3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2006 owners_does your 48RE do this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=shep1]
Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
HTML Code:
Apparently the 06 48RE has had many internal upgrades since 05 and that is why I ask 06 owners specifically but feel free...

"Where did that info come from? Best info I have so far is programming changes only to handle the e-brake."

Reply:

Check out the new Dodge Ram heavy duty brochure, There is Info as to the changes made on the 48re auto not just programing but some internals also.

trust me its the same brochure as the 05's ive read it.they are just still trying to brag even though the changes are not really new anymore.............
Old 05-21-2006, 11:28 AM

How hard does ya'll tranny shift. I just got an auto, and if you have a drink in your hand when it shifts, it will be in your lap! I called the dealer and he just said thats how they all are.... I went to another dealer and drove one, and it shifted hard to.... not quite as bad, but still very hard???
Old 05-21-2006, 11:53 AM

These trucks are made for pullin. Firm shifts.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:58 AM

My 06 always shifted firm but not hard. It did want to hunt in the higher gears (overdrive in and out) though. I had the 18 003 006 flash if I remember the number. Anyway it vastly improved shifting. The ecm will also "learn" how you drive. The trans seems to have adjusted for the Toyo 35's, after about 300 miles the shift points are just where they are needed. I have the 3.73 gears and when I tow in town I have overdrive off and I am running at 1900 rpm at 45mph in 3rd. Plenty of power and shifts well. On acelleration, close to WOT, it shifts right at 3000rpm and firmly goes into next gear. Ask your dealer about the flash,
If I remember right it IS related to build date. They will run your VIN and tell you if the flash is needed. I read about the flash on TDR and had to tell the dealer about it. They looked it up and sure enough. After reading these forums you may know more about your truck that many dealers.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:02 PM

Mine does the same thing and it is an 05 and seems to be doing it worse and worse. It acts like it is partially in N and revs then catchs 4th and drops the rpms. I only have 6k on mine. Mike
Originally Posted by 06er
I dont know alot about trannies but this thing is the worest shiffting thing i have ever drove. This is my third diesel my first ctd and maybe my last. When shifting from 3rd to 4th it has about a 2to 3 second delay then bangs in to fourth, if i would accelerate in that delay i think it might just be the end of that tranny, and i only have 9,000 on the truck
Old 05-21-2006, 12:18 PM

auto tranny

mine is a 03 48re. It shifted hard until 30000 miles. Now is smoother
Old 05-21-2006, 12:57 PM

i just bought a 06 and it has a firm shift but tow hual seems to smooth it out while I'm pulling
Old 05-21-2006, 04:15 PM

[QUOTE=JCROMAN]
Originally Posted by shep1
trust me its the same brochure as the 05's ive read it.they are just still trying to brag even though the changes are not really new anymore.............
I think you are right on this. The Ram had such a bad reputation with the 47RE they are still trying to overcome it!

My 06 shifts firm, but NOT hard. If I'm not into it it shifts quite smoothly.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:02 PM

Mopard.Was yours equiped or ordered with a Snow Plow option? If so it is set up to BANG(engauge)quick and hard.The 94 through 99s I know for a fact were.Its to keep from hurting the clutch's,tranny in snow plow work.Had a few bought used here and there that over time ended up in our shop in the SOUTH that BANGED HARD from drive to reverse.They had a SNOW PLOW OPTION and to make them engauge normal(soft) required moving a check ball or two in the valve body.Took us a while to figure the first one out(had to call STAR,tech assistance) and realized that it was a OPTION.Snow Plow option! Just a thought.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:15 PM

Just had my 06 to the dealer for funky tranny shifting. they did some re-flash and now shifts great. no more 1-2-1 shifts. they also did a reflash for white smoke on start-up. I couldn't believe the overhead on the trip home the mpgs kept climbing. I will have to hand calculate to confirm, but it looks like a good 2-3 mpg increase.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Banned

thanks Hounddog, yep I have the snow plow prep. I asked the dodge mech about this and he said they are all the same VBs in all 48REs. If some whiz engineered my tranny to shift like this on purpose he should be taken out back and put out of his misery, lol. but I know it's not by design cuz mine seems to be one of very few that does this ... I've driven several others and though far from excellent they shifted pretty decent all around ... compared to mine.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:54 AM

Nope mine shifts into reverse smooth as silk............................
Old 05-25-2006, 05:47 AM

THEY(tech or whomever)need to call STAR(tech assist) to see if valving IS differant with snow plow option.It WAS on the 47RE! As I stated "THEY"wanted a quick,fast engaugement for snow plowing to lessen trans damage.'THEY"told tranny tech what to change in the valve body(check *****) and in two hours it shifted like all the others.I remember the FIRST one really well and then STAR said pull build sheet and see if its got SNOW PLOW option.Sure enough it did."THEY"said well then its DESIGNED to go into gear HARD(Reverse to Drive etc)BUT we can tell you how to make it like one WITHOUT the Snow Plow option.Guy had bought it used in the Atlanta area.Sold somewhere NEW in the far north. Do these OTHERS that shift that you tried have the Snow Plow option listed on the BUILD SHEET?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:05 AM

Just to add to this conversation...My 2004.5 with the snowplow package option does bang into reverse or forward pretty aggressively in comparison to my new 2006 without the plow option, not sure if this has anything to do with the tranny being different or not.

On Edit: My 2006 shifts normal...haven't noticed anything unusual.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:48 AM

Well then the valving in the valve body is differant! Tell the dealer trans tech to call STAR if you want the shift to be the same as one without the SNOW PLOW option.A tranny guru with STAR ought to know about the issue.Now that I think back on it they(STAR)faxed us a exployed view of the valve body and what check ball to move or discard etc.the option is to keep trans temp and slippage from drive to reverse(plowing)to a min.

Quick Reply: 2006 owners_does your 48RE do this?