3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Any known problems with 48RE overheating when towing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any known problems with 48RE overheating when towing?

I have a distinct lack of power when towing with my 305HP Cummins with 48RE, especially going up any grade. At 70MPH, the cruise will drop to 65 or 60MPH and will not downshift. It will not downshift to accelerate if I hit the gas pedal unless I disengage overdrive. (Of course, my Powerstroke wouldn't need to leave overdrive to do 70MPH on the same hills.)

The truck is sitting at the dealer right now. They said they called STAR and were told the behavior of the truck/tranny is normal when towing. The computer will not allow the tranny to shift out of overdrive because the engineers say the tranny would overheat if shifted out of overdrive.

This is BS. I think something is still wrong with my truck. If Chrysler can't build a decent automatic tranny, then they shouldn't be offering an automatic.

I'm thinking a 2005 Ford F-350 would look real nice in the driveway.

Brian Elfert
Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 PM

I've never lost speed going up a hill at 70 mph when towing 7000 lbs. I've towing all through the pa. mountains and up to cape code. I am very have with mine and the power. My trans never has to come out of OD. You may have a problem with the engine in yours not the trans. I can pass 18 wheelers at 70 -75 mph going up 6% grades. Hope this info helps!
Old 08-25-2004, 11:11 PM

Re: Any known problems with 48RE overheating when towing?

Originally posted by belfert
They said they called STAR and were told the behavior of the truck/tranny is normal when towing. The computer will not allow the tranny to shift out of overdrive because the engineers say the tranny would overheat if shifted out of overdrive.

This is BS. I think something is still wrong with my truck. If Chrysler can't build a decent automatic tranny, then they shouldn't be offering an automatic.

Brian Elfert
You are right! Star is not telling you the truth or there is something wrong with my 48RE! While towing my 7600# travel trailer with the cruise on, in overdrive set at 70 MPH, my transmission does downshift out of overdrive at about 63 to 65 mph!
Old 08-26-2004, 07:58 AM

Mine tows fine, 3 horse slant load with 3 large horses, must be at least 8000 lbs. Towed at 70 mph, never needed to come out of OD. My understanding is that if it needs to come out of OD, you should use the tow/haul mode.

'I'm thinking a 2005 Ford F-350 would look real nice in the driveway" With a 6.0, it may spend quite a bit of time there
Old 08-26-2004, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Bigredmachine
'I'm thinking a 2005 Ford F-350 would look real nice in the driveway" With a 6.0, it may spend quite a bit of time there
Old 08-26-2004, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Bigredmachine
Mine tows fine, 3 horse slant load with 3 large horses, must be at least 8000 lbs. Towed at 70 mph, never needed to come out of OD. My understanding is that if it needs to come out of OD, you should use the tow/haul mode.
The 2003 doesn't have a tow/haul mode, just an overdrive cancel button. All the tow/haul mode button on the 2004 does is lock out overdrive.

Brian Elfert
Old 08-27-2004, 02:16 PM

I wonder if it's a 3.73/4.10 gear thing. Towing my 3-4000lb boat I noticed that I could hold speed in OD up the steepest grades, but to accelerate it needed/wanted to downshift. It almost seemed like the motor might have the toruqe, but the trans downshifted none the less.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:24 PM

My 2004 305 tows like a bandit,got to be something wrong with yours.
I have had Fords and a 2000 dodge and this thing is awsome.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:07 PM
Chapter President

I know it's a little off subject but I'll let you know my last tow, I did not use cruise but when I would go uphill and really let 'er have it. "WOT" my temp gauge would jump maybe 25 + *. I was very nervous. So to say the trans temp went up would be a "sure thing".

I have plenty of power but what good does it do me if I'm stranded from overheating...Can't get the dealer to admit anything because they can't get it to duplicate around town...
Old 08-28-2004, 12:21 AM

My Ram3500 combo GCVW is 19,460#. I use the OD when towing and go to the TOW/HAUL mode when I approach a grade. The tranny automatically shifts down if the grade gets to be too much for the combo. It tows great and the tranny seems to work just as I hoped. It is a 305/555 engine.
Frank
Las Vegas, NV.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:34 AM

mine holds 70 like a champ. I can haul 6500 pounds or so an never see a speed drop here in Colorado. Converter locks up and stays there. I know my 97 powerstroke poped out of lock up quite a few times with the same load. So I'd say this Dodge runs **** well for stock.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:05 PM

Hello...

