3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Be careful with oil containers

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Be careful with oil containers

I bought 3 gallons of Rotella T for my upcoming oil change.
The other day I changed my fuel filter and opened one of the gallon jugs for a dab of fresh oil to lube the fuel filter gasket.
Then put the oil jug back on the rear floor.
Well today I had a coke rolling around in the back*quadcab) and when I picked it up there was oil on the can. To my horror I saw the jug on its side.
I picked it up and the oil level was down two quarts!!
Yup two quarts of oil is soaked into my carpet. I used a 10" piece of plastic to squeegee out as much as I could. Live and learn! check the caps!!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:46 PM

how did you not smell this?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:48 PM

New oil doesnt smell that bad. THANK GOD it wasnt used oil!
Old 11-06-2006, 03:59 PM

OH LORD, I would of blown up. I get angry seeing crumbs all over my backseat.

You might want to try getting that throughly steamed cleaned, I'm sure what is already soaked in is not comming out but it wouldn't hurt to try. Do you have Black carpet?

This sortive reminds me of the post on here a while ago about some guys wife leaving shrimp in their car for a few days, all the juices soaked in the seats. Im sure that wasen't fun either.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

I have drained used oil into those gallon jugs before and put them in the back of my truck. One overturned and the whole cap popped off.

Lesson: Burn used gallon jugs before anyone can use them again. Once the seal is broke, they are absolutley worthless.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM

I have an old rubber maid container about 18"x24"x4" deep for that very reason, anytime I am going to carry anything iffffy I will take this and place the items into it in case of a spill
Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM

What a shame, I feel so bad for you!

I bought the 1 gallon Rotella from Wal-Mart a couple oil changes ago, and when I got it home, the seal was missing from both gallon jugs! I returned them for two good ones, and the girl at the return desk looked at me like I was crazy! Never know what may have dropped in those jugs.

I know this may sound crazy, but you may want to spread some fresh cat litter on the spill. It absorbs like crazy, and vacuums up without a problem. I use it in the shop, garage, and driveway all the time. Might be worth a try...good luck!
Old 11-06-2006, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, atleast it was oil. That stuff does not rot and smell like dead roadkill like milk does. The previous truck had about 1/2 gal of milk spilled in the back floorboard carpet. Should have smelled that baby a week later........
Old 11-06-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Go ahead and pull the sill plates on whichever side the oil drains to. You'll find that the ridges under the sills are full of oil as it would run to the side, then along the length of the door.

The 2nd gen carpet has a rubber backing underneath it (hoping the 3rd gen does), so most of the oil works its way out of the carpet to the sills. Although you'll still have to work to get the stuff the carpet soaked up clean. Don't ask how I know.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I know a guy who had a large bottle of Pinesol spilled in his Suburban. He traded it in about 6 months later cuz he could not get the smell out.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spilled a quart or fuel additive................. Not very nice smelling!! Seems to have dissipated though as I know longer smell it and get no complaints from passengers.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:37 PM

You put oil IN the truck? Fresh oils goes into the Engine "outside" the truck, then you drain the old oil "outside" the truck. You put used oil inside the truck??

That does suck, about the only thing I would say that works good (they use it on oil spils on the road, and for big oil tankers) use dawn. Scrub dawn into the carpet, vacume, use some water and dawn, vacume, best way to get it out (not that I know what it's like ) Works very good, and it's not as harsh as using brake cleaner, or some of the other ones. I can't even imagine that Like others said, used oil would have been bad
Old 11-06-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Typical Newbie mistake, putting oil in the wrong place... better the carpet than the Coolant Hole, Washer Hole, Brake Hole, Clutch Hole, Tranny Hole, or Rearend Hole

Some have reported putting oil in the Fuel Hole with good results...
Old 11-07-2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Tom282
I bought the 1 gallon Rotella from Wal-Mart a couple oil changes ago, and when I got it home, the seal was missing from both gallon jugs! I returned them for two good ones, and the girl at the return desk looked at me like I was crazy! Never know what may have dropped in those jugs.
You think that is bad... My neighbor bought a 5 quart jug of Castrol to change the oil in his wifes car at WalMart. Went to add the oil and it was USED OIL. Someone had put their used oil back into the container and returned it to Walmart for a refund. Man he was upset, good thing I was home so I could take him to WalMart to get it exchanged for some fresh oil. He let them have it at the Service Desk.

Hub
Old 11-07-2006, 10:22 AM

One time I bought 4 bottles of mobile 1 diff fluid and the some jerk put old unknown oil in the bottle.I go and put it in my diff alittle spills out and it's used dirty fluid,I went back to auto zone a little upset

Quick Reply: Be careful with oil containers