3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

adding cruise switches for high idle????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 09:28 AM
MTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding cruise switches for high idle????

I know this has been asked before, but I just went to buy the cruise switches for my non cruise equipped truck(ST model) and the parts guy asked me what I was doing with the switches. I told him I wanted to add cruise mainly for the high idle feature and he pretty much laughed at me for even attempting this because he said I would need a "bunch" of other expensive things that go under the hood to make it work.

I told him that I belong to a forum(this one) where it was stated that all I had to do was add the switches and the high idle feature would work. He got one of the mechanics and a service advisor who also proceeded to make me feel like an idiot for even attempting this with just switches.

Sorry for the long post, but I need to know if this works. Has anybody just added the switches on a non cruise equipped truck and had the high idle feature work for them????
Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just buy the 2 steering wheel switches, install them and there you have it. Cruise will work. The only thing you may have to do is have the dealer enable the high idle with the Starscan tool. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes. A lot of times you can have them do a flash update of the computer under warranty, and ask them to enable it while they are hooked up. All depends how nice your dealer is!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 AM
MTC

Man, Id love to go back and show those idiots that it worked. Its the dealership where I bought the truck and where I get all my free maintenance. They seem to be a decent dealership, but when it comes to the diesels, it seems I know more than they do just by reading on this forum.

Thanks, I just gonna get the switches and see for myself. Its only $32.00 for both.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 AM
MTC

Well, I ordered the switches(they are special order). Should have them by tomorrow sometime. Ill let ya know.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by MTC
Well, I ordered the switches(they are special order). Should have them by tomorrow sometime. Ill let ya know.

They looked at me like I waswhen I got mine but it will work fine
Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 PM
MTC

Crazy, isnt it??? It seems like the dealerships have no idea about thier own vehicles. Im glad this site is available for real answers.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same on mine, works like a charm
Old 01-14-2008, 12:32 PM
MTC

Hey, quick question while I have ur attention: I can figure out all the installation stuff as far as taking the steering wheel apart, etc., but should I disconnect the neg battery terminals on both batteries before doing so??? Does disconnecting the batteries do any harm? Im just thinking out loud here.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
some say you should, some say it don't matter. I didn't. It is very easy and only takes maybe 10 minutes from start to finish.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

For your own safety, I would recommend it. Static electricity CAN set off the airbag, but I have never had a problem. Give the truck about 10 minutes after disconnecting the battery so the capacitors can discharge from the air bag module. After that, its plug and play!
Old 01-14-2008, 02:05 PM
MTC

Cool, thanks guys
Old 01-16-2008, 08:48 AM
MTC

Update

Well, I picked up my switches yesterday and again was pretty much laughed at by the dealership with a parting "Good luck".

I just installed the switches...NO GO!

The cruise light comes on in the dash when I turn it on, but there is no high idle. The switch on the right side does nothing. I think that I can still make it work if the dealer enables the high idle feature, but my dealership seem to be as dumb as a bag of hammers. Any and all help would be appreciated as well as specific details as to what I should tell the dealership to do. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

The cruise will work, but like I said.....you MAY have to have the dealer enable high idle. Do a search on here. Someone posted STEP by STEP what a dealer tech would have to push on the Starscan to enable it.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:35 AM

Well does the cruise WORK going down the road? If it does SHOW them and if you can't find the info here tell them to CALL STAR and they will tell them.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM
MTC

I havent tried the cruise yet going down the road, Ill try that when I go to work in a couple hours. If the cruise works, then Ill have something to work with at the dealership, cause they told me that it would not.

Quick Reply: adding cruise switches for high idle????