3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1st oil Change today

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Hounddog,

I understand your point of view. But, I enjoy changing my own oil every 5k interval. I can afford to take it somewhere if I want, but I take that time as an opportunity to get under my truck and look around and make sure everything is doing fine.

To me, the oil change part is hardly any work anyway. I have a fumotovalve so I just turn the handle and it drains. Oil filter takes just a second to change too.

I am sure thousands of people have been to oil change places and dealerships for simple work like that and have never had a problem. Neither have I when I took mine in. But I always watched them like a hawk. Now I don't have to because I just do it myself and KNOW it is done right and with my own special care.

Here.....READ THIS THREAD....and WATCH THIS VIDEO

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=jiffy+lube

Would you want these guys changing your oil? It might have been done. Then again....it might not have been. To me, it's not worth it to take that chance.

I do admit though.........I take my truck to Discount Tire to rotate the tires. They do it for free!! But then again, I still watch them like a hawk.

Same here, little stuff like oil changes, trans fluid, air filter, exhaust, etc ill do myself, I just never felt like paying someone else way more than I should, for something that I dont know for sure if they did to my liking.

I do all of that work myself because I do not trust the little lube joints.
Call me ****, but id rather do it myself and know for a fact its done right, not to mention saving money, and for what, 30 minutes of my time? Its more than worth it to me.

For a vehicle I want to last as long as possible, ill take a moment out of my day to make sure its done right, instead of trusting a bunch of guys that make less than enough for them to care when they work on my truck.
Just IMO.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Muted User

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Well I have NOT changed my own oil in years.What a nasty mess to deal with.I'd sooner pull the head off it in the driveway as I would change oil in it or any of my other vehicles.NEVER have had a issue with someone else doing it.Of course I kinda stand over them for the most part also.We each have our own thing that bothers us.I read posts about guys doing their own tire rotations and oil changes at home.Thats GRUNT work to me and cheap labor.I'd sooner make my concern and presence known and let a grunt do it.Did have a neighbor once whom mounted and BALANCED his own tires in the driveway.Chezz.
Hey, I rotate and balance my own tires at the house, and I can have it done in less than 30minutes, but that's why I gross over 120k a year.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:37 PM

I'll spend $10:50. I don't care what the oil change guy see's or dosen't see.I just want him to change oil/filter and lube oh yea air in the tires to my specs.and really could care if thats done.Thats all I want. Hate messing with a big pan,hate having to haul it to dispose of it,hate crawling around under it with oil spatter even slow spatter.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 PM

By spending my time wisely in the past is why I can afford to pay someone
Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 PM

You guys don't get free oil changes from your dealership? Before I bought my truck I mentioned to my salesman that Ford gives my dad lifetime free oil changes and that sure would be nice to have on mine as well. He said DC is talking about starting to do that as well. He said he could get me 3 yrs free. I'll drive my truck 3-4 years and it'll have 160000 on it by then and it'll be time to get a new one. So that adds up after that long.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:11 PM

I agree about the Slick 50... When teflon is applied... it is applied at very high temperatures inorder to stick and do its job... otherwise you would have teflon mixed in with your eggs for breakfast...
Problem with putting it in your motor is that it never reaches the right temp to be effective and if it does then it is not uniform coverage and can cause problems...
Ask who has used this type of lube in a rifle and see what is does to their accuracy... I have a friend that used some when he was a sniper in the military and his rifle became too erratic that he had to get a different gun.

Now if you want a material that WILL help with what you are trying to do... get something with Moly in it. (at a decent %) It will soak into the metal and increase film strength to prevent damage at start up.

BTW... I don't think anyone should change their own oil!!! I think they should leave it up to the professionals like me!!! hahahahaha
I gotta make a livin some how!

Oilguy