3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2005 Dodge Cutting out problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Dodge Cutting out problems

Hello.
My cummins recently would not start. I sent it down to the Diesel Doctor for repairs, ended up getting a Fass Fuel Lift pump installed with new injectors. Shortly after returning home, the truck now cuts out. I am not sure whats wrong. the mechanic initially thought that some of the injectors were over tightened and thats what caused it. I let them re do the injectors, but the truck is still coughing.

Almost like it gets an air bubble or something. Maybe the injectors installed are not as powerful as the ones removed? Could this cause it?

Or would it be the other fuel pump going out?

Any thoughts?

Thank You,
Krystal
Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I know nothing but was wondering if you have a fuel pressure guage on it?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 PM

No, I do not have a fuel pressure, just boost and EGTs.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:18 AM

I'd get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up temporarily and check that. If not The next thing I'd check, is electrical connections. If you have a code reader that might help. That's about all I can think of. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:20 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I didnt even think about checking codes.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:22 AM

There are no codes coming up other than low voltage to my exhaust brake. It too is not working properly. Batteries were just changed.
We even kept the scan tool hooked up while driving.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Did you get the Fass pump with the filter or the one without? Did you keep the under the hood filter & has it been changed? How are the temperatures running where you live? Are you getting some real cold weather that could be causing your fuel to gel? I don't see a chip in your sig but do you have a chip & checked all electrical connections while they were under the hood changing injectors. You could have an air leak at one of the injector lines. Do you see or smell any fuel under the hood? Just some things off the top of my head.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:52 PM

Everything under the hood was left the same. No filter on the fass. Injectors were double checked for leaks. Confirmed that possibly was the prob. But still kindof cuts out. Temps are now in the 15 to 30 range. No gel, same fuels, antigel additive, plus I add my own.
Cuts out so fast, the rpms don't wander. Only cuts out when I step on the fuel, and mostly between 2nd and 5th gears.

I really need to figure something out, I am getting ready to haul eight horses through canada.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 PM

How many miles on your truck?

When does it cut out?

Completely random
When you step down on it
While running at a steady speed

Is there fuel leaking from pump body dripping down on wiring harness?
Old 03-04-2011, 06:44 PM

Smile

114247 miles on now, from 85000 when I bought it in April of 2010.

Only cuts out/coughs when I step on it, but mostly when shifting 2nd (my starting gear with no load) and 3rd. Doesn't do it too much between 4th and 6th, it does a little sometimes.

I don't see any fuel leaks, and I don't smell it under the hood either.

Any help is appreciated from everybody, thank you.

Krystal
Old 03-04-2011, 09:18 PM

Might not be your problem, but check the electrical wires by the A/C compressor. The insulation can rub through causing intermitant stumbling and problems starting.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, so I have to ask, what size FASS did they put on? 95 gallons per hour, or a 150 gph? Did they remove the pump from the tank. I am pretty sure the 05 has a stock fuel pump in the tank. If they did not remove it, they should have put in a draw straw that allows you to pull fuel from the tank from a separate source than through the original pump. It sounds like you are trying to pull fuel through an obstruction like the old pump.
If it is a 150, you have to install a draw straw, even on trucks that have no pump in the tank because it pulls so much fuel that it emptys the basket in the tank, faster than it can come in through the screen at the bottom.
Also, did they install Larger injectors. If so you could be draining the rail. This is cause by the high pressure pump cant keep up with the holes in the injs. Just like when you have a garden hose with too large of sprinklers on the line. The pressure in the hose drops to low to keep the sprinklers going.
Check these and let us know.

Good to see another Diesel Female around.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 PM

Keep in mind early 05's had the pump on the back of the filter housing. If they didn't remove the original pump and it is failing the new FASS will not be able to pump through the failed original pump. Just food for thought.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:29 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Just throwing this out there.....could be an APPS issue. Did quite a bit of reading on the Timbo APPS and others had similar problems that were resolved with the new unit.

Just my .02
Old 03-12-2011, 06:29 PM

What is the voltage at the FASS?

~Rob

Quick Reply: 2005 Dodge Cutting out problems