3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2 cycle oil as an additive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05HDRAM
It's all personal choice. If you don't want to run it - don't. I have and do run it with good results. It costs me an extra .50 to .75 per tank, and I am ok with that. I have seen no negatives at this point, and it is a noticable difference when it's in the tank. Much smoother and quieter.
At one ounce of 2cycle per one gallon of fuel that means you pay $2 to $3 per gallon of oil. How about sharing with us where you get that kind of deal. I spend at least $10 a gallon for the TCW3 I use in my boat. That would add up to over $1100 for the ULSD I have burned from Jan 1, 2007 through Dec 31, 2009.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:36 PM

I don't put in 1oz per gal., I use about 12 to 14 ozs for a complete fill. I don't run it down to E, so I don't need the full amount every fillup.

I have run many tanks with nothing added, and it runs fine. As I stated earlier, my truck is much quieter and smoother with the 2 stroke, so I will continue to use it.

I already said don't run it if you don't want to, just stop putting down people that do - unless you have some type of proof that 2 stroke is harmful. I did a bunch of research before trying it, and found nothing that shows it will cause any problems.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:46 PM

I don't put in 1oz per gal., I use about 12 to 14 ozs for a complete fill. I don't run it down to E, so I don't need the full amount every fillup.

I have run many tanks with nothing added, and it runs fine. As I stated earlier, my truck is much quieter and smoother with the 2 stroke, so I will continue to use it.

I already said don't run it if you don't want to, just stop putting down people that do - unless you have some type of proof that 2 stroke is harmful. I did a bunch of research before trying it, and found nothing that shows it will cause any problems.
I never put anyone down or implied it causes problems. I'm just saying it isn't needed for ULSD. Still wanting to know where you get that oil, even at 1/2 oz per gallon you are getting a great deal at $4 to $6 per gallon.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by GAmes
I never put anyone down or implied it causes problems. I'm just saying it isn't needed for ULSD. Still wanting to know where you get that oil, even at 1/2 oz per gallon you are getting a great deal at $4 to $6 per gallon.
Guess I forgot the higher oil prices since I bought it last. Maybe it would cost me a $1 now, that's about half a tank. I don't let it drop more than that in the winter. So yeah, maybe I will have to spend a whole extra $2 on a fill up - ohhh nooo.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
LMAO!!!
Old 03-08-2010, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you wanna take the chance that the tanker driver puts in the correct amount of additive when he refills the tanks at your favorite fuel station? Not me. That's why I dump in about 8 ounces every 3 or 4 fill ups. Then I'll run a bottle of Redline fuel additive. And if I think I might be running the oil too rich, I'll just do a fill up with no oil to thin out what's already in the tank. Been doing this for years on my '06, and did the same for my former '03. Never had a problem dumping in 2 stroke.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisJohnson
Do you wanna take the chance that the tanker driver puts in the correct amount of additive when he refills the tanks at your favorite fuel station? Not me.
Hate to break it to ya, but the driver hasn't anything to with the additive packages. The terminal is in charge and loads the appropriate additive package to which ever fuel company is there. You wouldn't believe all the different fuel company trucks that come out of the same terminal. It's all in the additive packages that they put into the fuel as it's loaded into the tanker.
The Lubricity is automatically added to the Diesel as it's loaded into the trucks by the terminal, not the driver.
I do a lot of pump work in the terminals and asked about the lubricity.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:59 PM

I am not trying to start an argument, so forgive me if I made and an incorrect statement.

I originally posted that I have no experience with a cat and I told the person that I was answering that he MIGHT NOT want to use it, not that he shouldn't. A cat can be clogged very easy with oil.

Today I learned first hand, that a 5.9 Cummins at work was just re-ringed and a cat was added to the vehicle. The cat was required to be cleaned by taking the temp of the cat to 750 degrees. The cleaning was supposed last for 4 weeks. It clogged in 4 days!!! This I am sure was from the motor oil that was getting past the rings before they run in or seated.

I still think that 2 stroke oil can be used with a cat if the vehicle is driven so that the temp of the exhast is kept high. If it is driven short distances and not worked hard, any oil can plug up a cat on a diesel. A cat must run hot to do its work.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 PM

I started using a canola based additive after installing new VP44. Seems to be burning clean and starts and runs great.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 PM

Papaduck,
No problem on my end, thought you might know something I didn't. I do a lot of towing and the oil sure seems to make things run smoother/quieter and it got rid of some low RPM stuttering (maybe cleaner injectors?). I'm sure with the EGTs I get towing, the CAT see's lots of extended time over 750. Thanks for your insights.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:49 AM

The amount of 2 stroke being added for most of us is very small. I don't see any issues with a CAT unless you dump a ton in, or maybe after a couple hundred thousand miles. I don't know how many anti 2 stroke people ran Low Sulfer vs Ultra Low Sulfer, but I can tell you I noticed a difference when the switch was made. It was not a huge difference, but noticable. The engine made a little more noise, and I lost about a 1 mpg.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Chapter President

With all the testing that's been done the rule of thumb is 1oz to 1 gallon.
Oh ya our trucks run on #2 diesel OIL. If you have oil getting by the rings bad enough to clog the Cat you'll find you have a run away engine on your hands.
I don't have any hard feelings against anyone, just don't post up info you have no first hand experience of.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by robert78.5
I started using a canola based additive after installing new VP44. Seems to be burning clean and starts and runs great.
My curious cat is dying to know what canola based additive you are using, thinks we might give it a try.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 PM

I used some TCW3 on my trip this weekend. I seemed to have gained about 2 mpg cruising at 70-75 mph over the whole trip. 500 miles each direction. Back loaded with a atv and bags, and my milage went up from what it normally runs. Was it the oil? I have no clue but what ever it was my mpg improved. And when I punch it I get less black smoke.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I already posted where I had issues with it.. But I can elaborate. My exhaust brake started to stick after a few thousand miles of 2-stroke use, (less that one gallon of 2-stroke). What I noticed was that my exhaust brake wouldn't fully engage with the rpms above 1500 and the truck warm. I would have to push the clutch in to idle rpms and release it and then I would get full back-pressure. I quit using 2-stroke and it went away (took a few thousand miles)..

I have a back-pressure gauge and without it I would never have noticed, nor would my issues be noticed on a truck without an EB. I also noticed that my exhaust was much "stickier" when I went to clean the quarter panel.

I was only using 10oz per fillup, but my truck didn't like it.

Lots of people use 2 stroke with great effects, I still recommend it to all my 2nd gen buddies, but its not for my 3rd gen. And there are plenty of posts where 3rd gens didn't like it.

Originally Posted by papaduck
I originally posted that I have no experience with a cat and I told the person that I was answering that he MIGHT NOT want to use it, not that he shouldn't. A cat can be clogged very easy with oil.
Most modern 2-stroke oils are cat compatible (at least the ones I called and check with the mfgr). I only called one or two, because by the time I went to try 2-stroke my kitty was missing.

Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
With all the testing that's been done the rule of thumb is 1oz to 1 gallon.
Oh ya our trucks run on #2 diesel OIL. If you have oil getting by the rings bad enough to clog the Cat you'll find you have a run away engine on your hands.
I don't have any hard feelings against anyone, just don't post up info you have no first hand experience of.
That is a good rule of thumb for 2nd gen, but not for 3rd gen. And since this is a 3rd gen discussion....

Most 3rd gens don't like a full 1oz per gal, thou some do... But most have found .5-.75 oz per gallon is optimal for mpg/noise/lube. I was running .28oz per gal when I had my issues.

Quick Reply: 2 cycle oil as an additive?