3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Adjusted bands now shifting strange

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusted bands now shifting strange

Hello, wondering if I could get some suggestions. I recently did a transmission fluid refresh (drained pan, new filter and about 6-7 quarts of new fluid). I adjusted the bands per the factory service manual and know I set it right. My wife drives the truck as a DD and I really don't drive it at all except to camp. She doesn't eve know it's shifting weird, but I've driven it twice now and it feels like it is hunting for lower gears. It happens below 25mph leaving our neighborhood. Did I screw up adjusting one of the bands? If I recall there were some discrepancies that some on here deviated, I think it might have been the front band?? I just remember some saying to not back the bolt off as much as the FSM suggested or something along those lines. The truck only has about 50k miles on it and was shifting fine before. Just go figure, I messed with it. Anyone? Something I seem to recall was that on the one that gets reversed out further, I think I loosened it and counted the revolutions and expected to get the same when I took it down to it's torque setting. Kind of foggy memory so I can't recall if that was what really happened or not. Just hoping someone could chime in and if the factory settings should work just fine. I can't imagine the bands would be bad as it shifted fine before and the truck is not a work horse by any means. Thanks hopefully.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
You may have a governor pressure solenoid problem if bands were adjusted correctly. Read SB may apply to your problem.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
080022dc81d3fee2.pdf (143.4 KB, 124 views)
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigIron70
You may have a governor pressure solenoid problem if bands were adjusted correctly. Read SB may apply to your problem.
Thanks for the reply and the SB. I had read about changing that solenoid when I had the pan off, but decided that since there was no problem, I would save that for if a problem ever developed. I had driven it enough before my fluid flush and band adjustment to know it was shifting correctly before working on it. Just odd that the problem is now occurring. To tell you the truth, I know I test drove it after working on the bands and don't recall any shifting problems right afterwards. But now a couple of months later it's there. Sounds like it wouldn't hurt to get in there and change the solenoid. If I recall there are some other brands besides OEM that were suggested, I'll have to do some internet searching. But sometimes OEM is best, so I'll have to keep that in mind too. What do you think should I re-adjust the bands just to make sure, not sure if adjusting them too often causes more harm than good?? Again, thanks for chiming in.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You may not have put enough fluid back in. Must be checked on a level surface, hot & running in neutral.