3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1st test drive today, new 3500 quad cab...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st test drive today, new 3500 quad cab...

It drove real nice for sure.

It only had 14 miles on it.

I briefly took it upto ~70 MPH and there *was* a small change in the sound inside the truck but I didn't notice any change in vibration in the cab or on the steering wheel, etc., so I don't think it's an issue in this particular truck.

The build date on this truck is April 2004.

Here are some of the issues I'm curious about:

1.) The dealer told me these trucks heat up very fast in the cold of winter, that the cab heater comes upto temp very fast and is plenty adequate. He has a 2004 600 HO so this is his actual testimony. He says it's not even necessary to use the block heater.

This doesn't seem to square with what I've heard on this board.

Could this be legit?

2.) He also said he's getting ~22 MPG with a 600 HO using 4:10 gears.

3.) The overhead gas milage meter on the test drive truck didn't get over 8.7 MPG in 16 miles of test drive (pretty much babying it). The dealer said the meter hasn't been calibrated yet because it's so new.

Does this sound legit?

This truck I'm considering buying is a 3500 short bed quad cab with the J-option package.

It has 4:10 gears (I wanted 373's but this is a leftover 2004 and it's a pretty good deal think) and leather interior.

I can pick it up for ~20% off sticker.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I've been visiting this board for about 6 months and IMO it's time to buy.

Thanks alot,

DT.
Old 07-17-2004, 06:33 PM

It won't be up to normal operating temperature in cold weather for up to 12 miles in my experience. But it will start blowing some warm air within 2 miles. Don't let it sit idling to warm it up. After oil pressure comes up, drive easy for a couple of miles and then you're good to go.
I can get 23mpg according to the overhead computer if I drive 55mph. The over head is usually 1mpg less than when I use the calculator so it's not adding to it. At 70mph I get 19mpg on the overhead. When I first bought the truck it said 8.something mpg. Hit the reset button whenever you want and it starts averaging all over again. I'm getting 18.5 in town while the overhead usually reads 17.5 if I leave it alone for a week. So if he drives 55mph, he's not pullin' your leg too bad. Yeah I know mine's a S/O but unless you're pouring on the coal, it should be similar just cruising...
20~% off isn't bad at all. Mine listed for 37,580. I got it for 30,700. They gave me book trade for my '01.5 and sold it in less than a week for 28k so we both did good considering I didn't want to take the time to sell it myself.
If you drive it up to 75mph on a smooth as silk road and you don't get any vibration other than the very faint feeling of the motor, it's probably a good one. I didn't get a chance to drive mine up to vibration speed before I bought it. I'll never do that again.
Sounds like you may have found yourself a truck!
Old 07-17-2004, 06:52 PM

Thanks alot Hannibal.

I did take it upto ~72 MPH and didn't feel any difference as far as vibration goes, at least not enough to for me to remark on.

I did detect an increase in noise at above 68-70 or so but it was just a little louder.

There was no (as far as I could tell at the time) increase in vibration.

If the truck has the 70 MPH vibration problem, is there any mistaking it?

If it was there any chance I'd miss it?

Or does it stick out like a sore thumb.

Thanks again,

DT.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:09 PM

Some probably worse than others. In mine, the 2100rpm normal engine vibration is felt mostly in the steering wheel and accelerator peddle. The problem vibration is a lower frequency than the 2100rpm engine vibration but higher frequency than a throbbing tire vibration. It's not enough to bother my Mrs but it bugs me to no end. At 68mph, it's about the same feeling and intensity as the normal vibration at idle with the automatic in gear. At least it is in mine. It sometimes starts at about 62mph, gets my attention at 68mph and is pretty harsh at 75mph. Almost like I had run over the white line and was on the warning ripples along the side of some interstate highways. If you're looking for it, you'd probably feel it if it had it even if it was minor.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:48 PM

Thanks again Hannibal.

Tomorrow I'll take it for another test drive with the wife and bring it upto 75.

If I don't see a big vibration I think I'll buy it.

I'll report back then.

DT.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:26 PM

I drove a 600 QCab 2500 Auto 3.73s.Bombing around town the overhead said 12mpg,out on the highway at 70mph it went up tp 15.9 after only a few miles and was still going.