3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2 cycle oil as an additive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
I already posted where I had issues with it.. But I can elaborate. My exhaust brake started to stick after a few thousand miles of 2-stroke use, (less that one gallon of 2-stroke). What I noticed was that my exhaust brake wouldn't fully engage with the rpms above 1500 and the truck warm. I would have to push the clutch in to idle rpms and release it and then I would get full back-pressure. I quit using 2-stroke and it went away (took a few thousand miles)..

I have a back-pressure gauge and without it I would never have noticed, nor would my issues be noticed on a truck without an EB. I also noticed that my exhaust was much "stickier" when I went to clean the quarter panel.

I was only using 10oz per fillup, but my truck didn't like it.

Lots of people use 2 stroke with great effects, I still recommend it to all my 2nd gen buddies, but its not for my 3rd gen. And there are plenty of posts where 3rd gens didn't like it.
My experience has been good. Let me first state that I do not run it every fillup.

2 years ago I had at least one injector leaking down, white smoke on startup after sitting for 6 to 8 hrs. I took it to the dealer where they flashed it, and I tried many different additives, but none of them worked. I decided to give 2 stroke a shot, and I noticed a difference driving home from the station. Next morning when I cranked her up, no more smoke. I didn't run it for 3 or 4 months and it started with the white smoke again (little puffs, not a cloud). Stopped right away after adding some 2 stroke the next fill. I have not had any issues since I went back to using it on a regular basis.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I added 1 oz per gallon and immediately noticed that my mileage went up from 12 to almost 35! my transmission started shifting smoother and my worn out tires had started GROWING NEW TREAD! I also found that I could now give up cigarettes without any trouble and the ladies seemed to be drawn to me like crazy! did I mention that my truck has since been accepted my the catholic church as a miracle and has healed the sick and given sight back to those stricken with blindness?? sorry NO offense meant, I couldn't help myself LOL . but seriously, I ran 2 stroke in my 06 for a long time. 1 qt at fill up so around 1oz per gallon. I noticed NO fuel mileage increase in almost 20,000 miles of use. did it sound quieter? yes. did it seem to run smoother?? yes. did I notice any difference in the smell or amount of smoke from the pipe? no, did I have a grease black buildup all over my fender and any trailer I was pulling? yes. so why did I stop running it... well my totally stock motor dropped a valve at 18k miles(totally unrelated issue) and when I went to the dealership to view the carnage I saw the tops of my pistons and the inside of my combustion chambers and was shocked by the amount of thick carbon buildup. the diesel master tech told me this was unusual and he couldn't imagine what could be causing it. I kept my mouth shut and stopped adding oil from there on. I have been a motorcycle and small engine mechanic all my life and don't know why I never put 2x2 together before adding 2 stroke oil to my diesel. I don't know how many times I have had to pop the heads on small 2 stroke motors to decarbonise the top of the piston and cylinder head and exhaust port. also had spark arrestor screens on chainsaws totally plugged to the point that a saw will not run above idle and when you give it full throttle the engine stays at the same rpm. also had numerous 2 stroke dirt bikes with nearly plugged exhaust baffles which had NO power at all. although your truck will sound quieter and may seem to run smoother I think that 2 stoke does more harm than good on a diesel engine, it is coating the entire inside of your head, turbo, exhaust system and cat with thick black carbon. I'm sure someone is going to chime in any minute here after reading my post and say that he has put 2,XXXXXXX miles on his truck while running 2 stroke in every tank with no problems but ask him if he has ever had the head off of his truck and taken a peek inside?? and by the way, low carbon and ashless 2 stroke doesn't mean NO carbon. supertech says low carbon but thats all I ran.... there has to be a better additive. something designed to run in diesel engines that really adds lubrication without the carbon build up
Old 03-12-2010, 01:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by supersonictoys
I added 1 oz per gallon and immediately noticed that my mileage went up from 12 to almost 35! my transmission started shifting smoother and my worn out tires had started GROWING NEW TREAD! I also found that I could now give up cigarettes without any trouble and the ladies seemed to be drawn to me like crazy! did I mention that my truck has since been accepted my the catholic church as a miracle and has healed the sick and given sight back to those stricken with blindness?? sorry NO offense meant, I couldn't help myself LOL . but seriously, I ran 2 stroke in my 06 for a long time. 1 qt at fill up so around 1oz per gallon. I noticed NO fuel mileage increase in almost 20,000 miles of use. did it sound quieter? yes. did it seem to run smoother?? yes. did I notice any difference in the smell or amount of smoke from the pipe? no, did I have a grease black buildup all over my fender and any trailer I was pulling? yes. so why did I stop running it... well my totally stock motor dropped a valve at 18k miles(totally unrelated issue) and when I went to the dealership to view the carnage I saw the tops of my pistons and the inside of my combustion chambers and was shocked by the amount of thick carbon buildup. the diesel master tech told me this was unusual and he couldn't imagine what could be causing it. I kept my mouth shut and stopped adding oil from there on. I have been a motorcycle and small engine mechanic all my life and don't know why I never put 2x2 together before adding 2 stroke oil to my diesel. I don't know how many times I have had to pop the heads on small 2 stroke motors to decarbonise the top of the piston and cylinder head and exhaust port. also had spark arrestor screens on chainsaws totally plugged to the point that a saw will not run above idle and when you give it full throttle the engine stays at the same rpm. also had numerous 2 stroke dirt bikes with nearly plugged exhaust baffles which had NO power at all. although your truck will sound quieter and may seem to run smoother I think that 2 stoke does more harm than good on a diesel engine, it is coating the entire inside of your head, turbo, exhaust system and cat with thick black carbon. I'm sure someone is going to chime in any minute here after reading my post and say that he has put 2,XXXXXXX miles on his truck while running 2 stroke in every tank with no problems but ask him if he has ever had the head off of his truck and taken a peek inside?? any by the way, low carbo and ashless 2 stroke doesnt mean NO carbon. supertech says low carbon but thats all I ran.... there has to be a better additive. something designed to run in diesel engines that really adds lubrication without the carbon build up
About that church thing... Did you have to call them or do they just 'sense' a miracle and seek you out?

