3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

07 is powerless!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 is powerless!!!!

My buddy bought an 07 QC 4x4 2500 back in April. Not long after he bought it it started acting up. Daily driving the truck is fine. However, when he pulls a load, the motor acts like it has no power. pulls slow, slow acceleration, power drops, and he can only get it up to 65mph. He's taken it to several dealerships and they can't tell him what's wrong with it.

Any of you guys had this problem??? I need some help quick...he's thinking about trading it in on a PowerStroke!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:37 AM

Tell him to find a mechanic that knows his edit from a hole in the grd! This is surely a warranty issue. I can spin all 4 back tires with my XZT on #2 (that's only +40 hp) and no other mods,,,yet. Only have 6300 miles on 'er and averaging 16-17 mpg.

Maybe someone here can suggest a dealership/mechanic; where are you located?

PS - If he insists on a PS, tell him he can join a buddy of mine getting 12 mpg average.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:40 AM

Check the intercooler and hoses to and from it to make sure there is no boost leaks.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:28 AM

Let me add also....he works on for an oil company checking oil locations. So he takes his truck to the dealership Friday. They tell him that his truck has an excessive amount of hours that doesn't match up to the miles and his problems are due to carbon build-up in the injectors/motor. Daimer-Chrysler says that his warranty his void due to neglect(He had way more hours than miles)...What do you think he should do guys?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:48 AM

Contact a lawyer, there is nothing in the warranty with regards to hour limits. I do agree that lots of idling does bad things to engines.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by cssnider
Let me add also....he works on for an oil company checking oil locations. So he takes his truck to the dealership Friday. They tell him that his truck has an excessive amount of hours that doesn't match up to the miles and his problems are due to carbon build-up in the injectors/motor. Daimer-Chrysler says that his warranty his void due to neglect(He had way more hours than miles)...What do you think he should do guys?
If there's any truth to this, do they recommend an additive for carbon/soot build up? I'd start there, maybe try to flush the injectors w/ Lucas or something good for injectors. He needs to get that truck out on the open road and drive it like he stole it. I swear mine runs better after I run the pi$$ out of it for many miles w/ trailer.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 AM

Thanks for the help guys...we'll see what happens and i'll keep you posted!! I agree that the warranty void is Bull S@!#
Old 11-15-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tell em to trade it in on another one. This isn't some new powerstroke that just came out. Its a Cummins. A big name with big hands. And 6 cylinders.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Below is the URL for an updated Service Bulletin from Cummins dated Oct 31, 2007. It talks about the proper fuel to use, about additives and idling a Cummins engine.

http://www.maitlandelectric.com/truck/fuel.html
Old 11-15-2007, 07:34 PM

May sound so simple its stupid, but has the fuel filter been changed? My friends truck, although older than your friends, acted the EXACT same way when we were hauling some horses out of state. I asked him when he had last changed the fuel filter. His reply was "it shouldn't matter I use clean fuel" . Found a fuel filter in the next town and changed it out. Lo and behold we ran up and down hills at 70 mph after that!
May not be the problem since your friends truck was pretty new when this started. But he may put lots of miles on it too working oil fields which are also very dusty.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

What sounds like to is, well cummins has a bad batch of blocks out and his motor might be toast. My dealer has put new motors in 2 new 07 ctd with about 6000 miles.Funny story one of them still had alot of problem and noone could figure out why. Well wonderful mopar shipped them the 305 block instead of the 325 block so it was running to rich. He might want to look into that and if the dealer is going to void his warrenty for that they need to all be fired and get the crap beaten out off them that is bs. He should ask them do you want me to hop right in and take off with out letting the motor warm up so I blow up other crap rather then having more hours then miles.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by KMKDiesel
What sounds like to is, well cummins has a bad batch of blocks out and his motor might be toast. My dealer has put new motors in 2 new 07 ctd with about 6000 miles.Funny story one of them still had alot of problem and noone could figure out why. Well wonderful mopar shipped them the 305 block instead of the 325 block so it was running to rich. He might want to look into that and if the dealer is going to void his warrenty for that they need to all be fired and get the crap beaten out off them that is bs. He should ask them do you want me to hop right in and take off with out letting the motor warm up so I blow up other crap rather then having more hours then miles.
KMK - How do we tell. Can you get some indentifying numbers for these blocks? Mine's an '07 too, so in case something goes TS, I'd like to be able to verify this. This may be good info for a new thread to alert all '07 owners. Thanks