3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48re filter change

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48re filter change

I am going to be changing the trans filter soon and was wondering if and how I get all the fluid out of the torque converter and lines, or is this not necessary. The manual says to just drain what is in the pan and filter and top it back off after completion. Shouldn't all the fluid get changed? I have had the flush done once but this time around I want to do a new filter. Any advice? Also, can loose bands cause a slight slipping feel in the trans? I will be adjusting them while I'm working on it regardless but it just seems to be reving a bit higher lately to get going or maybe it's my imagination.

Thanks,

Old 02-15-2009, 03:07 PM

u might be able to blow all them lines out with air,..? mines reving a bit too let us (and report back) know if u can tighten up them bands..
Old 02-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Tsb 21-009-07

Have you guys accomplished this TSB: TSB 21-009-07
48RE Transmission - 1-2 Shift Hunt At Light Throttle.

It may help your shifting problems.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Cowing
Have you guys accomplished this TSB: TSB 21-009-07
48RE Transmission - 1-2 Shift Hunt At Light Throttle.

It may help your shifting problems.
Not trying to highjack this thread but..

mine did that "hunting" before on a trip to vagas, turned out it was a sensor on the tail shaft.. it fixed it for a while.. then it came back thought it was the sensor again but i got it flashed at the dealer and it has never come back 2 years now.. (knock on wood)

Mine is slipping in 4th gear, only when the chip is turned up level 3 and up but if what Sticky is saying about the tightening the bands to prevent this iam very intrested.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sticky
I am going to be changing the trans filter soon and was wondering if and how I get all the fluid out of the torque converter and lines, or is this not necessary. The manual says to just drain what is in the pan and filter and top it back off after completion. Shouldn't all the fluid get changed? I have had the flush done once but this time around I want to do a new filter. Any advice? Also, can loose bands cause a slight slipping feel in the trans? I will be adjusting them while I'm working on it regardless but it just seems to be reving a bit higher lately to get going or maybe it's my imagination.

Thanks,

My transmission guy (30+ years experience) who built mine with DTT parts, says to just drain what you can, change the filter, and refill. You don't want to start flushing stuff in the trans that will loosen up debris. The main thing is to change that filter.

Once you do it once......then get on a schedule. I do mine every 20K miles along with a host of other maintenance items. So even though it doesn't get all the fluid out, it gets most of it and that's good enough. It replenishes the additives in the fluid. Since I do mine every 20K miles........it stays fresh.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drain what will drain and change the filter. Expect to have to add 7 quarts, the service manual indicates you will only need about half of that amount for some reason.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 PM

Update

I ended up bringing it to a local shop and had them do the work. They changed the filter and did a full fluid replacement using the trucks trans to pump the fluid. They said it's better that way than using a higher pressure system because they can tend to dislodge material build up and cause more harm than good. Also said chemical cleaners are not really a good idea either for the same reason, and the trans fluid has detergents in it anyway.
As far as band adjustment, they said you generally don't need to mess with them unless your having an issue. Mine were a bit loose they said and they did adjust them at no charge. The trans feels like new after the work, couldn't be happier. Don't know if it was the fluid and filter, the bands or a combination of both, but it was definately worth it. Watching the guy do the work, I'm glad I didn't do it myself. I wouldn't have had a full fluid exchange and other than what I read in the manual I have no idea what the bands do and how to tell if there worn or not. Also, without a lift, looks like a real pita job.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM

I ended up bringing it to a local shop and had them do the work. They changed the filter and did a full fluid replacement using the trucks trans to pump the fluid. They said it's better that way than using a higher pressure system because they can tend to dislodge material build up and cause more harm than good. Also said chemical cleaners are not really a good idea either for the same reason, and the trans fluid has detergents in it anyway.
As far as band adjustment, they said you generally don't need to mess with them unless your having an issue. Mine were a bit loose they said and they did adjust them at no charge. The trans feels like new after the work, couldn't be happier. Don't know if it was the fluid and filter, the bands or a combination of both, but it was definately worth it. Watching the guy do the work, I'm glad I didn't do it myself. I wouldn't have had a full fluid exchange and other than what I read in the manual I have no idea what the bands do and how to tell if there worn or not. Also, without a lift, looks like a real pita job.

Just curious, what did your local shop charge you? The local dodge dealership wanted 250 to change the filter and oil. I laughed as I walked out.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 PM

I am going to be changing the trans filter soon and was wondering if and how I get all the fluid out of the torque converter and lines, or is this not necessary.
Buy extra fluid. Drain old fluid and install new filter. Fill up trans with new fluid to high mark on dip stick. Then pull the "cold" line coming from the tranny cooler just before it goes back into the trans. I put piece of old garden hose to extend it out to where I could see it in my catch bucket. Start engine in NEUTRAL. Will pump out a gallon in about 45 seconds or so. Shut off engine. Add a gallon of new fluid to trans. And repeat. Connect cold line back up. Add more fluid to get back up to correct operating level. This will get most of the old fluid out of the convertor and cooler without the issues that a "Flush" can cause. I actually did mine three times on mine to be sure all the fluid was replaced.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:08 AM

Several shops around me will hook up to a BG fliud exchange machine using my fliud for $35 bucks.Love it.Best thing to happen to a auto trans since its invention.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hounddog
Several shops around me will hook up to a BG fliud exchange machine using my fliud for $35 bucks.Love it.Best thing to happen to a auto trans since its invention.
How much ATF did you buy for them to put in?
Old 02-19-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
There great but that doesn't get you a filter change
Question - Those having the filter changed AND then hook up to a fluid exchange machine...Don't they have to fill the tranny before hooking up the machine to exchange fluid? Sounds like a lot of new fluid lost just to clean out the converter??

I drain what I can and change the filter @ 20,000. 7 qts and 4 qts more for the Deep Dish Pan. Looks like 47RE and 48RE have same capacity.

RJ
Old 02-19-2009, 11:58 AM

even if you were to drain the fluid out of the converter. it will automatically pump fluid back into it once you fill and start the truck.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I get a fluid exchange done on my truck at my local dealer. 16 qts of fluid, minus my good boy discount, comes to a total of around $125.00. That is fluid and labor.......
Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM

I don't change filters any more often the 60k.I have on other cars serviced the filter at 90k.One a Gran Marquis and the other a Chevy Caprice Classic.I do a fliud exchange every 30k unless its Amsoil.On my 1500 truck I ran the Amsoil 50k and on my cars I ran it about 60k.Friend of mine exchanged out the fluid in his 05 dually every 30k and did the filter at about 100k with a top off.There was nothing to speak of in his pan or filter.

Quick Reply: 48re filter change