3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Alright Boys, here goes everything!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alright Boys, here goes everything!!

I'm going to try and tackle the 30K mile maintenance on my truck this weekend. I have gotten a copy of the factory service manual and believe I am in the proper mental state to attempt all of this for the first time!!

I'm sure that I will be properly supervised, between the wife and 2 kids!

My main objectives are too:

1. Change oil and filter (I've been doing this one!)
2. Change fuel filter (It has been done, I've never done it?!)
3. Change the transmission fluid (Not a clue as to how to do it!)
4. Change front and rear differential
5. Lube tie rod ends (after I find them)
6. And anything else that needs lubing(you can help me with this one if you know of anything?!)

What I need to know from you, are there any special tools that I may need beyond sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc? Or any special materials that I don't know about, or being a novice wouldn't think about(seals, etc). How about any special cleaners for parts or pans that should be cleaned before I put them back on the truck? I'd like to buy all my materials and have everything I need and then only have to worrry about performing the tasks.

I know I can find the fluid types and amounts for all of these items in my owners manual, so I have that covered. I figure I'll buy my stuff from NAPA, since I trust them a little more than the AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced Auto, guys.

Any extra advice will be truly appreciated. Wish me luck!! Better yet, pray for me, or actually my truck!! At this time there is nothing wrong with it, hopefully I can still say that after the weekend!

Jason

PS. How many pans do I need to catch all these fluids?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 1stTimeAround
I'm going to try and tackle the 30K mile maintenance on my truck this weekend. I have gotten a copy of the factory service manual and believe I am in the proper mental state to attempt all of this for the first time!!

I'm sure that I will be properly supervised, between the wife and 2 kids!

My main objectives are too:

1. Change oil and filter (I've been doing this one!)
2. Change fuel filter (It has been done, I've never done it?!)
3. Change the transmission fluid (Not a clue as to how to do it!)
4. Change front and rear differential
5. Lube tie rod ends (after I find them)
6. And anything else that needs lubing(you can help me with this one if you know of anything?!)

What I need to know from you, are there any special tools that I may need beyond sockets, ratchets, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc? Or any special materials that I don't know about, or being a novice wouldn't think about(seals, etc). How about any special cleaners for parts or pans that should be cleaned before I put them back on the truck? I'd like to buy all my materials and have everything I need and then only have to worrry about performing the tasks.

I know I can find the fluid types and amounts for all of these items in my owners manual, so I have that covered. I figure I'll buy my stuff from NAPA, since I trust them a little more than the AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced Auto, guys.

Any extra advice will be truly appreciated. Wish me luck!! Better yet, pray for me, or actually my truck!! At this time there is nothing wrong with it, hopefully I can still say that after the weekend!

Jason

PS. How many pans do I need to catch all these fluids?
Hey. This isnt as hard as it might seem. Something that would make the job alot easier is Mag HYtech pan and diff covers. You have drain plugs with them.

You gotta drop your tranny pan and loosen the diff covers. If it was me I would completely take diff covers off and reseal them with a good silicone.
If you can get teh truck elevated enough one 5 gallon bucket should take care of tranny, front and rear.

As far as fuel filter pray that the guy who put it back on when he changed it was not superman. The first time I changed mine in the auto., someone had tourqed it down to where the plastic nut on top was junk. Bad deal. When tightening back down dont over tourqe it.

BTW. The wheels and tires are great. Dont have them on right now because of lots of pulling but the 05 wheel on an 03 truck got several guys asking how I did that. Another thing when I ran those 245 tires compared to the 285 the truck became quicker in the 1/8 and also better fuel mileage.
Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2006, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your 05 came with reuseable seals on both diffs and tranny pan. Take care not to rip them and reuse them. No silicone needed.

Diffs are a breeze simply unbolt the covers remove the reusable diff cover seal clean out and inspect for contaminants. Clean all mating surfaces for the diff seal and bolt cover and seal back in place. Refill with correct fluid
(no additives needed). 4 qts rear and 3 qts front I think. Do not over fill.

The transmission has a filter, replace it when you change the fluid. New filter may require you to use different screw holes from stock. Look closely at the magnet in the bottom of the transmission pan. It will be covered in small metal shavings no larger than dust. If you find larger metal shavings you may have a problem. Clean off the magnet and clean out the pan before replacing the transmission pan. Fill with fluid and idle while switching back and forth through the gears at a stand still until the transmission primes it self and begins to take hold. Check fluid again while running in park and do not over fill.

Change the transfercase fluid also. You'll find that a small hand pump will ease the refill process.

Fuel filter is easy. Cleanliness is imperative here!
Drain the filter using the water drain off valve into a clear container and check for contaminants.Close water drain off valve. Carefully clean off, unscrew and remove the top of the fuel filter housing. Remove the old fuel filter from cap and replace with new filter. Replace the o-ring on the cap with new o-ring smear the new o-ring with a finger full of motor oil to ease reinstallation and removal next time. Replace cap with new filter installed and cycle key 3-4 times to refill fuel filter canister. (At the rate that the CR injectors fail I change my fuel filter every oil change or 5k miles)

Tie rod ends are readily accessible. Clean them off before greasing.

The front u joint is a PITA! Search around for a small pin type valve on one of the lobes by feel and lube with a pin type extension for same. Your local auto parts store should have the pin type lube extension.

3 pans and 1 clear container

Hope this helps

Rick
Old 08-31-2006, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dan Marino
Hey. This isnt as hard as it might seem. Something that would make the job alot easier is Mag HYtech pan and diff covers. You have drain plugs with them.
For a poor man's Mag Hytech tranny pan, ask the Napa guys to sell you a universal oil drain plug kit. It's very similar to the one B&M makes, and I picked one up at my local Napa for less than $5. I drilled a hole in the left side of the tranny pan and bolted in the plug body with some red Locktite. It comes with a 1/8" NPT plug, but I used this as a place to install my tranny temp sensor. Next time you can drain the pan before dropping it, which reduces the potential for a messy spill.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...it+-+Universal
Old 08-31-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's a great thread on DIY tranny service...

To the point, lists everything you'll need:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=111791
Old 08-31-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by runamuk
The transmission has a filter, replace it when you change the fluid. New filter may require you to use different screw holes from stock. Look closely at the magnet in the bottom of the transmission pan. It will be covered in small metal shavings no larger than dust. If you find larger metal shavings you may have a problem. Clean off the magnet and clean out the pan before replacing the transmission pan. Fill with fluid and idle while switching back and forth through the gears at a stand still until the transmission primes it self and begins to take hold. Check fluid again while running in park and do not over fill.Rick
well almost, first if using different holes, means wrong filter , second level to be checked while in neutral (pump does not run in park). other than that great explanation.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone else said it but PLEASE remember to check fluid level in neutral, not park. Pump dosen't rem in park so fluid level will be wrong if you don't use neutral.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys!

I may be doing this tomorrow since Ernesto might blow through and eliminate any outdoor activities.

Jason