3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AA&M axels?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:AA&M axels?

[quote author=BLUE04 link=board=20;threadid=19624;start=15#msg201756 date=1067213442]
This is the only problem I have seen with the AAM axles, Lack of aftermarket parts. There is no Detroit locker or ARB available yet. I have watched the gm sight for signs of axle problems and I think these will become just as good and popular as Dana axles.
Jason

[/quote]

ARB has a locker for the GM/AAM925 IFS front end - might work in the solid 925's in the Dodge's?
Chris
Old 11-08-2003, 10:40 PM

my hat's off to the AAM limited slip- much simpler design and works better at lower speeds- did have a bit of binding at first after a long drive- dealer took it in and opened the pumpkin- pulled the limited slip pod and it looked fine- put a new one in & set it up according to the book- works great and no binding- dealer said the factory might have had it tuned a little too tight- by the way they don't use the special ls additive like the dinosaur danas
Old 11-09-2003, 02:50 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to the AAM website but can't figure out which model "limited slip" they put in the Dodge axles. They make a bunch of different ones. I have an '04 and haven't noticed much action back there yet. Which one is it?

Wetspirit ???
Old 11-09-2003, 12:05 PM

If the AAM is the GT it is too bad they didnt go one step further and put in the GTL (L for manual locker). That seems to act like out limited slip which I have yet to see work very well but will wait for the snow, and add a locking switch.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:08 AM
abb

Well guys I have a 03 1 ton single wheel! And the dang thing has howled since I put a thousand miles on it the dealer hassput a new ring and pinion in it twice no fix so got them to put a new assembly in it's worse still decieding what to do next???
Old 11-13-2003, 06:19 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Did they replace the ring gear assembly or the whole 'hub to hub' rear end?
Old 11-13-2003, 07:29 AM

[quote author=abb link=board=20;threadid=19624;start=30#msg209176 date=1068725319]
Well guys I have a 03 1 ton single wheel! And the dang thing has howled since I put a thousand miles on it the dealer hassput a new ring and pinion in it twice no fix so got them to put a new assembly in it's worse still decieding what to do next???[/quote]They probably assigned some ham-fisted monkey to do the work. Setting up diffs correctly to ensure silent operation isn't as easy or simple as it seems. I'd ask for an entirely new rear differential. Couple options are pull one from another truck or have DC ship one from the factory.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:31 AM

bluerattler, i would question the dealer on "pulling the pod"?
these limited slip rears are gear driven. when i serviced mine i saw no "pod" that could be removed, like a clutch pack. the differential was all one unit. i wonder what the dealer was refering to?
Old 11-13-2003, 11:07 AM

According to 4wheel Parts Wholesalers "Off-Road Adventures" publications, the AA&M 9.25 and 11.5 axles are somewhat stronger than the Dana 60 and 70/80 axles used in previous Dodge trucks. On a 1-5 scale (5 being stongest), the AA&M 9.25 front is a 4 and can handle 37" tires without any concerns. The 11.5" rear is consdered a 5+ and can handle up to 44" tires in any application (mud bogging to rock crawling). It can handle over 13,000 pounds. The Dana 80 found in gen 1 & 2 Dodge trucks is rated at 11,000 pounds.

AA&M is aggressively going after new business, so they come to the party with stonger products, lower prices, and better customer service. This will eventually make Dana a better company if they choose to stay in business.

As for "anti-spin differentials," the AA&M Dodge unit is the LockRite GT, which is a gear drive unit. There are no clutch packs to wear out. This is the type of traction devices the US military Humvee's use in both axles. If I was going to choose a "posi" or "limited slip," this would be the one.

Personally, I'm not much of a 4 wheeler, so I don't need and ARB or a new type E-locker. An automatic locker, like the Detroit Locker, is out of the question for towing. A good "posi" is great for snow (particularly when getting out of a snow bank) and sandy boat ramps. Again, if the ltd slip is a good unit (that works like it is supposed to), like the TracRite GT, they will make a difference, even in 4WD.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:14 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey MonkeyLips,

Thanks for the info. That's what I was looking for.

Wetspirit

Old 11-13-2003, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm willing to 'get my mind right' if need be, but so far even for primarily road use I'm leaning towards an open diff with a selectable locker instead of a limited slip. From what I understand a locker is needed for off road such as rock climbing, as with a limited slip if two wheels get off the ground you're stuck. For road use a selectable locker is attractive for control as a limited slip will kick in when it senses a loss of traction, the worst case result being the rear end breaking loose on large low traction surfaces such as ice. I don't want to be on an icy freeway curve and have the rear end come around just because the limited slip kicked in, I'd rather just start slowing down and even end up getting stuck as a worst case, where I could use the locker to get going again and then turn it off.

Something else that sounds attractive is locking hubs on the rear axle, where I could put it in 4WD, unlock the rear axle, and have front wheel drive for full time, unloaded use in mixed traction situations. Anyone tried such a thing ?
Old 11-13-2003, 04:43 PM

The LS diff doesn't work like a locker so there is no on again/off again action; its continuous. If you know how to drive in slippery conditions, you can predict and feel the rear end get loose. Engaging the 4wd lever will keep you pointed straight. I've found that you have to try to bring the rear around if the front is engaged.

Your choice on the selectable locker. What will happen is that you will rarely use it, unless you are on a muddy construction site or farm regularly. I like the LS for my street/tow vehicle. Combined with 4wd, most conditions you encounter are easily dealt with.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:14 PM

It seems the original question was about the axle itself and not the limited slip units.
I could care less about the corporation of dana axles and the people involved however that axle has been around a long time and has proven itself. This AAM or whatever it is, has not proven itself yet. It also seems that there are many brand new trucks out there with differential failures. My friend has an 03 and it has metal chunks in it already with 10k miles on it. the metal is not your typical breakin type shavings.
Why do we drive our Dodges with the Cummins engine? Because it has been around and proven itself. People brag about Duramax. Let me see one with 300k miles and than bomb it and see if it lives.
Lets just wait and see how this new axle holds up after a few years.
Only time will tell.
;D That ought to stir it up a little
Frosty
Old 11-13-2003, 07:00 PM
4x4
Banned

"This AAM or whatever it is, has not proven itself yet."

Actually it has. The "new" rear axles are essentially the beloved 14-bolt of yester-year. There are only a few differences, nothing drastic.

4x4
Old 11-13-2003, 07:15 PM

All I can say is American Axle stock is doing great. Wish I'd bought some a year ago.

Quick Reply: AA&M axels?