3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48re "Flare" in OD

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48re "Flare" in OD

Hey guys, I need some help. I just put a Suncoast Valve body and a triple disk converter in my tranny along with an upgrade band strut and apply lever, 4 ring accumulator piston and oversized intermediate servo and billit cap. I dont think that it is slipping. It just seems like it goes into a passing gear of some kind that it never had before. It will jump about 300-400 rpm. Then when you let off the pedal it goes right back down like it went back to OD. Temps always run cool, never above 180 at highway speed and usually closer to 165 or 170. So I dont think it is a slip. It also wants to hunt when I have the cruise on and try to pull a hill like it wants to go to the "passing" gear and will sometimes but not others. Could it be a pressure problem? It is an early 04 so I have a kickdown cable and pressure adjustment screws on the VB. Any help would be great.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 PM

sounds to me like you are now feeling the converter lock and unlock.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:58 PM

Possibly, but shouldnt the converter be locked all the time in OD? Plus, I would not think that it would or should be going in and out of lockup when I am just cruising down the road at 70. Please correct me if I am wrong, but even if it was just going into lockup the rpms should not go up should they?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:49 PM

The rpms goin up would indicate the converter unlocking. Im not sure why it would be going in and out of lockup on flat level ground at a steady speed. Maybe something in the VB is not right.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 PM

Council with Suncoast.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 PM

Let me clarify a little, it wont do it on level ground unless I get a real strong gust of head wind or something. Most of the time I notice it is when I go up grades or go to pass. It does not take much throttle to get it to do it either, like I said it will do it with the cruise on. What really gets me is that it did not do it as soon as I did the upgrades, it took a while for it to happen. I am not sure that the converter is unlocking. Should my tranny temps not go up significantly if the converter was unlocking and locking this much? Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:43 PM

I agree. Talk to Suncoast and see what they say.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 PM

Anyone else have a suggestion or had this problem on their truck?
Old 02-19-2009, 12:31 PM

It sounds like the TV cable may need adjusting. Dropping a gear under light throttle says that the cable might be to tight. just my .02 cents.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yup, TV cable needs some tweaking.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 PM

ok thanks guys. I will try it tomorrow and let you know if it helps.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:29 PM

I adjusted the TV cable and the shifting change just as it should. I shifts a lot firmer and later in the rpm range but it will still flare up in OD like it is not locked or is unlocking. Any other ideas what it might be or am I just not getting it adjusted right. About where does it need to be set? More toward front or rear?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by teamroper12v
I adjusted the TV cable and the shifting change just as it should. I shifts a lot firmer and later in the rpm range but it will still flare up in OD like it is not locked or is unlocking. Any other ideas what it might be or am I just not getting it adjusted right. About where does it need to be set? More toward front or rear?
The TV cable adjustment won't have an effect on the TC locking and unlocking, thats an ECU control thing.

You have checked for codes, right?

You might want to wire in a TC lockup switch to verify the problem and for later uses also. Tap pin # 7 on the round trans control connector, run the wire to a switch, then run the other side of the switch thru a 33 ohm resistor and to ground.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM

You may want to try and reset apps. disconnect both batteries, let sit for 1/2hr. Reconnect batteries, turn key to on, no start, slow push the throttle to floor and release slowly. Only other thing I can think of is maybe the bands weren't adjusted properly, may need to be recheck. Check with suncoast valvebody could have an issue. Just some ideas for you. sry can't be better help.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM

Thanks for the options guys. I bought the VB used off this site and it work great when I put it in. This problem just started all at once. What inside the trans controls TC lockup? Is it in the solenoids in the pan? Could they be bad? It seems to lockup as it should in tow/haul. Thanks.

Quick Reply: 48re "Flare" in OD