3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Check engine light on after power braking.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light on after power braking.

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
If all you are looking for is a little more pep out of the hole for the occasional race, then just powerbrake the truck up to 1800 rpm's or so while holding the brake. When the light turns green, mash the pedal, and let off the brake at the same time. You will be surprised at the difference it makes.
Eric
See the original thread hear.

I tried this out the other day for $hit's and giggles. From a fill stop I held the brake and ran the tack up to about 1800 RPM's. When I let off the gas I didn't "mash the pedal", but I did let the tack run up to about 2500 before I let off at about 60mph. I did this twice, all within about 1/2 mile from the house. All seemed ok when I drove home and parked.

The next morning I went outside and turned the key. The "wait to start" light was on so I waited till it went off (about 5 to 10 seconds) before starting the engine. It started as normal and everything seemed fine.

Then I noticed the check engine light was on. I turned the ignition off, then restarted the truck. The wait to start light did not turn on again, but the check engine light was still there. The owners manual says it is safe to drive for a short time, so I drove to and from work that day (about 5 miles round trip). The truck ran fine. There was nothing noticibly wrong.

This morning I dropped the truck of with the dealer. When they asked if I had a service appointment I told them no, but with only 3500 miles I thought they could take 10 minutes to plug in the code reader and tell me if it was safe to drive to the beach on Wednesday. He scoffed and told me it took a lot more than 10 minutes to hook up a code reader, but he would see what he could do.

About 3 hours later they called and said there didn't seem to be any problems with the truck and they re-flashed the computer to clear the codes. I asked what codes had been displayed, but the service tech could not read the mechanics hand writing. He mumbled something about the turbo safety and fuel pressure, but didn't sound too sure.

I asked them to add the error codes to the paperwork so that when I picked up the truck I could maintain a record. When I pick up the truck later I will add the codes to this post.

So now I am wondering if power braking the truck caused the error codes. Anyone have any experience with this? Seems to me that I was not putting anymore stress on the truck than pulling a heavy load. Only the resistance was being applied through the rotors rather than the hitch. The engine should not see any difference though.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:10 PM

When you get the codes from the dealer go to the tech facts section and click Common FAQ - IE, ODBII, ODBIII etc.

There you will find a list of codes and what they mean.

Its very common for people to powerbrake in order to build boost before launching. I have not heard of a truck throwing codes from it though.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder how long it takes to hook up a scanner...I bet it's a lot LESS than 10 minutes. What a dumbass-he ought to be slapped for his attitude.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:36 PM

Ok, I picked up the truck. The lady at the counter had no idea what a code was, so she called the service tech, the buffer that prevents you from talking with the mechanic. I asked him where the codes were and he took out a highlighter pen. This is what he highlighted:
3612 DTC P0191 PERFORM DIAGNOSTIC INSPECTION FOR DTC P0191.
PERFORM FLASH PER TSB 18-005-06 REV B VERIFY REPAIR, SEE ATTACHED SCAN REPORTS
CODE WAS FOR FUEL RATIONALITY
Of course there is no attached scan reports... He said they reflashed the computer but was not able to elaborate on what had caused the light. Any ideas as to what "FUEL RATIONALITY" is?

NHdodgeman, I don’t see that error code. "P0192 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Low", and "P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor High" are the closest.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:40 PM

Hmm, sorry I couldnt be of much help. Someone will be in here that will help you figure out what you need.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:23 AM
Banned

Maybe the new trucks are like the Duramax/ Allisons and have tranny-salvation programming... Maybe it was the tranny that didn't like it.

Just a thought that doesn't really sound like "fuel rationality"...
Old 10-03-2006, 08:56 AM

I have power braked mine probably 400 times in 2wd and 4wd and never threw a code because of it.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just a SWAG, but fuel rationality could be tied to excessive fuel flow at a speed of 0 MPH.

Rusty