3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bio clogging injectors??

Old 05-02-2007, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bio clogging injectors??

A Ford diesel tech told a buddy of mine that bio would clog injectors in 30-40k miles. He said the semis and tractor engines had bigger injectors and would not clog. I told him about Cummins approving the CTD for B20. Any of you guys heard of this?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 PM

I have heard many complain about bio being a problem, maybe it is only in cold weather, but complaints regardless.

I personally have no plans of running bio in my truck, in fact I would drive way out of my way NOT to use it since there are too many questions and not enough answers.

I see this is your 1st post, welcome to the DTR forums. Take a minute and fill in your sig so we know what year truck you have, makes it easier to answer any questions you might have as some answers are truck specific.

CD
Old 05-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Cummins did just a couple months ago approve B20 for use in ISX, ISM, ISL, ISC and ISB engines. But if you read all the information regarding the B20 approval, it states that it does not apply to the "dodge" engines but doesn't give any indication why.

I run ATSM standard BIO at 5 gallons per fill up, which i'm assuming gives me approx. B15-B18 depending on how low my tank its at fill up. I only do this in the warm weather months and have had no problems at all.

But with any matter like this, its your own opinion that counts most since its your own engine your running it in.

Mike
Old 05-03-2007, 12:12 AM

It is not the Bio-Fuel clogging your injectors, but old asphalts and contamates in the fuel lines and tanks. Bio-fuel tend to be a detergent and will loosen any old fuel partilces or contaminates in the fuel system. Even post filter. This is why when running Bio-fuel you are told to keep an eye on your fuel filters and change them more often at first when switching to Bio-Fuel.

Dodge has not approved the higher blends of Bio-Fuel due to regulation regarding the quality and refinery process of the fuel. Another reason is the new emission controls and particle traps are not compatible with the burnt gases from higher blended Bio-Fuel. The gases created by Bio-Fuel will clog the particle traps and hinder the emission reduction. I think they are playing it safe for now.

Shawn
Old 05-03-2007, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Carry a few spare filters and means to change them. Bio will "clean your engine" as it it a great solvent. Bio also will gel more quickly.(about 26 degrees F.) However, there is no need to fear Bio in any way. If you use it you will illiminate the need for addatives as it is also is a good lubricant. It's not the Bio that may clog injectors, it's the "crud" Bio dissolves from your engine. Especially if you have a high milage engine.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:26 AM

I just started running B20. They sell it at our Shell Station. Ran one tank then changed fuel filter.. My truck has about 14K on it.

No real MPG change.. I can not believe how smooth the motor sounds... NO need for lube in fuel now... Bye bye PS + MOMO, Still running HOWES injector cleaner.

They sell huge volume at the station, and it's the same price. If it is more I just get the least expensive of the 2 pumps. I do like the way B20 runs.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some interesting Bio info......I wont run it in my 06. it's not cost effective yet and maybe never will be it just keeps going up in price around me.
http://relentlessdiesel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24
Old 05-03-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I asked Dodge Ast. SM today if its Ok to use B-20 being Cummins said it was OK. He said as far as he knows Dodge has not yet approved the use of B-20 in our trucks and if I had warranty on my truck to only use B-5. So CYA if you use B-20 and you still have any warranty left on your truck and if you get someone at a dealer saying its Ok to use B-20 then get it in writing.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bluedeviltorque
Cummins did just a couple months ago approve B20 for use in ISX, ISM, ISL, ISC and ISB engines. But if you read all the information regarding the B20 approval, it states that it does not apply to the "dodge" engines but doesn't give any indication why.
Seems my post about Cummins approving B20 for its engines wasn't clear. It was approved for the above engines, including the ISB.... BUT.... Not the ISB that is in the Dodge applications. I'd still like to know why that is, but i'm sure its got something to do with the software and performance requirements that Dodge applies to our version of the motor.

Mike