3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

03 Pyrometer Install

Old 10-21-2002, 11:19 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Pyrometer Install

I've had a few requests for this, so I'll toss down my experiences with the 03 pre-turbo pyro install. No pics though, as someone's made off with my digital camera :'(<br><br>Its actually real straight forward, but you'll need a smaller drill to get to the back two cylinders spot on the exhaust manifold. I used a small air drill I had here, as my cordless wouldn't fit (theres a canister and air conditioning lines in the way).<br><br>The hole fits in the same postion as it does on other installs, which is say 5/8's of an inch to the left of centre-line of the exhaust manifold, and about 1 inch up from the turbo mount flange. I removed the turbo mount nuts from the studs, and the turbo was able to drop down about 1/4&quot;, just enough to stuff a rag in there, to prevent any larger pieces from dropping into the exhaust housing.<br><br>With outside air temps hovering in the 32F area, I've found cruise EGTs at 600F, WOT EGTs didn't get past 1050. I haven't done any towing, but I'll probably solve that in the next week or so. Cool-down is a little interesting though. The EGTs don't seem to drop below 300F, and actually tend to hover around the 325 mark, even with 3 or 4 minutes of cool-down.<br><br>Rod
Old 10-21-2002, 01:55 PM

Re:03 Pyrometer Install

I am going to install one on my 2003 also, when it gets here <br><br>I have never had a Pyro guage before and have a couple of questions maybe you could answer.<br><br>1) What is more critical, Pre or Post turbo temperature?<br><br>2) And which ever it is, what is the max temperature you want it to get up to?
Old 10-21-2002, 02:33 PM

[quote author=Mopar_Mudder link=board=20;threadid=6110;start=0#55613 date=1035226514]<br>1) What is more critical, Pre or Post turbo temperature?<br><br>2) And which ever it is, what is the max temperature you want it to get up to?<br>[/quote]<br><br>1) Pre-turbo. Absolutely, totally, no doubt ;D A post-turbo install is too susceptible to a variety of factors (boost, outside air temp) to give you an accurate indication of your EGTs. Some people feel that post-turbo gives you better indication of whats going on inside the turbo, as you don't want to shut down much above 300F, however I personally just let my truck run a few seconds longer at 300F pre-turbo to allow the turbo a chance to cool off.<br><br>2) Cummins swears their engines will run all day long at 1350F pre-turbo, and I tend to buy that. So use this as a red-line. You can probably briefly spike above this mark without doing any damage (guys do it all the time), however I wouldn't run above 1350 for long (20-30 seconds).<br><br>Rod
Old 10-21-2002, 09:30 PM

Where are you guys mounting your guages? I saw a guy on the other board that mounted them in the cubby below the stereo, but that seems to be too difficult to monitor. Anyone heard about pods yet?
Old 10-21-2002, 10:33 PM

Apparently there should be something soon on the A-pillar side, and Scotty and I are working on a Rod's Pod for the 03, but its still in the concept stage. I fab'ed up a mount with PVC, and velcro'ed it to the dash for the time being.<br><br>&lt;ugh&gt; looks ugly, but that cubby hole is too far away for casual gauge checks.<br><br>Another thing that may work are IssPro individual gauge cups hanging down from the lip of the dash. I'll be doing this myself until we get a Pod going, as I'm tired of A-pillar mounts...<br><br>Rod
Old 10-22-2002, 03:41 AM

My accessory shop is going to install a B&amp;D three-guage unit for me. It has three readings, pyro, boost, and trans. temp. It is a single unit that mounts on the left side of hte dash by the &quot;A&quot; pillar. They had some initial problems with it and B&amp;D have recalled all of them, expect everything to be straightened out in another month or so. Pretty pricy, but a good looking instal. JFYI
Old 10-22-2002, 10:04 PM

I'm pretty tired of A-pillar mounts myself. Be sure to post whatever you guys come up with, and keep us in the loop on the &quot;Rod Pod&quot;