3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ac compressor not cycling on/off ice buildup

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by verdesardog
None of those things will cause the compressor to run non stop, it seems like everyone is ignoring the facts and findings of trouble shooting......of course the evap will freeze up if the compressor never stops pumping refrigerant.

Find out what is keeping the clutch engaged with no call for AC.
I was not trying to steal the thread or confuse anyone I simply said that I had a similar problem but that if i switched of the ac the compressor would disengage. PWong recognised this and tried to help me. You (verdesardog) did not catch that. Like Gypsie I can't tie my truck up right now but I have some things to check on the week end. Also up here in Alberta we are getting temps in the low 70s so it is not as critical right now to have AC.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ac compressor fix??

Originally Posted by verdesardog
Come on guys, focus. OP said compressor keeps running with AC turned off. It doesn't run with the fuse pulled. Low refrigerant will not make it run constantly, that will make it not run at all if everything is working correctly.

There is obviously a short from battery voltage to the clutch coil wiring somewhere. A schematic and someone that knows how to trouble shoot is needed at this point. Any further comments on this subject is purely conjecture.....
Ok, so my guy from the truck shop was here yesterday as I've 2 (yeh count em baby TWO days of down time finally)
He did what you suggested and said that it does stop running. Plugged it in , then I got teased to death because IT SEEMS TO WORK FINE NOW. He asks,why were you saying it wasn't shutting off when climate button was off? Go look, I'm told. So I go look, sure enough he pushes the button it disengaged. I made him do it several times, as it was NOT turning off prior to then.. Drove on interstate and city traffic for 30 minutes, no ice buildup when I parked. Later drove 30 miles , again no issues. When you hit button now it does shut off, I had no loss of air flow while using it, and no frosted air coming out. I'll see what happens when I've driven an hour or more.
I thank you for your very sensible approach. I've got a transmission issue that I'm going to post a new thread for, hopefully see you there
Gypsy,
Much cooler now