3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

California OBD recall K01

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by banana

BTW, is everybody paying $471 for the registration renewal (license fee $203 and $204 weight fee)? Thats just crazy!

I paid $173.88 when I registered my truck . No weight fee...Bought the truck last summer used. That's the total tax & tag. no weight fee or smog test. Thank god I live in Alabama. I got the flash notice. As we say in the south...Ain't no Smog testing down here. So, I'll just throw mine away
Old 06-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ridgeman
Bigiron did they plug their computer into anything on your truck?
Yeah, they plugged their computer into the truck, but that was while I was still watching from the office, so I don't know if it actually hooked up. I didn't go out to help until I saw that they were completely confused.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:12 AM

Has anyone else had this recall done? If so, myself and others would like to know, how it all turned out. Any ill effects?
Old 06-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Yep I just started a ssimilar thread...
Old 06-22-2010, 03:54 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigiron
Yeah, they plugged their computer into the truck, but that was while I was still watching from the office, so I don't know if it actually hooked up. I didn't go out to help until I saw that they were completely confused.
Where in SF area are you?

I'm in the East Bay.

No Recall.

No Computer hooked up.

They looked under the hood, they looked for the Cat, they blipped the throttle 3 times and said I passed.

Oh ya... it was $30.00 out the door ($21.75 test, $8.25 Certificate) at VIP Smog in Antioch, think they have a Pleasant Hill location also for those nearby.

For those wondering, the Snap test doesn't measure the opacity of the smoke. They look for Blue smoke and they look to see if the smoke clears within 3 seconds of lifting off of the throttle.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by steelblitzkrieg
Where in SF area are you?

I'm in the East Bay.

No Recall.

No Computer hooked up.

They looked under the hood, they looked for the Cat, they blipped the throttle 3 times and said I passed.

Oh ya... it was $30.00 out the door ($21.75 test, $8.25 Certificate) at VIP Smog in Antioch, think they have a Pleasant Hill location also for those nearby.

For those wondering, the Snap test doesn't measure the opacity of the smoke. They look for Blue smoke and they look to see if the smoke clears within 3 seconds of lifting off of the throttle.
I'm on the penninsula and the Smog Only shop is in Redwood City. I payed $49 plus the $8.25 and that was with a $20 discount coupon. I still haven't received the recall, but like I said, I don't have to think about it for another two years.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:14 PM

Well, I guess I have to do this recall. My registration is due "No Smog Cert." required. I live in one of those areas of CA, that don't have smog checks. I tried to do the online registration and it won't let me. I did receive my second notice for the K01 recall about three weeks ago, and it says "CA requires the completion of emission recall repairs prior to vehicle registration renewal". I guess they are telling the truth, because DMV won't re-register without documentation indicating that the recall has been completed.
Has anyone out there suffered anymore ill effects lately, after having this the K01 recall done. I just want to know if they have this ECM flash perfected yet. I don't want my horn to honk in reverse, mileage to go down, or loose power. I like my truck just the way it is. Anyway, I have an appointment on Wednesday. I'll let you all know how mine turns out, after a tank or two of fuel has been run through it.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:33 PM

Exclamation Recieved my second k01 recall notice.

Based on what some guys said about the recall scared me. I was eager to register my truck with a out of state family member.

So, DMV block my registration for not getting the recall done. So I finally took it in and got it done. After the recall I fired her up within 2 seconds in idle the engine cut off.

I marched back into the office and told them. The ''technician" came out and hooked up to the obd2 and scanned it. I was looking over his holders and the scanner said 'security key code', so that's what the tech told me what the problem was and said they had more work to do.

So back in the garage it goes. After 30 min the tech drove her out and said they re flashed it again and took care of the security key code that made her shut off the first time and I shouldn't have a problem.

Drove her home and there was NO difference what so ever. It was the same truck. There was no difference in the shift time, RPM when it shifts, or drop in MPG. It improved the MPG went up from 22.3 on the overhead to 24.7 traveling at 50mph @ 1500RPMs. The only difference I saw was when I punch it there is less smoke.

Last edited by YounanDiesel; 09-22-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Update
Old 01-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Cal is an Eco **** state. They have managed to sway the majority that controlling a few of us will be best for all. The gov is running businesses off every day. Did my k01 recall a couple of weeks ago and have been driving the 93 since, don't really know it's results yet. I'm still trying to get over them telling me what to do. California is geographically awsome, but my god there's some ****** up people here.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
For whatever reason,the K01 reflash fried my ECM and another part. STAR @ Dodge accepted responsibility and supplied a new ECM and the small part. I had uninstalled Smarty two weeks prior. Tech pointblank asked me if a "power enhancing program" had been installed. I replied in the negative.

Anyway they released the truck and it was the same old dog-self without Smarty. I had to drive it for 200 miles before the dealer could smog it. No sweat. Updated Smarty is back on board,same driveability and fuel economy.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:06 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by babyray55
Cal is an Eco **** state.
Youp!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Had it done, no noticeable difference.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chip
If you can, run from Cal. as fast as you can. That state is beyond broke. California has been Pelosi-ized, which is exactly how they(Progressives) want it. Cal is looking and scrounging for ways to make any money they can. Don't get me wrong, California is a beautiful state and it's not about not liking the state, it's just the control freaks that are trying to run the state, and running it they are, right into the GROUND!!!!!!
If CA ever goes broke - your state is (or will be) in deep economic trouble!
CA - Sixth or eighth largest economy in the WORLD.

Civics 101.
Whether you like or hate Pelosi - she is a member of the United States House of Representatives from the CA 8th Congressional District.

So what - you say!??

She is *NOT* part of the CA legislature (State Senate or State Assembly).

As such she does *NOT* have any vote on CA legislation (such as smog laws) at the *STATE* level.

CA smog laws are *NOT* federal legislation.

However *your* state may jump on the same bandwagon soon - if it hasn't already. (It's called - - "Revenue"!)

If you haven't caught on to CARB & EPA you aren't paying attention!
Try to buy an "old style" Jerry can. Watch for things like lawn mowers and generators with "integrated" exhaust systems, etc.

BTW - Arizona was testing diesels before CA.

If you left your truck stock - or waited long enough to have your mods CARB certified - smog test is nothing except a pain in the wallet.

~
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
LA Times just announced that the overwhelming majority of Californians support Brown's huge tax increase, sales tax and hitting the "rich=productive" for more money.

They must have polled the folks who won't work and enjoy all the entitlements the Dems have built into the system here. I'm all for helping those who are seriously mentally/physically incapitated but the system props up a lot of bums.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if this recall is really worth the hassle of packing up and moving from this beautiful state because from what I've been told, the K01 reflash streamlines the emissions testing process by improving comminication between the ECM and some of the latest emissions testing equipment that is now on the market. Apparently many 2003-2007 vehicles from all brands have similar compatibility issues with Land Rover as being one of the worst offenders. A savvy technican can work around the issues but obviously work-arounds are not encouraged by the California BAR.

Quick Reply: California OBD recall K01