2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Truck pulls STEADY HARD TO THE RIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck pulls STEADY HARD TO THE RIGHT

O.K. guys, I have searched many threads on this subject. There is a ton of information out there. I thank you for the information gained. And like many have said, "what fixed my issue, may not fix someone elses steering issues".
My conclusion is, the truck is unsafe to drive until I replace some componets.
Having said that, I think I will order a Luke's Link Kit for starters. (Lest expensive fix, Vs new track bar.)
Most likely will need to replace ball joint or joints. As well as a alignment.
I have not had any sign of death wobble, just a slight increase in right hand pull. (This has taken place over 30K miles). I need to input about 45 degrees left steering wheel input to track straight I will admit that the old girl could use a lub. job.
Will keep u posted as componets are replaced.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 PM

I just "almost" finished one here.
It walked around a bit and I decided to tinker with it.
Got rid of the "Y" steering and installed a "T" steering.
While I had all the parts off, I Lukes Linked ALL the ends, and replaced the ball joints.
I stopped short of the deal that supports the steering sector shaft.
Had it aligned at the best "old know how" shop in town.
He said he'd cured several of these trucks with that sector shaft support, and suggested I get one.
Said the difference would be night/day.

So.....I get to buy more stuff.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Never rule out a bad tire either, had one on my old Dakota that went bad over a few thousand miles slowly, kept putting it off untill I got new tires and it went away.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
rotate your tires, and see what happens.

Just go with me on this one
Old 03-18-2013, 10:24 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Yep, my guess is for the tires too, with a pull that severe. Try swapping the front tires from one side to the other, I bet it'll pull bad the other direction.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by torquefan
Yep, my guess is for the tires too, with a pull that severe. Try swapping the front tires from one side to the other, I bet it'll pull bad the other direction.
I fought this problem for years..Swapped tires that didn't help...Once I destroyed the front end with a different steering box,new tires and a t-steering , chopped front end and custom alignment...I finally solved my pulling to the right...
Old 03-19-2013, 12:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
funny, what solved the hard pull to the right on mine, was simply doing a proper 4 wheel tire rotation. So, I did some experimenting. What I found is that when the rears get worn past a certain point, the truck starts to pull. Rotate the tires, pull goes away. For some reason, none of my ford or chevy trucks ever did that, but the dodge always did. Just something to think about.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by hhrumph
O.K. guys, I have searched many threads on this subject. There is a ton of information out there. I thank you for the information gained. And like many have said, "what fixed my issue, may not fix someone elses steering issues".
My conclusion is, the truck is unsafe to drive until I replace some componets.
Having said that, I think I will order a Luke's Link Kit for starters. (Lest expensive fix, Vs new track bar.)
Most likely will need to replace ball joint or joints. As well as a alignment.
I have not had any sign of death wobble, just a slight increase in right hand pull. (This has taken place over 30K miles). I need to input about 45 degrees left steering wheel input to track straight I will admit that the old girl could use a lub. job.
Will keep u posted as componets are replaced.
26 mpg stock? Regardless of how it steers,keep it.
Toyo MT's generally induce a right pull.
Our '98 Accord averaged 27 mpg.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
I fought this problem for years..Swapped tires that didn't help...Once I destroyed the front end with a different steering box,new tires and a t-steering , chopped front end and custom alignment...I finally solved my pulling to the right...
Yep, good point, there's always exceptions. Working at the dealer years ago I found that tire issues were the number one cause of steering pulls on these trucks. Saw it with almost every brand of tire, except Michelin. I believe the next most common cause was a thrust angle on the rear axle. I sure know how frustrating it is trying to solve a stubborn one though.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 AM

Yep, good point, there's always exceptions. Working at the dealer years ago I found that tire issues were the number one cause of steering pulls on these trucks. Saw it with almost every brand of tire, except Michelin. I believe the next most common cause was a thrust angle on the rear axle. I sure know how frustrating it is trying to solve a stubborn one though.
Thanks Guys. I will try rotating the tires first before I do anything else. Will do as soon as the weather warms up and I just found out that my floor jack will not extend up 100%. Will need to get that repaired first. (Only used 6-8 times in three years.) Luck of the Irish !
Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a very good point on the thrust angle on the rear axle...I never thought about that...

Common sence...If your rear axle is not square...It will push the truck to the left or right...
Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 PM

R/H pull

Originally Posted by diesel dave2
that is a very good point on the thrust angle on the rear axle...i never thought about that...

common sence...if your rear axle is not square...it will push the truck to the left or right...
great point!!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 PM

Cool

Well took the old girl into the tire shop today, expecting to need to do a lot of work on the front end. Found a dry wall screw in the R/H rear tire, swaped (roated) front to rear, tires. Checked front end, said it was off a little, however, everything seemed to be tight. Payed my bill and drove to Wally World. She drove like the truck of old when I purchased it. Oh yes it still wanders over the road, but I do not need to imput 45 degree left wheel to keep it straight.
One thing I did notice was that the tires (all 4 of them) are weather cracking. It is happening at the base of the tread.
Tires have less then 40,000 miles on them and they were manufactured in 2009. So I am now looking at getting new rubber. 265 65 16 Kumono tires on now. I like the look of the tires but it is hard for my wife and myself to get into the truck. May go with original size of 245 65 16. So thanks for all the suggestions on tire/pulls.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:25 AM

On this old of a truck never rule out front brake drag. Mine pulled to the right I got out and checked for heat one side to the other, right side hot, changed calipers fixed problem.

Floyd
Old 04-13-2013, 10:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
just went through this, one thing I noticed when parked when i steered to the right the front went left. then i got my kid to jog the wheel back and forth and found my new track bar rubber bushing was shot and the upper front trailing arm bushings where sliding back and forth on the bolts . So changed everything to poly bushings and new trailing arms . And now it steers straight with almost no wonder!!!

Quick Reply: Truck pulls STEADY HARD TO THE RIGHT