3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Block heater / warmer

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CoastalDav
Global Warming ? Yea Right!

That set up used to be called a bubbler unit. Hope it does the job for you.

Wer're still waiting on the Cold Front down here. Usually by Xmas.

Dave
No, no, it's "climate change" now... get it right!!! For some strange reason people were having a hard time believing Al's story about how the world was gonna melt.

Are we at a consensus then that at 20* +/- 3 hours on the block heater is suffecient to get warm air fairly quickly?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 PM

My 92 had a block heater that produced hot air, "higher output". I would rather have the tank heater, but I don't know if their is a plug on the bottom of the block for coolant. I used to install on OTR trucks, but they all had a couple of 3/8" pipe bungs on the block. They needed one coming in low to work correctly, but they worked great.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The block heater should be 750 watts. I have it and a 100w stick on oil pan heater and run 0w40 oil. When she's real cold she gets plugged in all the time. Instant oil pressure and grid heaters that don't come on mean longer battery and alternator life. You will also have less engine wear if you use the block heater. I start my truck let it run for a couple minutes and then roll.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:41 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GASKICKER
I have been doing some experimenting of my own the past couple of winters.
The truck is parked in a garage 99.5% of the time...this is what I have experienced.
Outside temps 12-30*, but the truck is in a garage / plugged in for 2 hrs, 100* engine temp upon start up /// plugged in for 1 hr, the engine temp upon start up is ~80*.
Outside temp 0-12*, truck in the weather / plugged in all night ~10hrs, 100* engine temp upon start up.
I dont know if 100* is the max heating available; but 2 hrs seems to be enough for my needs.
These temps are taken from the Edge Attitude monitor and there is warm (meaning not HOT) air coming from the vents. I really like it, cant figure out why I havent been using it more often the last 5 yrs because this winter I have used it almost daily.
It's freaking Global warming!!!!!! Ive already burned more wood in a month and a half this year than I have all of last year!!!! it's been cold and wet!!!!

Originally Posted by CRToney
The block heater should be 750 watts. I have it and a 100w stick on oil pan heater and run 0w40 oil. When she's real cold she gets plugged in all the time. Instant oil pressure and grid heaters that don't come on mean longer battery and alternator life. You will also have less engine wear if you use the block heater. I start my truck let it run for a couple minutes and then roll.

Yep!!!!!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by CRToney
My grid heaters still cycle after my truck is plugged in all night,and i am in california. Maybe an oil pan heater keeps your grid heaters from coming on..
Old 12-16-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
I just bought one of these the other day.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9137_200339137
I picked it up at a local farm suply store. I circulates coolant.
I need to get it on ASAP. Its suposed to get down to -10F tonight and barely break 0 tomarrow and we havent even got into the cold part of the year. The factory block heater works fine and the truck starts with no problem but I want heat rite away and the block heater just dont do it. The problem is that hear in NW Iowa there is usaly a good 20mph wind on average daily and when its -10 the wind sucks the heat out of the coolant as fast as the block heater can put it in. I leave it pluged in all nite in the garage and all day at work when its this cold. I plan to use the block heater at home and the tank heater at work where it needs th extra heating capacity and electricity is free.
Go buy a Dodge Winter Front they help keep the water temp up to 180+ when driving even at -17 below zero at 70 MPH with all four flaps closed. The other night we hit -13 below and I only had the truck plugged in 2 hours in the garage and had 60+ degree heat with in 3-4 minutes of start up. BTW yes I do keep a thermometer in the heat vent year round so that I know how well the A/C is working and heat in the winter.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by justin mcfall
My grid heaters still cycle after my truck is plugged in all night,and i am in california. Maybe an oil pan heater keeps your grid heaters from coming on..
grid heater works off of outside air temp. OAT is located in the air box. I can be at full operating temp, shut the truck off for 5 minutes, restart and my grid heater cycles and engine is still up to operating temp.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
grid heater works off of outside air temp. OAT is located in the air box. I can be at full operating temp, shut the truck off for 5 minutes, restart and my grid heater cycles and engine is still up to operating temp.
Thank you sir..
Old 12-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
Go buy a Dodge Winter Front they help keep the water temp up to 180+ when driving even at -17 below zero at 70 MPH with all four flaps closed. The other night we hit -13 below and I only had the truck plugged in 2 hours in the garage and had 60+ degree heat with in 3-4 minutes of start up. BTW yes I do keep a thermometer in the heat vent year round so that I know how well the A/C is working and heat in the winter.
I have the radiator 100% blocked by cardboard and cant tell one bit of diference on how fast it warms up in this below 0 temps we are having. I plug it in all nite in the garage and all day at work. I let it run maybee 2 or 3 minutes in the morning before work and maybee a minute or two after work. It still takes several miles before I have any heat and its only 8 miles to work. I am installing a tank heater so I have heat faster. I HATE cold.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM

Can any of your guys hear your block heater when you plug it in....I am curious as to what that trickeling/gurgling sounds are? I plug my truck in and about 10 seconds later I hear a gurgling sounds almost like a fan/pump moving fluid or something.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
I have the radiator 100% blocked by cardboard and cant tell one bit of diference on how fast it warms up in this below 0 temps we are having. I plug it in all nite in the garage and all day at work. I let it run maybee 2 or 3 minutes in the morning before work and maybee a minute or two after work. It still takes several miles before I have any heat and its only 8 miles to work. I am installing a tank heater so I have heat faster. I HATE cold.
If you can plug the block heater in for more then 4 hours and have the radiator covered 100% and not have heat in 8 miles then I would check to see if the T stat is sticking open or you have blockage to the heater core.

In 8 miles at 55 MPH I'm turning the heat down and fan speed to its slowest speed as by that time the thermometer shows the vent temp to be 110+ degrees. Attached is a photo of my winter front, if it did not show up I up loaded a copy to my photo gallery or see it here: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...39&postcount=9
Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 PM

ok so where is the 1500 watt one that fits our trucks?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Engine Block Heater

For some reason, I can't find the cord for the block heater on my engine 5.9 HO. Any suggestions?
Old 12-19-2009, 05:18 PM

Crawl under on pass. side... look up at oil filter, just a couple inches behind it you will see the block heater, if there is a cord on it, follow to front of truck, if no cord, get 1 from Geno's or Ebay, then install....
Old 12-19-2009, 06:24 PM

Block Heater

Thank you, I'll check that out. Anthony

Quick Reply: Block heater / warmer