2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

what group battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what group battery

Went to Sam's Club to get new batteries and ole boy genius in the tire and battery dept said after looking it up that it takes a group 24 battery - me being the trusting kind said ok load 'em up. So he throws two group 24 batts in the cart and off I go. Then yesterday I popped the hood to installed them, after getting both bats out I grab a new one then to my shock I find that the bats he sold me were only 575 CCA and a might bit too short to even fit in the stock battery trays. So I reinstall the old ones, then toss the new ones back in the bed, stopped by Sam's today to return them, that went well they took them back no questions asked. Then I go back to the batt section to do my OWN look up, well it seems that they call for a group 34 not 24 but still that battery group is too short on the length and has a foot note that calls for a spacer to be added.

Now here is my thinking... I have two MOPAR batteries installed as of the moment that need no spacer and I like this big foot print battery - gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling, small foot print battery says to me "your butt's gonna be dragging out the charger when it really gets cold".

She currently has installed two 900CCA batts, and in my diesel pickup experiences over the years says I need batts of this size to effectively start when the temps drop but I like looking at a large foot print battery (size does matter and I want big un's) - I want to keep the warm and fuzzy feeling.

So my question is "What group battery is supposed to be sitting there and what size will fill up the battery tray completely like my Mopar batts"?

I did not see a group rating on the ones I currently have installed or I would not be asking this question.

I thought about getting some optima batts but realistically I won't own this truck long enough to get a good return on them (plan on updating in a couple/three years as this truck currently has 182k on the clock) so I'm thinking inexpensive is the way to go and let the next guy worry about getting long lasting batts.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:05 AM

I wouldn't worry about fill the battery tray up, the cranking amps is what counts. I just don't buy batterys out of Wal Mart, they don't last. I have a gas truck that went though a Everstart battery every 2 1/2 years. If your selling the truck in 2 or 3 years, go to Autozone. Just measure the batterys that are in it. Then get the 1 that will fit with the right cranking amps.

It seams the newer the battery the smaller they make them.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:04 AM

I know what your saying about size...

I've got a house that is completely solar powered. It runs on 8 - 6V Batteries wieghing about 1,100 Lbs. The cold crank rating on the full battery bank is 675 CCA @ 24V! But it's huge!

Yes I've seen a lot of the new batts having a plastic spacer on the bottom to fill the void...

It more or less the quality fator. If you buy cheap it not going to last...
Old 12-30-2004, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Travis,

I would go to sears and buy the Duralast gold batteries, i bought two of those with 850 CCA's and they seemed to start my old truck really well, my current ride has some nascar batteries on it, they look rinky dink they dont have an amp rating on them, but im sure they are at least 750 to start that 12V, it fires up like a matchstick QUICK... for a couple of hundred bucks you cant go wrong, Now as far as the size goes, big uns should be the least of you concern, even the ones my ram have dont fit in the battery tray, i hold them down with tiedowns, quick mexican rig.. Its the hispanic in me, the cowboy in me would tie them down with bailin wire and pliers.. lol!! Ahyhoos, for a couple of years, autozone batteries should do fine, and hit you less hard..

TxDiesel007
Old 12-30-2004, 11:38 AM

Re: what group battery

Originally posted by argve
So my question is "What group battery is supposed to be sitting there and what size will fill up the battery tray completely like my Mopar batts"?

I did not see a group rating on the ones I currently have installed or I would not be asking this question.
Group 27 Modest CA and CCA, but 130 min RC or reserve capacity
You need the RC for the grid heaters or an Espar.
I got a set of group 27 from Sears for around $120. The dang books for most replacement batteries give the V-10 which is a group 34 with Big CCA, but little RC.

