3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No Throttle Reponse In Cold Temperatures...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No Throttle Response In Cold Temperatures...

Recently started my truck (fired right up as usual) but after shifting into drive there was absolutely no throttle response...even when pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor. Shifted back to park and tried pushing the accelerator to the floor and again no throttle response

Here are the following symptoms so far....

1) Check engine light tripped w/code P0700 at same time the "NO" throttle issue appeared.

2) Recently outside temps climbed into the 50's and the throttle response returned to normal, the check engine light shut off & the truck ran perfectly fine.

3) Now outside temps are back below freezing again (in the teens) and the "NO" throttle response issue has returned and the check engine light is back on.

4) When viewing the throttle position percentage parameter on my Quadzilla Adrenaline iQuad... it reports 100% throttle regardless of which position the gear selector is shifted to. (Normally this parameter reads "0" when the trucks in Park).

Any thoughts would be appreciated - Thanks!
Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the APPS is Tango Uniform. Could be a hard failure or just a connection issue brought on by the cold.

Might try pulling the connector, cleaning with electrical contact cleaner, and using dieletric grease on reassembly.

P0700 is a transmission control assembly error. Could be just a companion or the root cuase. You would need a scanner capable of reading the PCM to get exactly what the root casue is.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:37 PM

No Throttle Response In Cold Temperatures...

Anyone have a general idea where the "APPS" is located on an '03... my shop manuals sitting in storage since I'm right smack in the middle of a move. In the meantime I'll try searching "APPS" in '03 3rd gen drivetrains.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

Upper front left hand side of engine directly in front of the intake horn. Black plastic cover that contains the bell crank assembly and the APPS.

This is what the APPS looks like Name:  APPS-1.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  10.6 KB
Old 01-20-2012, 08:36 PM

Another interesting piece to the puzzle...

1) After plugging the truck in overnight (12hrs) the throttle is working perfect again
Old 01-21-2012, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd bet it was a connector issue. Did you try the above suggestion regarding the connector?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Banned

Possible ECU problem if the APPS and/or connector is not the problem. I would put a Timbo APPS on and go from there.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:17 PM

Update/New Symptom......

I do plan on inspecting/cleaning apps connection asap. (Haven't had a chance yet to tear into the six bolts on the apps bracket to get at the apps/pedal pos sensor...wonder if this is the reason the APPS was relocated on the 04.5's?). My fingers are crossed it's gonna be as easy as a bad harness connection... not looking forward to dropping $199+ for a new apps. Anyone know of someone parting out a 98-04 5.9L Ram 2500???

New Symptoms: (after unplugging the block heater & go'n for a spin)

1) Pedal went "dead" twice in traffic then returned to normal

2) Throttle jumped twice & truck took off like a bat-out-of-hell then throttled back to normal (my foot was nowhere near the accl pedal). I sure as hell hope there's a safety built into the system to ensure our trucks wont rocket out of control WOT when there's an APPS issue!?
Old 01-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Banned

The 04.5 trucks have it in the same position, on the engine. The 05+ trucks have it relocated to inside of firewall.

Here is the best buy on the APPS, if that is the issue. http://www.dodgecumminsapps.com/index.html

Have you checked for codes? An APPS problem will almost always throw codes.

Next is checking your batteries and cross over cable for continuity. If you have a low battery or a weak battery or a bad cable there are many isolated random eletrical glitches that can appear.

Next is checking trans control harness for any scuffed, pinched or bare wires. Do the same on the passenger side of the vehicle paying close attention to the AC clutch wire as it runs down and into the main harness.

Are you seeing any differences in the way the truck accelerates or sitting at a stop light? The P1740 is a catch-all code that says DTC's are stored in the PCM. You need to get them pulled first and see what it is saying. You could have a bad harness on the solenoid that is thrwoing the glitches into the system.

The 03's have a TSB for bad connections at the ECU A & B connectors, have you had that done or checked for possible corrosion?

The same symptoms cna be caused by sticking injectors and\or fueing boxes in random conditions. Have you checked injectors and removed any fueling boxes?

Last but not least, if evrything else checks out and the problem IS temp related you might be looking at a new ECU.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM

Great info thanks!!!

Only code the "key trick x 3" shows is P0700. When I tear into the apps I'll check the other possible issues as well. (ECU's located in engine compartment/passenger-side/firewall correct(?) Also, I'm sure the timbo apps is a quality item and there may even be one in my imediate future... I'm more from the school of thought (whenever possible) I'd rather "throw" an inexpensive used part at a problem before throwing an expensive new part at a problem just in case the oem apps isnt the smoking gun.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Banned

ECU is no the engine, drivers side under the intake horn. PCM is on the firewall passenger side.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 PM

update...

Finally got around to pulling the apps sensor... connection looked very clean, sprayed it with electrical cleaner just in case. Bolted the old apps back on and now there's ZERO pedal where as before I had ocasional throttle with some high surging on the open road when outside temps are above freezing or the trucks been plugged in.

I did notice the passenger side battery is no longer showing a "green-eye". The battery looks to be oem original from 2003(?) Will try a new battery and see if this apps issue clears up...
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM

Update...

Finally got around to replacing the stock TPS with a new DURALAST TPS and all is back to normal !!!