3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions Wanted

Hello, I am new to this site, and I was hoping to get some opinions on my truck. I recently purchased my 2006 Dodge Ram 2500, Mega-Cab, 4X4, 5.9L diesel, about 3 months ago. Since I have had the truck, I have already put around $1,500.00 in repairs to it. Now I need a new transmission. I am wondering if I should get this transmission rebuilt, and then get rid of the truck as soon as possible. Or should I spend the extra money and upgrade to a heavy-duty transmission, and keep the truck. My only concern with the second option is, “What is next?” What is the next thing to go wrong? What else do I need to watch for? So far this has become a very expensive truck. Anyway, I am looking for some input. Thank you for your time.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A little more info on the truck such as mileage, and after market equipment if any would be helpful. Please fill out your signature. Whats been replaced?
Do you know what the truck did before you got it ?

Whats the tranny doing?

Dave
Old 10-11-2010, 03:48 PM

First off, you have a very desirable truck with it being a mega 5.9. What was the $1500 repairs for.

Second, I've learned from my truck that nothing is cheap on these things. I too had to correct some minor issues(not to the tune of $1500) that I was able to do myself and there is still more money to be spent to make my truck more reliable and efficient.

Third, go with your gut. If its saying sell then sell.

Really and truly you haven't posted enough information to solicit a well thought opinion. I think you might be discouraged by relatively large unplanned expenses and its never good when a trany gives up whether it happens with after other sizable repairs, or by itself.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:18 PM

who was the origanal owner someone who hot rodded the truck before of an old guy who just let it sit. when i bought my cummins i looked hard to find one not abused
Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 AM

Sorry, I didn't even think of putting that information on with my first post. It has 60,000 miles on the truck right now. It is just getting broke in. The first repair was for the A/C compressor. Later on I found out the whoever had the truck before I did, put batteries in it that were to small for the truck, and the tires are undersized for the truck as well. I do not know who had the truck before I did. I purchased it from a dealer, and they will not help me out with these issues. I love the truck, I was just not ready to put this much money into repairs and fixes in the first 3 months. Thank you for your time.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 AM

thats a goo truck you got,that engine will most likely hold up to any thing ,i would get the tranny rebuilt,but get it built,not just rebuilt,then enjoy your truck,i own a 07,megacab with the 6.7 in it and wish i had a 06,at times
Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 AM

What do plan on doing with the truck? Towing, off roading, daily driver, work truck or what? That is the question that's needs to be answered. Is it lifted, stock or what? This also needs answering. Now as far as the tranny goes, if yo are going to tow then get it either Rebuit(upgraded) or have it replaced with a drop in upgraded tranny, BD(Performance Diesel) or ATS. If it's only a daily driver and not lifted or chipped then rebuild with mild upgrades are OK. You are still looking at around $3K minimum anyway. I say Billet Tourqe converter, billet input shaft, new flex plate, new electronics, new valve body are a must, but then again I tow and tow heavy.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:24 AM

I currently do not have any upgrades on it right now. I was looking into the BD transmission, and down the road would want to do a lift. I also want to put a programmer on. I do not do a lot of heavy towing, I have a boat and I haul trailers up to my hunting property. My off roading is not extreme, just through the woods at the property.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 AM

It's been my experience that these Dodges are expensive trucks to own and operate, figure on your $1500 pot starter annually and if you somehow scrape by and don't spend that money one year don't get all giddy and spend it because you'll need it the next year.

Don't get the wrong idea, in some ways I love my 3500, but the maintenance and repairs on it remind me of an old Harley. It's also no worse than any of the Chevies many of my friends drive.