A spacer under the battery will screw up the temperature sensor. It is in the bottom of the driver side tray.
As the temps cool, the PCM increases voltage in the charging circuit.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:47 AM

you want to run a group 27 thats what the truck came with. I ran smaller sized high rated batteries one time what a waste of money I have switched back to the 27's truck is much happier! A group 31 is to big won't fit in the holders
Old 12-30-2004, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by INJECTOR JACK
A group 31 is to big won't fit in the holders
Battery Trays can be modified/replaced

Im contemplating Red top Optimas....cheapest I can find is Walmart @ $160 (Canadian) each....thats a fair bit of cash for batteries. The other option Ive been looking at is the Exide Commercial batteries
Old 12-31-2004, 12:23 AM

I installed an Optima in the mommy van this summer. Got one on sale so the price was comparable to any premium battery. I have been happy as the nuisance corrosion stopped.
I was going to put a pair in the pickup, but the listed RC of 110 minutes scared me off. I run an Espar for up to 2 hours in cold weather and 110 minutes is not enough.
Exide commercial batteries are OK. IMHO, the passenger batteries are average quality.

My next go for batteries will be group 31s. I would really like to mount them in the bed.

Got a Costco close by? They have reasonable prices on Optimas in the states. Never price them in Canada.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by Fueling around
I installed an Optima in the mommy van this summer. Got one on sale so the price was comparable to any premium battery. I have been happy as the nuisance corrosion stopped.
I was going to put a pair in the pickup, but the listed RC of 110 minutes scared me off. I run an Espar for up to 2 hours in cold weather and 110 minutes is not enough.
Exide commercial batteries are OK. IMHO, the passenger batteries are average quality.

My next go for batteries will be group 31s. I would really like to mount them in the bed.

Got a Costco close by? They have reasonable prices on Optimas in the states. Never price them in Canada.
Thats a good point - thanks for mentioning that - I run an ESPAR too and hadnt thought about the reserve capacity.

So what do you recommend for a brand?? Sears doesnt carry batteries here anymore.....was looking at the Champion Sub Zero:

http://www.exide.com/products/automo...n_subzero.html
Old 12-31-2004, 01:23 AM

Most group 27's are still classified automotive range of batteries.
Exide finally fixed their selection chart and do list a 27 for the Dodge pickup. It used to point to group 34 and I got a set 3 years ago. They did not hold up to the Espar with only 100 min RC. (I got them before the Espar and they were fine.)
The Exide 27 is only around 120 min RC. The stock Dodge battery is 130 or 140 min RC. Well, I can get 2 batteries for the price of a dealer replacement.

Exide does private label for John Deere. These are all commercial batteries. John Deere used to be very fussy on their batteries back in the 60's and 70's and sourced from Gould which were top of the line. Gould no longer makes automotive batteries AFAIK.

A group 31 is only slight longer than a 27 and offers much more reserve. Often they are less expensive. I am drooling over the Optima blue top 31 we are putting in a contract. They are ideal for a Cummins. The Optima like more voltage on alternator charging and my truck cranks out around 15.5-16 volts in cold weather.

My Sears (Johnson Controls) batteries are holding up well. The only thing i dislike aout a JCI battery is they recharge slower than other batteries.

OK, you asked for the time and I told you how to build a watch. Sorry, my way of things.

-John
Old 12-31-2004, 07:21 AM

thanks John....!
Old 12-31-2004, 11:05 AM

The optima batteries are more money but they are well worth the extra money and they last much longer than regular batteries. I put one in Momma's Wrangler and have never touched it since. They will be going into my 02 when the o/e bite the dust.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
last year I replaced mine and looked at many. I ended up just picking a set up from Costco for these reasons.
1: 24 month free replacement & balance of 84 month pro- rated
2: CCA 875/ CA @ 0c 1000
3: Costcos are easy to find and stand behind their products
4: Can $75 each ( I think they had a $7 dollor off deal at the time) so both batts with taxes and enviro fees was $170somthing. They were Kirkland labeled so who knows who makes them but I dont care as they were like 2 for 1 of the others I looked at.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by scook6
The optima batteries are more money but they are well worth the extra money and they last much longer than regular batteries. I put one in Momma's Wrangler and have never touched it since. They will be going into my 02 when the o/e bite the dust.
A wrangler and a Cummins are two very different animals. I agree the optimas are great batteries....but for $350 they should have a lot more reserve capacity.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:16 PM

What's the reserve cap on the blue tops?

Quick Reply: what group battery