKS
FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR
FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR
CASCADE OVERFLOW VALVE
CHECK VALVE DAMAGED OR BLOCKED
FUEL RETURN LINES OBSTRUCTION, DAMAGE, OR DEBRIS.
LIFT PUMP FLOW
AIR IN FUEL SYSTEM
LEAKING FUEL INJECTORS OR HIGH PRESSURE CONNECTORS
PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE
HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP
INTERMITTENT CONDITION

Are you still running veggie oil? I'd try to flush it out with some #2 and some power service... With what you were telling me, tho, it sounds like an injector...
Old 08-15-2010, 11:10 AM

well i gotten 4 pms saying its an injector.. haha along with them offering to sell me some.. is there a easy way i can test to see if its an leaking or stuck injector?? cause the injectors in the truck have over 530k miles on them.. never had an issue tell now with my fuel system.. i been particular on keeping proper filtering and flow to the cp3 pump ever since i bought it.. first mod i did was F.A.S.S pump...
Old 08-15-2010, 11:12 AM

i also been told that my FCA is probably sticking.. is there a way i can check and clean this?? or were can i get replacement?
Old 08-15-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hold your hand on the fca and have some one turn the key on. if you feel it click it is probabally ok. madhat has the list but to check them is hard to explain. most are checked with a leak down test. i have done this out in the parking lot with out the proper fittings and let the fuel run out on the ground it is a lot easier if you get the propper fittings from miller special tools 1-507-455-7320 some one on here can check my numbers but off the top of my head i think it is 9012, 9013, 9014 and i can not remember the injector cap number. the relief valve should have no fuel flow. if it does it could be bad or othe items like the fca or cascade valve can make the pressure exceed the 26,000 lb pop off. the return from the cp3 is not to exceed 1,000 mililiters in one minute. return line from injectors 180 ml in one minute. the ecm does a self test on the fca on every start. unplug the fca and use your test light to test between the two pins. while holding the light on the pins have some one turn on the key. you should get a flash that is as bright as the light is when connected to the battery
Old 08-15-2010, 12:13 PM

ok thanks for the help.. really helped alot.. really im going to go over to the truck tomorrow.. out of town today and check it.. im not driving the truck tell i find out the issue...
Old 08-15-2010, 03:00 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Do you have smoke at idle? I have had people pull the exhaust manifold to see which cylinder is smoking, and pull that injector.

Personally, I'd pull all of them and send them in. You've got a lot of miles on that truck, I'd refresh them all at once. Re-torque the head bolts, check the valve lash, whatever other freshen up things you can do while you're in there.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:33 PM

i think i might call f1diesel unless you know someone else that i can send to that you know is better and cheaper??? im not looking for a cheap job either.. so i want someone quality and decently price i guess more so...
Old 08-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Then Don M is the only place to go.

http://www.f1diesel.com/contacts.html
Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 AM

well i contacted Don M.. and for the cost between his service on 6 of my injectors and me getting remans with 2 year warranty from pensacola fuel injectors... i think im going to stick to stock injectors...

Does anyone have any good places to get injectors from?? right now the cheapest i have come across is pensacola injector out of florida.. who i bought from before on my 2000 dodge.. for 225/injector with 2 year warranty...

also if i was to go pick up an IR gun.. how would i know which ones are what.. based off the temps.. sorry never used one before to check so unsure if im looking for a colder exhuast port or hotter cause of extra fuel.. i would take off the exhuast manifold.. but that seems like more issues then what not..
Old 08-17-2010, 02:46 PM

well i sat down and tried to do the incab code check and i couldnt get the P codes to work.. i turn it on/off 3 times and it just act normal.. but when i did the C codes it work.. what do these mean?

C 447
5 127
. 285
Old 08-17-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by storx
well i sat down and tried to do the incab code check and i couldnt get the P codes to work.. i turn it on/off 3 times and it just act normal.. but when i did the C codes it work.. what do these mean?

C 447
5 127
. 285

Start key off, turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off, turn on, leave on and watch od display.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 PM

Sticking FCA can usually be detected by pouring a bottle of two-stroke oil in the tank... If the problem goes away, its usually the FCA.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by RamWheelsBy4
Start key off, turn on, turn off, turn on, turn off, turn on, leave on and watch od display.
i tried that like 20x times.. and it still wouldnt work... but i can get hours and c codes no problem.. i dont understand.. maybe ill take a video to show it..
Old 08-19-2010, 12:00 AM

so today the truck went into the shop to find the issue..
cp3 test perfect...
fass preassure perfect..
FCA seemed to control well...

when we rev it through the rpms we would get a slight miss during certain points in the rpms.. hardly noticable.. so we set manual high idle to certain rpms were the slight missing was happening and would kill injectors.. but when we think it was such and such injector... it would move to another injector missing.. then when we think that was the one we get miss on another.. in the end we had random slight misses on all 6 injectors.. kinda annoying cause this didnt help the fact that i am trying to get the truck fixed... so i think im just going to order all 6 injectors to make sure i have a good set in.. then go from there.. while the injectors come out we are going to do a compression test cause tech is wandering if the motor is running worn rings.. but when he test drove it... he said it pulled harder then most trucks that come in unchipped.. so he is thinking the compression is find but going to test it anyways to make sure everything is happy in there..

Quick Reply: Code: P0148