2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer wiring

I need to re wire my whole trailer harness. The owner before me had a hack job on it and I just want to redo it with a new brake controller and all new wiring. Can someone tell me where to start. I have heard there is a plug in the driver side wheel well where I can start, is this true?

Also the trailer brake in there now is a hack job as well. Can I just get a new one with the harness that plugs in to the stock plug under the dash and I should be good to go if I redo all the wiring back as-well.

Has any one done this?

thanks.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:35 PM

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
Hopkins makes a simple plug and play t-connection harness that plugs in line to the factory harness. I’d remove all the previous wiring and patch up any bare wires. Then I’d install one of the connectors I mentioned. The trailer brake wiring is pretty straightforward. You can also wire in a relay to protect your headlight circuit
Old 01-27-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by honobiahunter
Hopkins makes a simple plug and play t-connection harness that plugs in line to the factory harness. I’d remove all the previous wiring and patch up any bare wires. Then I’d install one of the connectors I mentioned. The trailer brake wiring is pretty straightforward. You can also wire in a relay to protect your headlight circuit

All of the plugs are missing in the back end. There is a plug right up underneath the driver door behind the wheel wheel. Do you think I could start there?

Old 02-18-2020, 08:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the same wiring harness problem as you have, I can't believe someone could be so stupid. Anyway, how did you repair the wiring harness to "Plug and Play". Thank you, Tom Kerley.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:54 PM

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts
The easiest would be to scavenge the original vehicle wiring from a salvage vehicle. However, if you’ve still got the factory connectors to the taillights then I believe I’d remove any non-factory wiring and repair any bare or chafed spots or cut and solder all new wire (preferably color matched) to the factory connectors. A simple automotive test light will be invaluable during any wiring so you can determine the function of each wire
Old 03-26-2020, 04:09 AM

Hi . If your trailer has high power lights it could be trouble for stock car wiring!