3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2003 ram 2500 cummins ho turbo dies after starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 08:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 ram 2500 cummins ho turbo dies after starting

Please give some advice if you have any ideas. My truck started fine drove a mile and died. I started it again and it died. It would start up I'd rev it up and it would die. This went on many times. So I was thinking fuel filter... I replaced that. And it continued with the same symptoms. Start up. Rev up and die... Finally it stayed running and I drove it two hours with no issues.. i drove it hard using the turbo slowing down using the turbo many times. What can I check out... thanks
Old 12-10-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you mention dying... you mean the truck shuts off?

The 03 and 04s originally have canister mounted fuel pumps which have a tendency to fail. Your pump likely failed if you still have it. This canister is where the fuel pump is located. You will see a yellow water relief valve at the bottom of the canister. The pump is a black cylindrical part mounted directly to the back of the canister.
First,have you checked for codes using the key trick? I have attached a link authored by forum member madhat that demonstrates how to do so. What codes are present?

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...s-t224833.html
Old 12-11-2013, 07:07 AM

Yes the truck was shuting down. Which was a little nerve racking in dallas traffic. After changing the fuel filter the truck would not start. Before bumping the starter. I left the key on 15 seconds to prime the new filter. And probably ran the starter 10 times of 30 seconds turning over the motor with no motor trying to start. It finally started and ideled fine and I drove home. This morning the truck ran fine. Its a 2003 with 220,000 miles . Do you think its the fuel pump failing ?
Old 12-11-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by cruizer32
Yes the truck was shuting down. Which was a little nerve racking in dallas traffic. After changing the fuel filter the truck would not start. Before bumping the starter. I left the key on 15 seconds to prime the new filter. And probably ran the starter 10 times of 30 seconds turning over the motor with no motor trying to start. It finally started and ideled fine and I drove home. This morning the truck ran fine. Its a 2003 with 220,000 miles . Do you think its the fuel pump failing ?
Did you check for codes using the key trick? I provided a how to link. But , at the moment it sounds like a bad pump. Very common issue.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:50 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Pretty good chance he won't show a code......my '03 never showed one when the LP died.....I just happen to NOT hear it run when I turn the key on.

Remove the fuel filter lid and bump the starter (don't start the engine) and make sure your LP is supplying fuel first.....then we can go from there.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 AM

Correct! A code may not register, but it is always a best practice to check for codes as a starting point.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:21 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I'd be looking at fuel supply. OP, do you have a FP gauge?
Old 12-11-2013, 08:30 AM

Sure, one symptom is the pump will not hum when the ignition key is turned to the on position. They typically hum or operate for 20 seconds or so. If you perform the key code trick, see what you get. A bad lift pump typically shows P0628 code on this model year. Another symptom is the truck will act as if it is out of fuel and cut out. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, it will tend to read zero at times.

One method to test the pump is to place a graduated container under the clear drain line projecting from the fuel filter canister and open the yellow drain lever. At that point, turn the key on and bump the starter. The lift pump should operate for 25 seconds and at least 2 quarts of fuel should drain into the container. If not replace the lift pump. If you get 2 quarts then replace the filter. I recommend the Baldwin PF7977 since it provides the best filtration efficiency for the canister location. So far, it sounds like a bad lift/fuel pump and the CP3 is drawing the fuel in order to keep it running.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:10 AM

I just checked the codes and I have one. P0628 - "low voltage detected at the fuel lift pump relay". I ll try the fuel flow test tonight. Since the truck is driving fine now. Should I clear the code and see if it returns? Or should i replace parts? If so what part? Thank you
Old 12-11-2013, 09:17 AM

I just checked the codes and I have one. P0628 - "low voltage detected at the fuel lift pump relay". I ll try the fuel flow test tonight. Since the truck is driving fine now. Should I clear the code and see if it returns? Or should i replace parts? If so what part? Thank you
Try the fuel test and report back with your findings.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 PM

I ran by autozone and had the P0628 code cleared, and it showed right back up. I noticed when I turn the key to on, I Do Not hear the little pump come on. So I guess that makes sense since low voltage is detected. Tonight I opened up the yellow lever to drain diesel to do the flow test and the flow does not change when you turn the key on and bump the motor and leave the key on. So the pumps not working. maybe a cup or two of fuel drained out of the container. Where is this little fuel pump located and do you happen to have instructions on changing it ? is that the next step or is there voltage check I should do first ? thanks for any help.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Unless someone has changed it, you have a canister mounted fuel pump. They are well known for dying.

You have a few options here. You can go cheap and buy a factory replacement from Geno's (not recommended):http://www.genosgarage.com/REPLACEME.../#.UqkQueIliH8

You can get an in tank conversion from the dealership (stock replacement)

You can get an aftermarket pump, such as an AirDog, Raptor, FASS, etc. They are not hard to do if you have a little mechanical knowledge.

Your current pump is located on the fuel filter canister.

Name:  canisterliftpump.jpg
Views: 12356
Size:  84.2 KB

There isn't a 'G' in Cummins... I fixed that for ya

Let me know what you think. If I explained these options, I'd be here all night... so ask, and we'll go from there.

mad
Old 12-11-2013, 07:47 PM

I agree with madhat. It's time to replace that pump. He has given you good advice regarding the replacement pumps to look at. Take a look at the pumps offered here at the DTR store. The service Lary provides is second to none.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:27 PM

I was wondering if the pump was on the back side of the fuel canister. not very easy to get to. When searching for the pump , I kept coming up with the In tank pumps. So that must be a mod. I d prefer to replace the small little pump on the back of the canister. So do I remove the canister from the truck or can we do the pump removal with the canister still in place reaching over the engine? thanks again for the help!!!.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:30 PM

I was wondering if the pump was on the back side of the fuel canister. not very easy to get to. When searching for the pump , I kept coming up with the In tank pumps. So that must be a mod. I d prefer to replace the small little pump on the back of the canister. So do I remove the canister from the truck or can we do the pump removal with the canister still in place reaching over the engine? thanks again for the help!!!.
There is no need to remove the canister. You would be best served by removing the left side plastic wheel well liner and the wheel. Also! I recommend you support the front of the vehicle with jack stands as a safety measure.With the liner and left front wheel removed, you should be able to access the pump rather easily.

Quick Reply: 2003 ram 2500 cummins ho turbo dies after starting