I can't believe 2-stroke will cause all this carbon if used in moderation. I've never had a chainsaw plug up, and I leave fuel in them for months at a time and never had to rebuild a carb. All my two stroke bikes and ATVs never have had problems, never a plugged exhaust, nothing. So if your metering valve is screwed up or you are dumping in a couple quarts of 2 stroke in a 3 gallon gas tank I can see it causing a problem.

You say you were dumping in a quart per fill-up. Figuring you were putting in maybe 20 - 25 gallons a fill-up, you were running richer than most here have luck with.

I run Amsoil fuel treatment and my mileage goes up with it, but I haven't sat down and figured if the increase offsets the price. It does grow hair though and I don't have a bald spot anymore!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:32 PM

Think of this. The 2 storke you are running you are adding nearly double the amount of oil to the gas from what your running in these trucks. At 32:1 premix thats 4 oz of oil per gallon so that would be like running 136 oz per tank. I do not see how it is possible for such a small amount of oil to cause the carbon build up your claiming. I can only take your word for what you said you saw. Also these motors are cranking out WAY more compression than any 2 stroke you have ever rode. That alone should creat enough heat to completly burn the small amount of 2 stroke oil off to not leave carbon, and in the case that carbon does build, the heat generated in these motors should have no problem burning it off. Just my .02

Most guys here running it are only running 16 oz per fillup. that's a 272:1 ratio
Old 03-12-2010, 08:24 PM

do as you please..... just wanted anyone reading this to see both sides of the coin.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by supersonictoys
do as you please..... just wanted anyone reading this to see both sides of the coin.
****, you jinxed me. I went to start my truck this morning and the spark plugs were fouled by all the oil I have been using..........
Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 AM

excessive carbon in a 2 stroke motor means one of a few things, most common is two much oil, wrong spark plug or idiling to much. All three of these things are the demise of a two stroke motor.

As for your Cummins motor, I would be curious as to see what type and style of carbon was on the pistons and head. Was it wet and chunky or was it dry and flaky?
Why I ask is this will tell us if it is from to much fuel, oil or another issue at hand.

For me I use to get around 700-750km(434-466miles) per tank. I started to add 2 stroke just to try it and now I am seeing 8-850km (497-528 miles).

I started to do this a few months ago when it was still -30 deg c (still winter fuel) outside and noticed within two tanks the milage gain. Do I fully beleive that 2 stroke works. Not totally convinced yet, now I have to stop using it for 4 tanks and see where the milage goes. I do know that I have never seen 800km per tank of fuel in this truck before.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ive added it to my 99 i c mpg goes up slightly, my 05 doesnt like it, will cause motor to intermitly shake, yes 2 stroke oil will carbon up a machine to the point it will not run, it leaves an 1/8" coating on my pistons, it causes rings to stick, it buils up over time in exhaust ports . I just finished replacing pistons and cylinders in my blowers, i should have saved pics before i threw them out. as far as using it in a 4 stroke app, idk if it has the same effect.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 AM

firts off , I fill my truck till the fuel stay visible in the fill neck so 40 gallons. I run it down to where the low fuel light comes on every time so less than 6 galls in the tank when I fill. I am usually adding 35+ gallons. I dump in 1 qt per fill up so around 1oz per gallon, actually a little less. carbon was hard and black like and oily just like I have seen in any 2 stroke motor that has been run for a long time. anything that gets hot enough with build carbon. head, piston exhaust manifold, turbo, cat . anything that doesnt get hot enough will just get the oil that slips the heat when you are coasting or when the truck is idling. now I'm sure not all of the oil is turning to carbon but its building up thin layer ontop of thin layer over time untill you have something an 1/8 inch think and hard as a rock coating everything
Old 03-14-2010, 12:35 PM

I simply do not see how that small of an amount of 2 stroke would build up in a motor with as much compression and heat as a diesel. But we will say it does. The amount of time to build that much up would take years. I run 2 strokes with MUCH more oil than what we put in here, and at the most my pistons have a very light brown hue to them. Never any actual buildup.

