3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Bed Rails

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Rails

I just got a line x liner sprayed in my truck. The line x guy said that Dodges have weak bed rails and that I should spray over the rail.....I told him it didn't matter cause I had diamond plate bed caps on the way.....Anyone else have troble with weak bed caps.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by jrogers
I just got a line x liner sprayed in my truck. The line x guy said that Dodges have weak bed rails and that I should spray over the rail.....I told him it didn't matter cause I had diamond plate bed caps on the way.....Anyone else have troble with weak bed caps.
PSsshhtt.. please. Is he saying that Linex will make them more rigid? They charge more for "over the rail" that's all he was doing. I will tell you this, they are a heck of a lot stronger than my last four Chevys. The Chevy would dent if you just put your knee on the rail to go over the side of the bed! If you are putting bed rail caps on anyway, don't bother.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:22 PM

most trucks now-a-days have weak bedrails. I line-x my over them and they added a good bit of strength. With todays auto companys cutting every penny they can, we get crappy sheet metal. I know my '79 chevy i can stand on my hood and it not even bend, when i wash the roof of my dodge its just bends and warps with the slightest of pressure.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jrogers

I had mine sprayed, not because they are "weak" (I walk on mine all the time, weigh about 220lbs., not much flex if any), but just because truck bed rails in general take a beating. More for cosmetic reasons than structural. Spraying won't "strengthen" the rail per se, it just protects it from small dents, dings and scratches. Diamond plate would certainly stiffen them up though.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:24 PM

Like jwooden I did mine because I like the way it looks and I walk on them frequently. Also they do take a beating and Line-X does protect them. I haven't noticed any flex but haven't looked for any either. I didn't check the pricing on rail caps I just had them sprayed. I do have a diamond plate box in the bed and I find that in the summer sun that the Line-X is not as hot as the diamond plate.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:44 PM

I bought bed raiils. They were on my truck for about a week & I was washing my truck & noticed that they had scratched the living hell out of my truck bed . I went back to the place I bought them from & they took them off & buffed the scratches out. Then they went ahead & put rhino over the rails for free.So If I was you i'd send them back!!!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:23 PM

Thumbs up

I layed the bed caps on and drew a line. Had bullhide spray to that line. So in essence, i had them sprayed and have the caps. You cant see the spray underneath. The reason i did it that way was so when the caps vibrate, they wont scratch the truck and provide a starting place for rust...
Old 04-30-2006, 11:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I pretty much went with the same theory.

When I had mine sprayed, I had them stop on the outside edge of the top of the rail, not wrapped down the sides slightly like they usually do.

I didn't want bed rail caps, but would get some if I dented up the bedrails someday. This way if I put on caps, the liner won't show on the outside edge of the caps.