3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Is the automatic OK? (again, I know, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Is the automatic OK? (again, I know, sorry)

If you want an auto go 4:10's and you will be fine. Pull 10,000# like that with no problems.<br><br>As for auto in big trucks, you guys are wrong. Auto are becoming more comin in full size semi's all the time, they are out thier and improving all the time. Where do you think Allison came from?
Old 11-12-2002, 01:51 PM

Luke you are so right on the 4.10 needed for towing heavy loads. <br><br>I know my 5 speed is able to tow my 10800# 5er up a 6-7% grade in 4th 1:1 ratio) gear. A 3.53 or 3.73 wouldn't be able without a downshift to 3rd. If towing with an 47RE auto a 4.10 could pull this in 3rd (1:1 ratio) in converter lock-up, with a 3.73 it would downshift to 2nd out of converter lock-up. and overheat before reaching the top of an 8 mile 6-7% grade.<br><br>
Old 11-12-2002, 02:50 PM

Once again, I think for my purposes the automatic will be just fine (7000# trailer) and my wife will be able to drive it... Wait a minute is that a good thing? I may have to rethink this yet again . Thanks.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Hunter link=board=20;threadid=6850;start=0#65502 date=1037079703]<br>You will never see a heavy duty truck with an auto. <br><br>They will not take the load. <br><br>Hunter<br>[/quote]<br><br>If Deno (sp?) was here I'm sure he'd disagree with you.<br>I believe he has told of very heavy duty trucks with automatic transmissions before.<br>I won't say anything more, let him speak for himself, but he's convinced me that I chose wisely (not stock, but after some aftermarket additions).<br><br>phox
Old 11-12-2002, 11:22 PM

phox<br><br>Ok, I do agree with you, Jack and others about this auto/manual tranny issue.<br><br>But, why should one have to pay, $100's or $1,000's to get their truck to do close to what a stock DC HO Cummins 6 speed tranny will do with full factory warranty?<br><br>To me it is like going down to the local boat shop, purchasing a very nice hull with a crap motor. Taking it home, discarding the motor and putting on a super duper pooper scooper for another $$$$$$$$$ how many dollars? and then having no warranty. What the heck is the advantage to that?<br><br>Why not just start with what is proven, is stock, is warranted and for almost sure won't fail?<br><br>I don't believe anyone here is saying you cannot build an auto trannie for any size Dodge Cummins, but why is this the question for me?<br><br>Can DC supply me with an auto tranny that will hook up to a 305HP, 555 torque Cummins 2003 common rail diesel and make me feel I will not be &quot;on a hill in the middle of Mexico with a Dodge automatic transmission&quot;?<br><br>For now, I don't think they can for these reasons<br><br>#1 They can't configure a 47RE to take the new torque and horses<br><br>#2 They won't warranty anything if you spend a ton of $$$$$$ on tranny updates<br><br>#3 When they do come out with a 48RE, who knows for many years if it will take the new HP/Torque Cummins engines? I don't, they don't (For sure they will warrantee them, but do you want to become a DC guinea pig? For free, at their expense? Not me!<br><br>Not unless they give me the truck for free and will for sure take care of me when I take the family out for our annual two week vacation. <br><br>I wanna be shiftin' the gears, fully knowing I will get to my destination (god willing on other factors) and not worrying if my 47RE or my new and improved 48RE tranny will get me there. <br><br>At this point, it is unimportant whom will pay for the repairs etc.....DC will not reimburse your vacation time ladies and gentlemen. Rebuild all the trannies you want but leave my family vacation time alone!<br><br>Are auto trannies that important to you folks?<br><br>Sorry about going on so long gang about this issue, but each and every one here admits if you are towing and or want reliability without spending any out of pocket $$$$ you want the Dodge HO 6speed at this time and juncture.<br><br>Now I will depart the soap box (I was a total auto tranny guy) (check out the posts many many months ago until I did the proper research)<br><br>Do your D and D<br><br>Again sorry to go so long, just been there, done that, read a lot and interviewed a lot, finally coming to the best result for ME, with the most $$$$ for the bang, the best truck, with the most assured warranty.<br><br>Do what is best for you but do your research!<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-13-2002, 12:15 AM