First, to establish confidence, let me tell you I spent 32 years before retirement with Detroit Diesel-Allison, and correct spec'ing, gearing, and shift point adjustment was one of my specialties... I handled installation / application engineering with Freightliner in Portland and Kenworth in Seattle...

Secondly, my 2004 2500 4x4 "B" Series HO Ragburner with 48 RE and 3.73 axle pulls my 7000 lb. Komfort travel trailer thru the Pacific NW Cascades and the California Syskious like a champ... In fact, I pull the mountains at 65-70 so effortlessly at 15000 lb. gross combination, it feels like my 455 Olds I had back in the 60's... I'm particularly impressed with the perfect shifting points for the application... With the selector always in OD (tow-haul only downhill for braking), the upshift and downshift points per load, grade, and speed are regulated so well, I've even exclaimed "WOW!", as the unit shifted "just right"... This is true... not exaggerating...

I'm saying all this not to make you feel bad... but GOOD... assuring you it can be done with your vehicle... As a former "factory rep" myself, I hate to say someone isn't being sincere with you... but you need to go deeper than perhaps an inexperienced Service Writer for help... YOUR TRUCK CAN DO IT, AND A POSITIVE APPROACH TO SINCERE KNOWLEDGABLE ON-THE-VEHICLE TROUBLE-SHOOTING IS REQUIRED... An ECM electronically controls the engine and transmission performance (SHIFT POINT MODULATION) and needs to be read for fault-codes, re-programed, and / or replaced... The trans hydraulic valve body can also be involved in the problem...

If you feel you are being stiff-armed, go higher... the Dealer Service manager... worst case scenario, another dealer... Get a good Service Manager to listed... Most important... ...Take a positive NON-IRATE 'ask for help approach'... You can even show him this email... IT IS A GREAT VEHICLE AND CAN BE FIXED... with someone smart enough, and concerned enough to help you... Effort equals results...

Ted Leonardi
NW Zone Manager (retired)
Detroit Diesel Division, Daimler-Chrysler Corp.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I see things like "towing grades with the cruise set", "Going WOT pulling a grade", I have to question on whether you know how to tow. No offense intended, but find the sweet spot YOUR truck can pull YOUR load at. Speed should take a back seat to keeping your engine at a good operating rpm.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:30 AM

Originally posted by J BODY
When I see things like "towing grades with the cruise set", "Going WOT pulling a grade", I have to question on whether you know how to tow. No offense intended, but find the sweet spot YOUR truck can pull YOUR load at. Speed should take a back seat to keeping your engine at a good operating rpm.
These aren't the Rocky Mountains I'm talking about. These are hills in Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska. Once I start getting into the mountains, I don't use cruise.

Yes, I probably could drive 60 or 65MPH without problems, but there is no reason the Cummins shouldn't be able to take these hills in overdrive at 70MPH if my Powerstroke with 55 less HP could do it.

Dropping speed by 5 to 10 MPH makes a big difference when you are doing 4,000 miles in 7 days with three drivers.

Brian Elfert
Old 08-30-2004, 03:07 AM

Hello again Brian... I'm not sure I understand the context of the two posts after mine... but I'll make my point supported in my lengthy post above clear...

You are absolutely right... Your vehicle should perform as you desire, and out perform the Powerstroke... The reason why it does not is there is something wrong... a cause... but the cause is FIXABLE...

... but its not going to get fixed on the internet... It needs to be addressed "hands-on" by a comptent, knowledgable Technician... Its Monday... Stop whining on the internet and get to a good dealership... MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE SERVICE MANAGER... (Don't be impatient... Again... If you don't get results, go to another dealer... In 32 years in the business, I have NEVER had a problem that couldn't be fixed... Effort equals results... You just need the right effort... Go get it...

...Ted

Quick Reply: Any known problems with 48RE overheating when towing?