3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Age old question about clutches.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Age old question about clutches.

My stocker has finally died to a point that i can't get the thing to shift. Isolated issue to clutch or pilot bearing. Either way tranny has to come out to fix and putting in a new clutch while it is down. Currently running just a TST for now. Turbo and pressure box to come soon. Projected HP/TQ goal is 500 hp and anything over 1000ft/lbs.

Truck is a daily driver currently having to deal with stop and go driveing for about 20 miles one way. Should only have to use it a daily driver for about another 18 months then it will be a toy. Currently 115k miles on it. Once not a daily driver and being used for a toy I plan to sled pull as much as i can at fairs and pulls. Nothing major just for the joy of pulling but want to be somewhat competative. It also (assume parts don't break) will still need to town a 5th wheel about 10k and bass boat about 4k. So a clutch that will allow backing is needed. Heavy petal will just take getting used to so that doesn't worry me to much but ocassionally the wife likes to drive so need to know just how bad to expect.

So to get to the point I need a clutch that will hold projected power goals. Allows you to get through the gears quickly (close to drag racing quick) due to traffic and trying to manuver around the idiots. I also need something that will hold up to sled pulling. Also the 5 speed i have now the syncro are in good shape and would like to keep them that way so need to know if the clutch that will do what i need if i can expect the syncro to start waring faster.

Leaning heavily to a Dual Disk. Either eneterprise or SBC but unser if there new one sprung something will hold up to the sled or just solves some issue I read about with duel disk.

So lay it on me if you have a duel disk give it to me straight i only want to have to do this once and cry once. also if i'm nuts in thinking there is such a clutch to do all of what i want i need to know that too. If there is single that will do not opposed to it either.

thanks sorry for the longness.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well if your going to "sled pull" then obviously you need a Dual Disk.
As far as Enterprise Engine goes...I dont think they are making clutches anymore (but I could be wrong on that one).

Yeah, give the sprung hub DD a try. Everyone seems to love it! I run the solid hub unit.

I highly recommend South Bend Clutch...
Old 07-08-2007, 03:45 PM
wap

I would run a SB DD again in a second. I dont know if that sprung unit is "better" cause I have never drivin a rigid hub unit but I know I love the clutch in my truck. If I had to do it again I would have gotten the exact same thing but with a 3850lb pressure plate.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 PM

thanks

Thanks for the reply's! I called peter today. Heck of a guy. He recommended the 3600 for what i discribed the only thing i forgot to ask about was towing if there was anything of concern. Since you have the same clutch anything i should know about. my mind is made up on the 3600 sprung hub just got to talk to the local dealer about price and install. How long should it take to break in. 500 to 1k?
Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break-in? Heck I've hooked a new Dual disc with like 30 miles on it.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 PM

It's in.

Well it is in and I love it. The 1st unit had an issue but yet again the stellar customer service by South Bend over the ordeal has me as a customer for life. I also have got to throw some praise to the local installer. Rod's Muffler in Union, MO. Great bunch of people and stellar service. Got 500 miles on the rebuilt unit and drive great.

Observations for anyone looking into one:

Heavier pedel pressure was what was expected. Took one rush hour drive and don't even notice the pressure now.

I do have to double clutch while i'm shifting if I don't want the syncrohs doing all the work but when i'm in a hurry it will shift just like stock.

Still getting used to backing up with it empty. A little jerky but i think it is just the jerk behind the wheel learning it. I do like it towning and backing. Only have pulled the bass boat at about 4k but no issues at the ramp and some of the tighter parking spots with the trailer.

After about 400 miles i decieded i would crank up the tst and have some fun. Wow now that a I have clutch that will hold anything i throw at it the tst make some crazy seat of the pants power. I'm thinking power upgrades are now in order.