That was a purty long Sermon, Hunter.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:50 AM

Hunter, I just want to get this straight, you think the manual is the way to go? You've been a little vague and non-committal in your posts . Seriously though, don't you think you are painting with very broad brush? 90% of my driving will be around town and not towing. I could have gotten the Hemi with the 5-speed auto but I new the CTD would be much better for those times that I am towing. I have friends that tow 6000+ pound trailers with the 5.9 Magnum, 5.3 Vortec, and the 5.4 Triton all with slushomatics; I should be golden with the Cummins and an automatic towing 7000#, and I would expect 9 or 10000.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:32 AM

???Dealseeker, I personally believe that you would not have a problem towing with the 7000# with the 47RE. This is based on my experience towing various weights of trailers in the past. I have a utility trailer which has a GVWR which I have loaded to the max on several occasions and towed with two different Dodge trucks automatics. I never had a problem. Always locked-out of overdrive. The maximum grades were 7% some quite long. The highest profile was 9 ft, however. I believe that 47RE can tow without problems is you stay away from long grades and limit them to 5 or 6%. If you can't tow the grade in third gear with torque converter locked up. Long grades will kill your tranny. With a manual tranny those anxious moments are gone, you can the drive. I think that's what Hunter is trying to tell you. <br><br>I have a good friend with 2001 Ram 4x4 Quad 5.9L Cummins 3.53 rear, with 47RE who nearly fried his tranny in his own yard. We both live in the mountains. To park his 11,000 5er he has to back up a 9% grade about 75 ft. To get enough traction he had to shift in 4wd low. By the time he had it parked his tranny temp was over 250 degrees. That high a temp shorten the life of tranny fluid to 2000 to 3000 miles. He is lucky but for how long. He is playing Russian Roulette with his tranny. <br><br>Since your profile does not have your location we don't know where most of your towing will be. <br><br>There are those who brag about towing 150,000 miles with their auto tranny without problems, how much of that is actually towing. What conditions were they towing. Keep the tranny temps below 225 degrees and you should have no problems. If you tow 10,000# in the mountains, you will have lots of anxious moments as you watch the tranny temp rise.<br> <br>
Old 11-13-2002, 07:52 PM

Having angsted over this one myself for some time, trying to decide between auto, 6 or 5 sp, I learned a lot about trannies. One has to be really specific! Did you know there are more than half a million Allison B-series trannies in GM intra-city buses alone. Heavy-duty autos are used in a lot of severe service applictions, loggers in BC, Washington and Oregon humping 15-20% grades at 110,000#! The following specs are not anemic:<br><br>Allison HD4060 Ratings:<br>Gross input power (maximum) - 525 hp (391 kW)<br>Gross input torque (maximum) - 1550 lb ft (2102 N·m)<br>Net input power (maximum) - 500 hp (373 kW)<br>Net input torque (maximum) - 1550 lb ft (2102 N·m)<br>Rated max input speed (minimum-maximum) - 1700 to 2300 rpm<br><br>Anyone with a chip and a plate going to try and beat 1550 ft-lbs of torque? ;D <br><br>From a lot of folk's experience, the 47RE sounds like a different beast. Perhaps BOMBed it won't cut it, but as many have said...well cared for and serviced, a 47RE should be fine. Were failures noted with BOMBed rigs or just straight? Is it really true that a 47RE is just a Torqueflite 727 with an OD unit?<br><br>I'm still mulling over the choices but figure I'll get it sorted out, one day <br><br>Cheers,<br>DT <br>
Old 11-13-2002, 08:17 PM

DNAT<br><br>Uhmmm, am I missing something here? Are you buying a 2003 Dodge or an inner city bus? <br><br>Like I have always said, if you wish to pay lots of $$$$$, bomb the tranny and void the warranty!<br><br>It can, has and will be done. But, I plan on having a happy carefree time shifting my HO way along with my trusty 6 in hand! ;D<br><br>Think about it, is there some reason do you think that Dodge won't sell you an HO auto right at this time?<br><br>Are they confident about the tranny?<br><br>I too, wanted the easy auto, but, got nervous and opted out for the 6.<br><br>Read all you can, talk to all the owners you can and choose wisely<br><br>Hunter
Old 11-13-2002, 09:50 PM

