3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'04.5

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Location: Alberta Foothills - Power to grow with 6 in a row - XLR8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04.5

What should I look out for in a '04.5 6spd 4x4 before I buy it? I'm new to the 3rd gen world.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Banned

ball joints and tie rods other than that i love mine. 04.5 imo is better than the 03-04 because the 600 series cummins (better power) and better than the 05 because of the nv 5600 tranny
Old 12-30-2007, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by jfranklin
ball joints and tie rods other than that i love mine. 04.5 imo is better than the 03-04 because the 600 series cummins (better power) and better than the 05 because of the nv 5600 tranny
Thanks. I suppose you need a fair amount of miles to wear them out,eh?
Old 12-30-2007, 11:18 AM

Owned 04.5 for 76k mi

Hello. I've owned my 04.5 (48RE auto) for 76k mi and have loved the truck; however, there are a few things you need to look out for, most are minor annoyances to me. Don't get me wrong, I love this truck.

#1 - Mine has always pulled to the right, especially on a road with heavy "road crown". It's been to the dealer 3 times with no true fix. They said "it's within factory specifications." I have not heavily pursued a fix.

#2 - The 04.5 has the 325 HP / 600 ft. lb. High-Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) injected engine. The 04.5 was the 1st year (for non-California trucks) to have/use a catalytic converter. To keep the cat happy the engine utilizes three fuel injection events per power stroke. Since this engine utilizes a catalytic converter the fuel injection system employs a "3rd" fuel injection event to create the correct "atmosphere" in the exhaust gas flow that allows the catalyst to function properly and be healthy, many speculate this reduces MPG versus trucks without catalytic converters; I suspect so as well.

The "1st" injection event (pilot injection) essentially reduces combustion noise, the "2nd" injection (main injection) is the main power producing injection. The "3rd" injection event occurs "late" in the power stroke so it does not produce much power, its more for emissions purposes. I typically get (unloaded) 15 MPG in the winter and 17 MPG in the summer in Denver Colorado (5280 ft. elevation). I lost 1 MPG when I replaced the stock tires with Goodyear Wranglers (decent snow tire). Loaded MPG varies from 13 - 15 MPG (towing/hauling horse trailer and/or slide in 9.5' camper).

#3 - "Shudder on take-off." My truck (and many other 04.5's) have/had a condition termed "shudder on take-off." Essentially the truck has slight low frequency shudder when accelerating from a dead stop for a short distance, you may feel this symptom "in the seat of your pants" at take-off. This is due to rear driveshaft angle alignment issues. The dealer can correct this by shimming the rear driveshaft carrier bearing up or down to correct/adjust the driveshaft angles. My dealer was successful at curing this minor annoyance.

#4 - The rear axle is manufactured by American Axle Manufacturing (AAM) and has the 11.5" ring gear (i.e. referred to as the AAM 11.5). I ordered the truck with the "limited slip" device in the rear differential. This traction device is worthless. I have to use the parking brake to assist the traction device on slippery surfaces. This will be the case in all trucks equipped with the AAM 11.5 axle (virtually all 03 and up rams). Otherwise the AAM 11.5 is a tough, durable axle.

#5 - "Dial-a-Drive" I have the electronic shift transfer case (NP273). IT WORKS VERY WELL! This option makes up for the lame rear differential traction device. It is super-smooth and has never let me down. It shifts into/out of 4WD very fast and I can swap to/from 2-Hi/4-Hi in a snap on roads that have ever changing traction conditions, I would highly recommend this option if you can find it. Of course, you have to be stopped to shift from 4-Hi to 4-Low (as you would expect).

Otherwise I like the truck. The auto performs great, totally stock truck. Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:40 AM

... oh and another thing...

I bought my 04.5 when they very first came out. Many were complaining of poor MPG, shortly after Chrysler came out with a re-flash of the ECM to correct poor MPG and "white smoke at cold startup". I had the dealer re-flash mine because I thought I'd gain MPG. It didn't help, in fact I think it made it worse. Long story short look under the hood for any kind of sticker that has handwritten #'s on it indicating an ECM re-flash. Others reported better results. I'd say don't do it.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:21 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the '04 trucks are better than the '04.5 trucks for all the emission and mileage stuff mentioned above.

I love my limited slip. It's could be more aggressive sometimes but it does a good job while being mostly invisible. It's doing more than most people realize.

This thread should be merged with the same question you asked under "non drivetrain".

John
Old 12-30-2007, 12:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also remember that the 04.5's had the failure prone engine moun ted lift pump as standard, which when/if it failed was replaced witht eh in tank pump that is now standard on all the new ones.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 PM

Thanks to all. Good info to keep in mind.Happy New Year!