3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Been A while, Now have a Trans. shutter prob, need advice...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been A while, Now have a Trans. shutter prob, need advice...

Hello Folks, been a long time since I been on here, unfortunately its not just to say hello I have my '05 Ram, andits babied to the max. Still looks brand new, only has 28,000 mi on her, but I just started getting the low throttle trans shutter and sometimes funky 3-4 shift where it feels like it goes right from 3-4 without holding 3rd for maybe a lil more longer. Ive had that funny 3-4 thing prob for the entire time Ive owned the truck, but the 2nd gear shutter has just started like a week ago, and Im affraid to drive it. I did research and see alot of other peple have this, and its a solenoid and band adjustment. My question is, Im from Staten Island NY, and was wondering if there is anyone on here from the surrounding areas that have had this problem, and brought their truck to a dealer that ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING, and knows how to fix the problem. I HATE, HATE bringing my truck to anyone, but with my bad back, I cannot fix this myself. I do have the Gold extended warranty, and dont know if this will be covered. Is this problem a big concern, or a common easy fix?? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Also a big hello to all my friend on here, and hope all are haveing a good New Year so far...
Old 01-18-2011, 05:39 PM

60 views, and no one can chime in?? Can someone at least tell me if there is a reputable dealership in the NY/NJ area that someone has dealt with and knows how to fix the problem without any hiccups?
Old 01-26-2011, 05:49 PM

ok, 135 views, and still no one can give a little advice, and yet, still see threads about idle surging and voltage drops due to the grid heater, and responses like crazy for that?? Boy, when I joined this site over 5 yrs ago, you post a question, and people would practically bombard you with help, guess things have changed...
Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have the Maxi care extended warranty ( aka there best) the shuttle shift problem should be covered. I had the valve body go out in mine and they replaced it and the solenoids under my extended warranty. I will say if you take it in and they can not reproduce the shift problem or it has thrown a code they will say sorry can't do anything at this time bring it back if it keep acting up.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 PM

My 05 had the shift hunt and starts out from a stop in 2nd or 3rd gear when towing. Over the past year I took it to dealer 3 times. First time they flashed the tranny, no change. Second time they rebuilt the tranny, no change. Third time they changed a some parts and no change. Last week I unhooked the batteries to clean the wires and posts and after I hooked them up again no hunt! Not sure of starting out in higher gear yet. Everything was covered under warranty, had to pay $100 deductible for the rebuild.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Thanks for the reply guys. Im going to try and find a dealer that says "Yes, we know of the problem, and we know how to fix it", dont want to go to a dealer that says "we dont know what your talking about, but we can look at it". I completely love my truck, but to be honest, at 28,300 babied miles, and for it to have trans probs, throws a red flag for me. If it comes down to someone trying to do a rebuild for me, I will have no prob trading it in for a GMC. The biggest factor for me is trying to find a reputable service dealership near me. No way Im gonna bring it to my local guy, he's actually all over the net for bad service. Im really in a tiff over this, its very hard for me to hand my keys over to a half a$$ dealer or mechanic. Ive seen the sticky thread on the shutter prob, and I'm going to mention about the solenoid, flush, and band adjustment, I would mention a new valve body, but Im sure a service dept wont just throw one in unless they deem it bad.