Gettin' ready to go replace upper and lower ball joints and front axle u-joints again, maybe another wheel hub assembly. Tie rods were already replaced at under 36k and are getting fairly loose again, brakes every spring...usually because there is another frozen caliper or two, stainless exhaust literally fell off at 63k miles, took my truck to the dealer last week because my oil pan was leaking(rusted through), replaced under Cummins warranty but it was nearly a thousand dollar job(cost me downtime and a hundred out of pocket) and while I was there he informed me that all of my u-joints and CV joint are in need of replacement, some for the second time. Driver's side door will not unlock with remote due to failed lock solenoid, Seat belt chime won't shut off, fan motor rumbles on high speed, A/C has been recharged but apparently the seals leak, the rear hubs needs new seals on both sides, just found out that my cab lights apparently leak, and the door seals are trashed yet again! These are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. Thank God that nothing major has failed on this truck!

BTW.....99,400 miles on the clock and I grease(what little is greasable) and lube religiously. Not lifted, bombed, wheeled, or abused.......just used.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:45 PM

I would think the batteries and tires could be chalked up to the previous owner putting in the wrong things. not really repairs or failure, just trying to make it right. Transmission failure is a major concern and certainly would be unexpected.

My truck has 75000 and I bought it new. No big issues so far. All of the transmission talk scares me, but if it fails I am pretty sure I will rebuild it and keep the truck. If I can get another hundred thousand out of it I think that is all the need I will have for a heavy truck. I do change the fluid and get the bands adjusted every 30,000. Scary thing is how much "better" it feels right after that service. Even though I have a light tow, I pull in tow/haul all of the time to try to help the transmission. Maybe your previous owner just ran the light service schedule and did not do that?

If you need a heavy duty truck, then not much alternative to doing the expensive repairs. If you do not need a heavy truck, then it is big, expensive hobby. Sell it and buy a F150. At 75000 miles I have probably spent $9000 less on fuel with the diesel than I would have with a 2500 gas, and it sure pulls nice. On the other hand, I have had more $90 oil changes than I care to count up. The transmissions on the gas truck are just as bad, I suspect, as the ones on the diesel, if you tow with them.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by offshorefisher
I currently do not have any upgrades on it right now. I was looking into the BD transmission, and down the road would want to do a lift. I also want to put a programmer on. I do not do a lot of heavy towing, I have a boat and I haul trailers up to my hunting property. My off roading is not extreme, just through the woods at the property.
You're probably truly better off with a 1/2 ton gasser for what you are describing if the operating costs are a real consideration but I'm not saying that you shouldn't have a heavy diesel pickup if that's what you want, just that the smaller truck will be cheaper overall to operate and own.

I'm not trying to start an argument with anyone but the economy of operating a diesel versus a gasser went right out the window with the price of diesel now being significantly higher than gasoline and the reduced fuel economy of the pollution controlled diesel trucks. The delta in fuel economy has shrunk considerably in equal trucks, say 3/4 tons, one with gas, one diesel. Compare your unladen or lightly loaded diesel fuel economy to that of a modern 1/2 ton with auto and overdrive and you'll be disappointed. Factor in the higher regular maintenance costs(oil changes, filters), increased suspension, tire, and brake costs of the heavier truck and you'll see. Still.....nothing beats that diesel when your towing or hauling heavy.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Chapter President

I went through the same issues buying my most recent truck. Did I really need another diesel truck?? Especially already owning 2 of them that had their share of issues. If you are doing mostly around town stuff and light short distance towing, then in all reality a half-ton is going to fit the bill, and it is definately cheaper. With that being said, despite the higher operating costs, the longevity that you get with the diesel can't be beat, and if you consider the operating costs over the course of say 300,000-500,000 miles, a gasser can't touch it. There are enough aftermarket ball joints, u-joints, brakes, etc that will make these trucks bulletproof. For me I tow just heavy enough, far enough and often enough that a diesel was justified. Take a good look at what your real needs are and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:57 PM

Thank you for all of your opinions. I have sold the Dodge and have gotten a Ford. We will see how things turn out. Thank you for input.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by offshorefisher
have gotten a ford. We will see how things turn out. Thank you for input.
lol
Old 10-15-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well there ya go, he`s gone over to the dark side.