2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Weird problem with factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Weird problem with factory radio

Howdy y'all,

I have an odd problem with my radio. It's the stock (Infinity i believe) premium radio with CD player and has 6 speakers. When I try to play a burned CD from my home computer, the CD player will barely play it. What I mean is it will take a while to find the track on the CD. I can hear the laser head hunting for where a song starts. I had a pioneer head unit in my old truck that had no problem with burned CD's. My wifes Honda has no problem with the burned CD's. Is there anything I can do to cure this problem? It will play a regular store bought CD with no problem, it's just the burned ones.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Here is the TSB that deals with the trouble.
Recordable Compact Discs Used in Automotive CD players
Old 02-22-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mine only has problems with CD-RW.
Burned CD-R's play just fine.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
According to that TSB I am stuck with it. Oh well. Thanks for that link Shovelhead.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
According to that TSB I am stuck with it. Oh well. Thanks for that link Shovelhead.
Not necessarily. Try a different brand of CD-R. I've had good luck with Imations playing in almost everything, while some other brands have been pretty iffy.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Imation's give me the same error code. I tried 2-3 other manufacturers but alas, all to no avail. Guess I will have to stick to store bought artist recordings. I guess at least they will get their .02 cents worth every time I purchase one their CD's. I just hate having to listen to all of the crappy songs in between the ones I want to hear.

Gary
Old 02-23-2004, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are two sizes of cd's. The store bought are I think 640 and the burned disks usually are quite a bit more. You have the option to burn them at the standard size. My Alpine plays either but some units will only use the standard format. Try burning one at the smaller size, it should cure the problem.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:24 PM
DPG

If I remember correctly, the CD players in these units have problem with certain colors used on the business side of the burned CD's. If you are using CD's with blue on the burned side, try some silver. I had the same problem early on, and I think that what I did to solve the problem. Also, make sure that you are using "music" CD's and not "data" CD's, that can make a difference, also.

DeWain
Old 02-23-2004, 06:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't know if this will help but, after I burn a disk my program will ask me if I want to "format" the disk ,if you don't it may not play in "some" devices.
I hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:39 PM

My girlfriends stock cd player wont even play regular cd's, much less burned ones . She gripped about it enough that I had to get her a new Kenwood head unit . Is there a way to get it to play cds period? I got a couple other vehicles that could use cd players if I could get it to work.
Scott
Old 02-23-2004, 06:40 PM
Banned

I use Memorex CD's and they play in all of our radios. Factory or other wise. They are green on the back side with a white label on the front.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Before you sink money into a CD player consider going with an mp3 player instead.
I bought a just released Dell DJ, their version of iPod, for under $200. Add a FM modulator so the DJ transmits to the radio for $25 and you're set with a pack of cigs sized player that holds 2500 digital quality cuts.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by infidel
Before you sink money into a CD player consider going with an mp3 player instead.
I bought a just released Dell DJ, their version of iPod, for under $200. Add a FM modulator so the DJ transmits to the radio for $25 and you're set with a pack of cigs sized player that holds 2500 digital quality cuts.
Hmmm... I was thinking about getting a new head unit that could do MP3s. I could get a butt load of tunes onto one CD that way. But heck, your idea sound like it might work even better, except I'll still have this old head unit....
The hold-up on this is I don't want to give up my steering wheel radio controls.

I have used Imation, with the silver/goldish colored bottom, and the Verbatim, with green bottom, I think. The Verbetim skips more, but I think it is just disk scratches.

Chris
Old 02-24-2004, 04:28 PM

I use memorex cd-r 700mb 16x to burn my music on and play it in my stk infinity radio. works fine.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:57 PM
Banned

i don't know if this will help but i use free after rebate discs, a busslink drive and nero software. i have never burned a disc that would not work. good luck

Quick Reply: Weird problem with factory radio