3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2006 Truck going into 4 low on its own

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you by chance checked the wire at the ac compressor line for chaffing, it is a 5v system wire. And has caused numerous problems in the past, I believe there is a sticky on this.;; Good luck...
Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for your pain, that's exactly why I would NEVER have a truck with an electrically operated transfer case!

And I have bypassed the tipm for my trailer wiring using a powered trailer light adapter module connected directly to the rear light wires...
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gcssr
Have you by chance checked the wire at the ac compressor line for chaffing, it is a 5v system wire. And has caused numerous problems in the past, I believe there is a sticky on this.;; Good luck...
I haven't seen that sticky....
I'll look for it!

I know about the wire underneath the truck, that isn't the same wire is it?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 PM

It still does it with the A/C pressure sensor thing disconnected.

Dodge sucks.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The contol module for my 04 is in the cab behind the dash, you didn't replace the engine control module did you?? Have you tried to clean all your plugs and put di-electric grease in them???

I'm chasing an issue close to yours with my 04, the control module has been replaced 2 times, the transfer case motor, and the dash switch... still something wrong...

If I can't fix it, I will try and figure out the signals that go to the motor and just make my own 4 way switch 2h, 4h, N, 4l, and bypass the whole computer set up... if that doesn't work it will be time for a case swap and a manual lever sticking out of the floor...
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM

Just keeping this going because someday, someone will have the issue and search for this knowledge and maybe I can help...

The air condo pressure switch is disconnected and the 4wd still engages on its own. The truck will sneak itself into 4hi and not let me know until I come to a corner and feel it bucking. Did I mention Dodge sucks?

I disconnected the plug going to the transfer servo to keep it in 2wd, and the 4lo light doesn't seem to ever flicker now. Maybe somewhere it is looking for a feedback reading and that is getting tangled up in the servo wiring?

Of course Dodge has never heard of the issue and wants to throw parts at it. No thanks.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just to throw it out there because of so many weird issues caused by it, have you checked for the chafed wire problem?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=chafed+wire

Edit: Didn't see it was already mentioned, but here is the link for future reference for anyone looking for it.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 PM

I hope so Steel....

Please please please please please.......

Yes, so I had the servo disconnected and was putting a new 5" turbo-back Flowmaster when what did my unbelieving eyes see but a chafed area of my wiring....

Impossible.

I had checked.

I had the shop check.

I have spent $1,000 and over a year fighting this thing. But it looked chafed in the right light.....

So today I changed the oil, pulled the filter, pulled the intake tube to the turbo and disconnected the harness to bring the wires up where I can see them.....

It was chafed through the jacket.

I cut the wire, stripped both ends back and put on a crimp on connector with heat shrink ends.

I reconnected the 4wd servo and the AC pressure switch wires...

Now we'll see if it give me fits still.

Please please please please please.....
Attached Thumbnails 2006 Truck going into 4 low on its own-img_1.jpg   2006 Truck going into 4 low on its own-img_2.jpg  
Old 04-17-2013, 05:25 PM

Arrrg!

It didn't work. Got caught in a rain storm and it is shifting by itself still.... Had to crawl underneath in the rain to pull the servo wire.

I called Dave Goerend and he said he would look into the wiring diagram and get back to me.... I sing his praises all the time now, but if he can fix this I'll erect a SHRINE...
Old 04-24-2013, 06:01 PM

Today I spent the entire day at the diesel service center. I would like to let everyone know the guys there are fabulous, they work their buns off and know their stuff. This is just a major headache of a problem though. The shop I go to is Diesel Forward in Windsor, WI. They work on any and all diesels from little bitty ones like my truck to monster ones in cranes and dozers and fire trucks.

Today they traced wires, tested circuits, tightened grounds and couldn't find anything wrong. They ran the switches through their paces and everything was to spec. After hours of work they decided to replace the servo motor assembly to see if it would make a difference.

As soon as it was replaced they drove the truck out of the shop and around to the customer waiting area, then right back into the shop. It was still flashing 4lo. :

The tech put the scan tool on and could see the signal for 4lo but not for the axle engagement. So the TIPM is thinking 4lo is requested but not 4wd.

It was late so they asked me to come back when they could have the truck for a couple days... They said they WILL figure it out if it kills them. The next step will be to cut open the wiring harness from front to back and inspect every inch of wire.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 PM

Wow my son has a 06 that the **** will not rotate to the 4 low position. I started a thread with zero responces now I know why if they have been reading what you've been going through. I know you'll post as soon as you find your issue. good luck. At least I know to tell him not to jump to conclusions if the start saying control module.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:22 AM

For a couple days I had no issues.

Then the truck went into 4hi by itself. No indicator lights, I noticed it when I turned into a parking lot, wheels binding. I shifted to 4hi, it flashed and went in, then shifted out and it was back in 2wd.

But it's still shifting into 4 hi. The 4lo light has even started flashing again. And this is bright and sunny weather, no rain, no puddles.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:45 PM

2006 going into 4 low

my 2011 was doing the same thing only going into high range and4 low light flashing took into shop and they changed the transfer case shift motor,have;nt had a promblem since.good luck.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by dodgebre3500
my 2011 was doing the same thing only going into high range and4 low light flashing took into shop and they changed the transfer case shift motor,have;nt had a promblem since.good luck.
Thanks for that. I have had the TC motor and all associated parts replaced and a new TIPM installed. Still does it.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Somebody out there must know where I should go with this truck...

I have the TC motor unplugged for now.

I had someone suggest the main computer may be the problem. I really hate throwing money at this problem while just guessing.

Quick Reply: 2006 Truck going into 4 low on its own