3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

BullyDog downloader broke my ECM, 250 miles from home, and $1700 - options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
maybe so, I've called them and passed on info to them, they don't seem too interested in our offers to help. they only want to replace parts.

here's "rumor and conjecture" ... that was the underlying feeling i got from their techs....they (corporate) know that they are disabling peoples trucks, but they don't want to do anything about it, and the techs did not seem to agree with that.

i explained that a HyperTech that is locked to another VIN doesn't DESTROY the next car you hook it to, it just warns you and won't work. it don't cost $2000 to figure out the last guy unloaded it wrong. their techs agreed with that under thier breath.
The modules are locked from the factory (as in you shouldn't be able to modify the cal to begin with). You would not be able to reflash the ECM if you didn't unlock it first.

When you plug a DRBIII into the truck, it unlocks the ECM when it first communicates (handshake).

If you screw up the boot loader, you do create a brick (ECM has to be sent to Motorola to be fixed). Sometimes its possible to ROM boot the ECM and put new code in it.

The bottom line is if the VIN was mismatched, the truck would crank but not start. The dealer would only have to tell the ABS module to send the VIN to the PCM using a DRBIII and you would be on your way.

SuperD is right again. You either have a wiring problem that overloaded the ECM with too much current (very doubtful). Or the DC dealer is putting the screws to you (much more likely).
Old 01-03-2006, 11:31 AM

when I sold my 04.5, I programmed it back to stock, & kept my power pup. after I put a few miles on my 05, I tried to program it, it just desplayed "unknown vehicle" wouldn't change any programming. sent it back & they reprogammed it for $50.00 for the 05, has worked great since. I think your problem (could be wrong) probably came from your friend not setting the first truck back to stock before you tried to program yours, from what the techs have told me, if they are same year trucks you can program as many as you want, but only one truck at a time can have anything other than the stock program.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by STATELINE
when I sold my 04.5, I programmed it back to stock, & kept my power pup. after I put a few miles on my 05, I tried to program it, it just desplayed "unknown vehicle" wouldn't change any programming. sent it back & they reprogammed it for $50.00 for the 05, has worked great since. I think your problem (could be wrong) probably came from your friend not setting the first truck back to stock before you tried to program yours, from what the techs have told me, if they are same year trucks you can program as many as you want, but only one truck at a time can have anything other than the stock program.
I've heard the same thing. the downloader takes the stock program out and puts in the modified program. When you go back to stock, its vice versa. Then you can program another truck.

If it had someone elses stock program in it, you would definitely get a VIN mismatch and no-start (cranks but doesnt start).

I think your parking brake light and abs light should come on too when there's a vin mismatch.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:29 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
Isn't this similiar to what the new Catcher "Smarty" will do?
Yes, otherwise you and I could share one and just Fedex it back and forth to each other as we needed it.

Kinda scary that a device that you can throw in your glove box is going to be responsible for storing your OEM ECU program??

Sounds like adding a "box", aka "Chip" or other device isn't so much more inferior to a programmer? One $1,700 repair adds up to quite a few Van Aaken or Edge products.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:38 PM

I'll give you $100 for your junk ECM if/when you get it back. Seriously.

I think you got your signals crossed here between the dealer and BD. BD doesn't hose ECM's on purpose and I doubt this used downloader hosed yours.

Superduty is right on all counts. The dealer is the last place I want working on my truck. It's possible that the ECM has let it's smoke out. If that truly is the case then Dodge owes you a new ECM and they need to prove that the reflash from the BD caused it (if it's still under warranty that is).

I wouldn't argue over a cople hundred bucks maybe, but I'd burn their dealer to the ground for this mess.

Andy
Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 PM

This may be a dumb question but here goes...

In another post a few people had problems withthe bully dog downloading a brazill/argentina program when the truck was "put back to stock"..

Someone posted that to protect the software you could not read a program off the ECM only reprogram the ECM. Therefore the Bullydog was not storing "your" program data just returning it to a preprogramed Stock configuration already loaded in the bullydog.

in one of the posts the guy was a tech at dodge and said he tried to reload the origional program from the dealer DRBII, but the Brazill program had a higher number that the US version so it would not let him reload an earlier (lower number) version into his truck.

If this is the case a dealer will know upon plugging into the computer if there has been a downloader programed into the truck previously because of service records and also when they reprogram they also sticker the truck. (i know the sticker can be removed).

If the above is true then one would have to be very careful to make sure BD had the exact program that was in your truck as the stock configuration in the downloader box.

I wonder if their free 3 day trial returns the truck to it original configuration or to what ever stock program happened to be in the trial box when it was installed????

Almost sounds like a downloader is very risky as opposed to a add on box..

Gerry
Old 01-03-2006, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by realsquash
I wouldn't argue over a cople hundred bucks maybe, but I'd burn their dealer to the ground for this mess.

