3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

48RE 1-2 shift shutter

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:19 PM
RDR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48RE 1-2 shift shutter

Got a bad deal going on.
When it goes to shift from first to second, MOST NOTABLY UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION, it will sort of surge/shutter. It feels like it's engaging then disengaging 1st gear a few times before finally shifting into 2nd.

What in the world causes this?
If I hammer on it, WOT, then it doesn't do this. Only at light through medium acceleration.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:48 PM

you can build up your tranny or get used to it till you loose 2nd or 3rd. You can think all the people who want our trucks to shift like a minivan.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 PM

check last couple months threads

Check last couple months and/or the archives for info.. and will give TSB's. Just had mine repaired under warranty last week and so far working fine. It is a electical solenoid for oil passage transfer in the Valve body which is located internally. Pan has to come down along with r&r of the oil at the same time.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:53 PM

Yeah but what you dont hear is how you2nd and 3rd gear clutch packs are already burnt and they dont replace them.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:45 PM

I take your issue to be a shudder under light to medium accel. Just normal takeoff with upshifts in range of 10-20 MPH and 20-30 MPH into direct. If that is correct then you have a issue with KD band.
Is it time for a tranny service and band adjsut? KD band adjustment and amount of junk in pan will tell story. If magnet looks like chocolate Krispy Kreme donut, the game is over.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:55 PM

Sounds to me like the governor pressure solinoid. It can completely destroy your trans. It's cheap, and easy to replace. I'd try that first. Had it go bad on me and the only responce I cound get was that the bands needed to be adjusted. Shortly thereafter I replaced all of the bands and all of the clutches, as well as my billet input shaft and converter. The clutches welded themselves together and tore the splines off. It will cost you maybe 50.00. Just throw the money at it for cheap insurance.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RDR
Got a bad deal going on.
When it goes to shift from first to second, MOST NOTABLY UNDER LIGHT ACCELERATION, it will sort of surge/shutter. It feels like it's engaging then disengaging 1st gear a few times before finally shifting into 2nd.

What in the world causes this?
If I hammer on it, WOT, then it doesn't do this. Only at light through medium acceleration.
Its called "shuttle shift". Do a search and hunker down, there is PLENTY of reading on the subject.

Disregard the doom and gloom, a mild case you describe will NOT destroy your transmission and cost you mega $$$.

It happens under light throttle becuase the electronics tend to wear and stick a little over time and the ECU does not have very fine control over the solenoid. Generally replacing the gov solenoid and transducer will cure the problem, for a while. It almost always comes back due to many factors.

DTT makes a product called a shift enhancer that addresses just this issue. A shift kit or built VB will also generally cure it. The former solution works by modifying the signal to the TV motor that is the general cause of the condition. The latter 2 work by modifying pressures internally and make much less touchy to small inputs.

If it only does it under very light throttle you learn to drive around it. If it starts happening at more and more throttle then it is time to consider a remedy. Don't sweat it until you have to.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:29 PM

Had mine done free of charge. Theres a TSB for replacing the Governor pressure solenoid valve. Dealer was a real D-Head and claimed that doing the TSB wouldnt fix the problem as I brought a copy of the TSB with me and demanded it be done. Mine was so bad I thought the tranny was shot. Not so. Runs perfectly now with the new GPSV. My truck is still under the 3/36 as it hasnt been in service 3 years nor hit 36K. Even if youre out of wearranty its a $150.00 deal at your local Dodge dealer. Well worth it as she shifts like a dream now.

Dealer didnt think the TSB would fix the issue and even wrote on my service ticket that the TSB didnt work. He lied. It works very nicely!
Name:  PIC01585.jpg
Views: 3004
Size:  60.0 KB
Old 03-07-2008, 11:00 AM

I guess he didn't like being proven wrong... I have the same issue... but I am over on the mileage...

I think I may just try and make and argument as to why they should do it for free anyway... Should make for good fun!!!

Can't wait for them to tell me it's because of the Bank's system on my truck!!!
Old 03-07-2008, 01:29 PM
RDR

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll start with a shift kit, governor solenoid, and transducer. Might as well replace my filter while I'm in there. Anyone know if there are any good write ups with pics of these procedures? Are they pretty self explanatory for someone with a little wrenching experience?
Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by RDR
Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll start with a shift kit, governor solenoid, and transducer. Might as well replace my filter while I'm in there. Anyone know if there are any good write ups with pics of these procedures? Are they pretty self explanatory for someone with a little wrenching experience?
Symptom/Condition:
The customer may experience a 1-2 shift transmission hunt during light throttle application. This
condition may be due to a governor pressure solenoid valve.

Diagnosis:
If the customer experiences the above condition perform the Repair Procedure.

Parts Required: Qty. Part No. Description
1 04617210 Valve, Governor Pressure Solenoid
4 05013457AA ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid
AR 02464324AC Gasket, Transmission Oil Pon (Note: Original pan
gasket is reusable and should not require replacement).

Repair Procedure: 1. Raise the vehicle on a suitable lift. Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position. Remove
the ignition key from the ignition switch.
2. Remove the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket. Clean and save the pan gasket
for later use during reassembly.
3. Disengage the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve (Fig. 1).
4. Remove the screws used to secure the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer to
the transmission valve body.
5. Remove the old govemor pressure solenoid valve from the transmission valve body.
6. Clean the transmission housing and oil pan gasket surfaces.
7. Lubricate the o-rings on the new governor pressure solenoid valve.
8. Align the governor pressure solenoid valve to the bore in the valve body.
9. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve to the valve body.
10. Install the governor pressure solenoid valve retainer and attaching screws to the valve
body.
11. Connect the wire connector to the governor pressure solenoid valve.
12. Install the transmission fluid (oil) pan and pan gasket (saved earlier) to the
transmission. Tighten attaching bolts to 13.6 Nm (125 in. lbs.).

Name:  21-009-07-f1.gif
Views: 3296
Size:  18.8 KB

Fig. 1 Governor Solenoid And Pressure Sensor

1 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SENSOR
2 - GOVERNOR PRESSURE SOLENOID VALVE
3 - ELECTRONIC GOVERNOR
13. Lower vehicle.
14. Add automatic transmission fluid to the transmission.
15. Verify correct transmission fluid level.

Policy: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:26 PM
RDR

governor solenoid
transducer
filter
shift kit
and service manual.
Ordered the parts. just under 200$ to my door.

I'm going to go ahead and adjust the bands while I'm at it.
I'll let you guys know how it goes. If anyone has any tips for
me in the meantime until the parts get here, please feel free!
I'm never adverse to free advice!!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:09 PM

Dont forget to take some "Action" photos of the job and share with your fellow board members!
Old 09-28-2008, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by RDR
governor solenoid
transducer
filter
shift kit
and service manual.
Ordered the parts. just under 200$ to my door.

I'm going to go ahead and adjust the bands while I'm at it.
I'll let you guys know how it goes. If anyone has any tips for
me in the meantime until the parts get here, please feel free!
I'm never adverse to free advice!!
Any followup to this? Im considering the same treatment on mine and was curious how this turned out. Also wondering where you ordered the parts from, what kind of shift kit, and how hard it was to do...
Old 09-29-2008, 06:33 AM

Here's a link to what the dealer had to do to mine.

Not too sure why the front band went out, whether the gov pressure solenoid, or transducer failed and took out the front band.

HTH

Tony