2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

What's This Spring?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
What's This Spring?!

I pulled up off the highway this afternoon. Came to the intersection. Stopped then drove forward. About 1/2way through the intersection I heard something bang into my truck body from below. When I turned to look out the window I see this spring bouncing on the road along side me. I pulled over and picked it up. I don't think it came off the truck (rather I think I ran over it), but I'm not quite sure . No difference in how the truck handles, and continued to drive another 10 mins or so until home. It's dark now so I have not given underneath a good looking over yet.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails What's This Spring?!-spring.jpg   What's This Spring?!-spring2.jpg  
Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It looks like a "return" spring for a linkage/lever of some sorts. The only problem is springs like that usually have the shaft that the lever is attached to go through the center of the spring making them "captive". So, for it to fall off requires the linkage/lever to fall off too. There are other ways for them to be attached/used, but, I've only ever seem them "captive." That ones pretty big, which makes me wonder if it's off a transmission. Good luck and I hope it's not off your truck.
Old 03-14-2009, 12:17 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
That is the spring for a belt tensioner assembly. could be off your truck, but sounds like you may have run over it.

Pop the hood and check your tensioner, if it isn't yours, it isn't your problem. When an automatic tensioner fails, they can puke the spring out like that, when the " housing " fails.

Cool huh
Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by pind
That is the spring for a belt tensioner assembly. could be off your truck, but sounds like you may have run over it.

Pop the hood and check your tensioner, if it isn't yours, it isn't your problem. When an automatic tensioner fails, they can puke the spring out like that, when the " housing " fails.

Cool huh
Hummm..belt tensioner, huh. THANKS for the identification. Going out to check soon; But if it popped off my truck, wouldn't I hear additional noises (like loose belt flapping)? I drove another 7miles (10 mins) and didn't notice anything else. If it was a tensioner, where specifically should I look--near altenator? fan? ?? Will repost if I find anything (or anything missing)
Old 03-14-2009, 10:46 AM

The spring would be mostly hidden under the idler pulley of the tensioner , so the pulley would be missing belt would be off , and everything driven by belt would not be working , water-pump = over heating , alt. , AC .
Old 03-14-2009, 02:23 PM

Looks in too good of condition to be off of your 01, JMO. Not unless you have a very clean engine/engine bay LOL.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks yall. Looked over everything I can think of. Belt is still tight (replaced about 2mos ago with gator-belt; doesn't "chirp" when I turn it off now). Tensioner wheel is still there. Heating/cooling work same same. Sorry for the other guy who must'a lost it. Thanks again yall!
-d