Andy

.....better go back and read on who/what started this mess.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by J BODY
.....better go back and read on who/what started this mess.
I read it all before I posted.

Andy
Old 01-03-2006, 09:45 PM
tcb

superduty, that is great advise and awful nice of you to help out. your truck looks great, now my question, are you near alabama, i need some help on my truck.
tim
Old 01-03-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the BD dealer who put this BD DL in my truck (just doing it for me, since we happened to be together around Christmas) had put a Free Download in my truck a month or so earlier ( I posted about it ). I would not assume the program it returns it to is stock, I lost ~2mpg after the free download expired.

Andy, PM Sent I've lost a LOT of my temper since I got out the military, I haven't bit, slapped, punched, kicked, picked up, thrown, or otherwise been overly aggressive to other human beings since i got out.

Nowadays, I try to be rational, but it's hard to be level headed sometimes. this ignorance started on Christmas Day, and has pretty much went downhill since then, too wore down now to get excited.

I've got a friend who is local trying to figure out if it's worth a ~$200 dollar tow bill to get it taken to another dealership that thinks they can fix it. it's prolly an hour drive down and hour back,

these trucks don't fit on regular car trailers....they one we used on Christmas day was rated at 5200#, and we had a squat on it, with the tires bowing up a little. towed it with another CTD, but it was not fun.

When you read the news about the Miner's and crap going on this world, you realize there are things more important than trucks breaking down. Wife's Dad was in them mine's till Black Lung ran him out.

But this is pretty big in my little corner of the world.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Banned

ummm.... why not buy the used ECM for $250 and put it in your truck. With any luck you can get your present ECM going again, re install it and sell the used one. Or sell your original one. You might get away with only a reprogramming charge.

This is none of my business. I'm just saying that is what I would do.

I know a company that does Cummins conversions that programmed an ECM for a Ford swap in November. They might be another resource. I can give you a link or a name if you want.

If you get lucky, they might program it for you on another engine and send it to you ready to go. You could change it yourself in the dealer's lot if you wanted. Or if they have your present ECM out, just send it to them to reprogram.

Just some thoughts. I'd do a lot of things before I'd spend $1700 in this situation. Just the principle of it makes me mad. Heck I got mad just reading it and it wasn't my truck.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by gerry
This may be a dumb question but here goes...

In another post a few people had problems withthe bully dog downloading a brazill/argentina program when the truck was "put back to stock"..

Someone posted that to protect the software you could not read a program off the ECM only reprogram the ECM. Therefore the Bullydog was not storing "your" program data just returning it to a preprogramed Stock configuration already loaded in the bullydog.

in one of the posts the guy was a tech at dodge and said he tried to reload the origional program from the dealer DRBII, but the Brazill program had a higher number that the US version so it would not let him reload an earlier (lower number) version into his truck.

If this is the case a dealer will know upon plugging into the computer if there has been a downloader programed into the truck previously because of service records and also when they reprogram they also sticker the truck. (i know the sticker can be removed).

If the above is true then one would have to be very careful to make sure BD had the exact program that was in your truck as the stock configuration in the downloader box.

I wonder if their free 3 day trial returns the truck to it original configuration or to what ever stock program happened to be in the trial box when it was installed????

Almost sounds like a downloader is very risky as opposed to a add on box..

Gerry
I agree. I've said it before. They can tell if you have a downloader and its only a matter of time before DC starts "training" their dealer on how to find it and document it.

I do not agree that DC would have to prove the downloader caused the ECM to fail. The warranty says if you modify the vehicle, the warranty is void. Regardless if anything breaks or not. Its pretty nieve to think otherwise.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:32 AM

The dealer isn't going to be any more "trained" to pick up on a "dowloader" (I hate that name, how 1st grade) than they are for fixing anything else on these engines. Maybe the most trained techs who do nothing but work on this stuff every day can figure it out, but they are very few and far between.

The burden of proof IS on the dealer to prove that your modification has broken whatever it is they are investigating. If you bend over and wait you're going to get it.

Andy
Old 01-04-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just talked to Bullydog, one of thier guys got on here, read the whole post, and knows what the problem is, and will re-flash my downloader to restore the ECM

He said the ECM not talking to the Scan tool is fixed with this download.

He said the Downloader I have is a very Early release, and did have not a required parameter. He assured me that the other units do not have this problem, and this problem could only surface while shifting Downloaders from one truck to another.

I got the impression that if I had pushed harder on Tech Support, they could have put me through to this guy and he could have had me running sooner.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:28 AM

Excellent. It's about d@mn time. Wish the BullyDog guys would sign up here as members and post.

Richard

Quick Reply: BullyDog downloader broke my ECM, 250 miles from home, and $1700 - options?