If the engineers at DC are so pathetic that they cannot couple an automatic transmission to a 460 lb-ft/250 hp diesel engine to haul a 7 or 8000# trailer, they should be unemployed. If the autos are as bad as some would have others believe, I think DC would be losing so much money on continually replacing them and customers leaving the fold that they would only offer manuals. I don't think either of these situations is the case here; therefore, I am definitely satisfied with the choice I have made. If I have to eat my words six months from now, you'll see a 2003 2500 SLT QuadCab 4x4 Sport swb S/O Cummins with under 15000miles and a brand new dealer installed automatic transmission for sale on my lawn for $30000. 8)
Old 11-14-2002, 10:06 PM

Hunter, I hear you...I'm just prepping myself for my wife to say &quot;47RE or a Kia Sportage, mister!&quot; Dang our previous Tahoe to H*ll with it's pansy 4L60E! :

Just like the &quot;Man Song&quot; says, &quot;I'm the one who wears the pants in the house....just when you let me...&quot;

At least the powertrain warranty of 7/115k (KM up here) is pretty good. Better than the other two, that's for sure! I think I'm ready to take the hit on the auto rather than sitting all prissy-like in a Sportage at the stoplight. Trust me, I already tried the &quot;what's the difference between 5 speeds in our Jetta and 5 (or 6) in a Truck?&quot; Reply: &quot;Because it's a truck!&quot; I decided not to pass go on that logic.

Once past my wife, it's just a matter of making the dash past the bank to the dealer! Wish me luck! ;D

Cheers,
DT
Old 11-14-2002, 11:28 PM

Try this one, DNAT, Hon, you know as much as we like our Jetta if we ever have an accident, we are not likely to come out in very good condition, injuries and all. If we were riding in a 2003 Dodge Ram with its great score on crash test we would fare far better. Besides, I hear they are much more comfortable, the Quad Cab makes a great family car. With the Dodge 7/70 Warranty and the Cummins 100K Warranty. We'd not have to worry about repairs for several years, right? And Hon, this guy out in California drives up in those Sierra Mountains and is getting over 18 mpg.<br><br>It is not only practical but a fun vehicle. We can even get it with adjustable pedals and and power adjustable ddrivers seat so you can learn to drive it.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:56 PM

DNAT, a Dodge 2500 or a Kia...how about a Lada...or a Yugo . I was also informed by my wife, who can drive a standard, that it would be in my best interests if I were to purchase an automatic. I told her I wanted her input and that, along with good cupholders for her Timmies and a say in choosing the colour, was it. Since it actually saves money compared to the H/O 6 spd initially, and is less work to drive, and I will still be able to partake in marital relations, it seemed like the way to go.
Old 11-15-2002, 02:02 PM

[quote author=dealseeker link=board=20;threadid=6850;start=15#67100 date=1037339817]<br>...is less work to drive, and I will still be able to partake in marital relations... <br>[/quote]<br><br>Hey, dealseeker...I know an auto is easier to drive but, shouldn't you still be keeping your eyes on the road and not...um, you know! <br><br>SierraPhil, I'll try you advice but have to make sure I don't go to far...after all, would still rather have an SO/auto Cummins than a Kia. Heck, if I need my fill of Class 8, I'll drop by Ryder and rent a Pete 359 with a 500hp Cummins N14 and Fuller 15-sp tranny. ;D<br><br>I think this will be the most researched, painstakingly planned Ram ever ordered. Looking like it'll be a 2500 QC SB Laramie 4x2 SO-Auto, Partior Blue over silver with a Raider cap (Canuck version of a Leer 100XL). I'll also feel much more manly driving up to the RV diesel pumps at the Flying J than in my fun yet not terribly imposing Jetta.<br><br>I'll let you all know when we get back from the &quot;adoption agency.&quot; ;D<br>Cheers,<br>DT

Quick Reply: Is the automatic OK? (again, I know, sorry)