2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Where to find truck beds, and how much?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Where to find truck beds, and how much?

Have a 96 w3500 ctd 2wd dually with a steel flatbed. Was wondering if anyone knew of any places to get a dually truck bed, and about how much they run. I'm in the south central part of Texas (Helotes) but have no problems goin to San Antonio, Austin, San Marcos, etc... Any help would be greatly appriciated! Thanks.

Oh, and about how hard is it removeing and replacing the truck bed? Do-able by yourself with a couple buds, or is it more of a take it to the bodyshop type thing?
Old 07-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

go drive out into the sticks wherever they sell flatbeds, and you'll see take-off beds littering the front of their property...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:57 PM

If you're up for a drive, I know where there is a silver dually bed from a 97!!

Chris
Old 07-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

They are all over central OK, most are $500 to $1000 or more. My neighbor has a silver '01 bed in his barn if you want to come to Mulhall, OK.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:48 PM

Hmm, yall have given me much to think about...

What range of years have the same body style? I know my 96 is the 2nd gen body style (or so i was told), but what years could I take it off from and all the ducks be in line if you know what i mean? Still wondering about the difficulty of replacing it myself too, if yall happen to know...

How heavy are the beds? Heavier than my ranch hand (350lbs)? Cause I installed that myself with no help, without too much difficulty.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 PM

I have a 97' dually bed with headache rack and side rails in very good condition for $500. It's been stored in a shed since 99. If you're interested, I'm in Victoria, not that far from you. I sent you a private message on how to get in touch with me. The beds are pretty heavy. It'll probably take 3 or 4 people to set it on the frame. Usually when they put a flatbed on a dually pickup they incorporate the front mounts from the bed and add something at the back, so the existing mounts should be there. If your truck was originally a pickup, everything should be fine, but if it was a cab and chassis, something would have to be modified because cab and chassis never came with a factory dually bed.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:32 PM

Well, thank yall much for the information folks. Like I was just tellin Mike, I just got off the phone with a place in San Antonio called Drive-In Truck Salvage, and the guy who own the place (at lease I think he does) has a 96 dually bed, and is actually looking for a flatbed. Once I get back to Texas I'll be seein if he'll swap it with me. But I'll post back with whatever happens, and probably be askin for help for the installation of the bed if I caint figure it out myself
Old 07-12-2006, 05:54 PM

Try this place. http://dundeeauto.com/index.html
Old 07-12-2006, 06:06 PM

Hmm, place looks good, but they're in Ohio lol... Little far from my parts (central texas)
Old 07-12-2006, 06:54 PM

If that's a white dooley bed in Victoria, mine's needing serious upgrading.......

The cab and chassis - noted by a straight front axle, dual trailing links like the 4wd chassis - will require some additional work to install a pickup bed, and the dimension between the rear wheels may cause interference with the inner fender wells.

If yours is independent front susp, with double a-arms, it should be direct swapout, if they didnt weld the spacer\gussets to the upper frame rails.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:27 PM

The bed in Victoria is black and I really need to get rid of it
Old 07-12-2006, 09:31 PM

Yeah, solid front axel, but it's 2x4. Think I have some pictures somewhere on this laptop, let me root around, post em when I find em.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 PM

You'll just need to checkout along the top of the upper frame rails, where the flat-bed rails are attached - see if it's just bolted, or welded.

Also, measure between the sidewalls of two inner tires, see if enough clearance for the inner fenders of the pickup bed.

I spliced the frame on my pickup to eliminate the double a-arm and used the straight axle setup to get the 5" greater heighth of the cab\chassis unit.

I'm considering the bed, Mike, might not be too difficult to slap a couple coats Dodge white paint on it - inside will be black, anyway, with the rubber liner sprayed in.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 PM

Eh could only find an old picture of it when I first got her. Have only done some minor cosmetics to her yet (painted the flatbed, replaced flatbed siding, new tires [BFG/MT 33"], new mags, remove step-ups, frontend replacement...) and haven't done any preformance mods (lookin for information on that. lookin for easy beginner mods)

Anyhoo, here's the pic:

(yeah, I like plannin out what I want to do lol)
Old 07-15-2006, 10:51 PM

Well... I was just wondering if anyone knew of a flatbed place in the greater San Antonio area (S.A., Helotes, Leon Valley, Spring Branch, Schertz, Cibilo, Selma, etc.) or even around New Braunfels?

Cause I'd be as happy as a pup chewin on a tbone to see a lovely dually bed sittin in my garage for me when I get back from Colorado... And seeing as how my buddy has a spare key to my truck, I'm sure him and a few friends wouldn't mind takin my truck to go see if any of those shops happened to leave a bed that'd fit lying around.

Yall think that a dually bed would fit on my flatbed (pictured above)? Cause I aint too sure of the actual length and width of a longbed (and my bed is only 6x10, but the sides can be taken off if the outter wheel covers stick out too much)...

Quick Reply: Where to find truck beds, and how much?