Either way in the case that you could have carbon build up, you can always hookup a trailer with a nice heavy load and haul it around for a tank and it will burn that carbon off. In fact you should probly do it anyways just to help burn off any moisture that could have accumulated in your oil.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:44 PM

Were your injectors coated as well? How about your valves.

mini14 in response to your comment, how old are your blowers? What style and what fuel mixture are you using.

I use to run 2 strokes all the time chainsaws, weed wackers and dirt bikes.
I use to gum the living daylights up on all my equipment. I use to mix everything by topping the gas can up then dumping what I thought was the proper mix ratio in then a tad more for good measures.

Now I mix everything a little lean and it seems to be working fine, have not had any problems with carbon or gumming up the carbs etc. Just my expierance.
To much oil, idiling or low power usage equals carbon buidl up.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:35 PM

All motors are not scientifically the same. all are not built the same. witness the MPG variations in similar configurations and body styles. Lets eliminate the 2 stroke to Diesel engine comparisons in that I bet maybe 5 out of 100 2 stroke operators have the ability( and tach) to properly adjust the carburation to a 2stroke. A chainsaw and a Cummins have less in common than my aunt and my uncle( plumbing wise). adding lubricity to ULSD seems like a good thing, in what ratio per each vehicle and operation might vary per operator and conditions.

one size don't fit all.

Lets put our gloves down and play nice, nothing wrong with a good healthy discussion but internet arguments are pretty silly, even if well intended.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:59 PM

Bought my truck new. Never added anything to it. Only fuel. 165,000 miles and going strong.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
I simply do not see how that small of an amount of 2 stroke would build up in a motor with as much compression and heat as a diesel. But we will say it does. The amount of time to build that much up would take years. I run 2 strokes with MUCH more oil than what we put in here, and at the most my pistons have a very light brown hue to them. Never any actual buildup.

Either way in the case that you could have carbon build up, you can always hookup a trailer with a nice heavy load and haul it around for a tank and it will burn that carbon off. In fact you should probly do it anyways just to help burn off any moisture that could have accumulated in your oil.
Banshee-man, I have 3 boys and they all had banshees. I had 2 of my own, my rider and a hill race bike so thats 5. I have rebuilt numerous banshees and done cylinder porting on dozens of sets of cylinders. there is no way in hell you can compare a banshee engine which probably gets run a total of 20 hours a year or less to a diesel truck motor that gets run 12000 miles a year. you are talking about a motor that gets 25 gallons of fuel run through it a year and comparing it with a motor that gets 1000 gallons a year run through it. also, the day I bought my truck I mounted a 2000lb camper on it , installed air bags and hooked it up to an 18000lb enclosed trailer loaded with tools and a small forklift. the motor in the truck grenaded at 18k and I would estimate that 17500 of those miles were pulling that trailer. no amount of load or heavier use is going to burn this carbon off. by the way , when my truck blew up I was pulling the load I mentioned and was getting about 13.5mpg hand calculated so it obviously wasn't over fueling. at the time this happened I posted pics on this site (was a couple years ago) . I will look and see if I still have them. in the mean time, you go run your banshee 18k and then come back and we will talk.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 AM

I don’t know where you come up with those numbers but I ran 15 gallons of fuel each weekend I went to Glamis, Pismo, or Dumont. And I went on average 2 times a month. And I know alot of guys that ride more than that. Also like I pointed out, the mixtures are so completely different that I cannot see how you claim as much carbon build up as you have. A 2 stroke running 32:1 compared to a diesel running 272:1 ???? How is it physically possible? The minute amount of extra oil presented, plus the enormous amount of compression these motors are putting out compared to any banshee or any 2 stroke for that matter is astonishing!

Guys foul plugs running 2 strokes because they are so fat that the plugs get drenched in fuel and oil. Even those motors barley have any carbon build up on them, much less 1/8th of an inch!

Also what kind of oil did you run in your banshee? Benzoil? If so it is known for gumming up more than a castor based premix.

To run the same ratio as your typical 2 stroke you would need to run 8.5 16oz bottles per fillup to get the same 32:1 ratio. We are talking about 16oz for 34 gallons! I may be crazy here but I simply do not see it happening.

Quick Reply: 2 cycle oil as an additive?