Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Tires, which ones (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/tires-ones-28007/)

chuck3 06-10-2003 06:48 PM

Tires, which ones

Got allmost 50k on the stock tires and will need to replace in about 10k, but thought I might do it before the snow flys.<br> I have the 265 michelins E rated A/S and would like to go with the M/S tires, but its going to run me allmost 8 hundred bucks. I wanted to go with a D rated tire as I never carry anything in my truck and the trailer tongue wt is only about 7 hundred lbs. Problem is I can't get that tire in the D rating, anyone recomend any tire comparable to above?

ramman21921 06-10-2003 07:24 PM

Re: Tires, which ones

I am running the stock Michelins now. When it rains it gets slippery! I have run the BFG&quot;S All Terrain KOS before on another RAM and had excellent results. The KO'S are a three ply tire on the sidewalls and seemed to handle a load great. This will be my choice for my set of tires. 8)

jfpointer 06-10-2003 10:36 PM

[quote author=ramman21921 link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=0#148011 date=1055291095]<br>I am running the stock Michelins now. When it rains it gets slippery! I have run the BFG&quot;S All Terrain KOS before on another RAM and had excellent results. The KO'S are a three ply tire on the sidewalls and seemed to handle a load great. This will be my choice for my set of tires. 8)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Oh, man, are these stock tires scary in the rain! :o I ran Dunlop Rover RVs on my 1500 and they were much better in pretty much every condition than these Michelins. Of course, it only had a little more than half the torque, so that might make a difference. [laugh] Nevertheless, my plan is to go with Dunlop Mud Rovers in the 255/85-16 size when it's time for new tires on this truck. They're pretty inexpensive in a relative sense, and not only did I personally have good luck with them, but most of the online tire sites have quite good customer reviews on them.

jweir 06-11-2003 02:30 PM

Chuck,<br><br>I went with the Toyo Open Country A/t's from Les Schwab. They are an E rated tire in the 265 size. They are slightly harsher than the stock Michelins, but after about 50 miles I didn't notice the difference anymore. When I asked in here, there were guys that had some bad luck with D rated tires, mostly wearing out kind of fast. I paid about just over 600 for the set of Toyo's.<br><br>Jim

chuck3 06-11-2003 05:44 PM

Thanks to all, will have to check around and see what I can come up with. :)

Farmout 06-11-2003 06:56 PM

I had BFG A/Ts on my truck and recently put on Michelin M&amp;S and I feel like I have a new truck. In less than a mile I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner. They are so comfertible!Not to mention that they last a whole lot longer than BFGs.

Bearfoot2 06-11-2003 09:11 PM

BIG O A/T BIG FOOT M-S. LT265 X 16 Load Range D. Have used Big O for 20 years and never had a problem. Best service and best warranty on the road. Pull a TT about 8-10k each year. Wouldn't run anything else. MHO FWIW<br><br>Stan.

drecu 06-11-2003 10:17 PM

[quote author=jweir link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=0#148275 date=1055359802]<br>Chuck,<br><br>I went with the Toyo Open Country A/t's from Les Schwab. They are an E rated tire in the 265 size. They are slightly harsher than the stock Michelins, but after about 50 miles I didn't notice the difference anymore. When I asked in here, there were guys that had some bad luck with D rated tires, mostly wearing out kind of fast. I paid about just over 600 for the set of Toyo's.<br><br>Jim<br>[/quote]<br><br>I have the Toyo's &amp; I love the traction but the tire does not seem to have a good pressure area it either gets real mushy pressure to low or anything that feels good 55-60 they start to wear in the middle I know 2 others who have the same problem same tires in the E load range.<br><br>DRecu!<br><br>

Dalton Gang 06-12-2003 05:37 PM

BFG KO's. Much better than the stock michelin. But time will tell on the longevity.

shortround 06-13-2003 06:25 AM

I'm running Kelly Safari AWR. 285 - 16, high D load rating. Got 17,000 miles on them with ~65% tread remaining. A bit of road noise at low speed but at highway, no more than stock. Good wet weather traction. $442.00 mounted, balanced, and free rotation every 5000 miles.<br><br>Shortround out<br>

redramnc 06-13-2003 06:37 AM

You need to pay attention to the weight rating of any tire you run on these trucks. With the weight of the motor being as heavy as it is a minimum high D rating is a necessity, especially if you are in the SW or southern tier states where the summer temps are blistering. I run E-rated tires on my truck - this time around I have put Goodyear Wrangler AT/S in 265/75/16 on the rear for a little better traction than the Uniroyal Laredos I was running. Your money, your choice.

jigdog 06-14-2003 12:55 AM

i had good luck with the toyo 10 ply on my last truck.i am running txrs in265 now they are doing good for wear. i don't know if i will get more i have heard of them giving out under heavy load.i was think of try bfg at's next time

Stamey 06-14-2003 06:52 AM

After all my research, I went with Nitto Terra Grapplers. I was looking for something more agressive than my stock Michellins, and even BFG All Terrains, but not noisy. I found myself putting the truck in 4wd when on slightly wet grass with those Michellins. :'( The Terra Grappler is more aggressive than the BFG AT, but not as aggressive, or noisy, as the BFG MT.
As far as noise, with the window down, and near a Jersey wall, you can hear a faint whine, but it's hardly noticable. :) With the window up, no noise can be heard at all. ;D
They do really well in the rain. I am very happy with them, after 5K.
I'll buy them again. ;D

Chris

rich 06-14-2003 07:59 AM

If you do lot of driving the bfg's will not last . with all the towing that i do the best tire i have found that has lasted and has the traction is the michelin xps. the set i have on one side has 16k on them and look almost like the new set on the other side. the bfg's are good for the front but are soft and wear out on the rear. xps's are a 3ply sidewall and are tough and have excellent traction.

chuck3 06-14-2003 12:12 PM

One of the reasons I wanted to go with the Michelins M/S is my buddy has them on his 01 and they still look brand new with 32k miles on them, I will be real surprised if he don't get 90k out of them. He does,nt hot rod like I do tho, so if I got 70k I guess that not too bad a cost. I don't need a tire with real aggressive tread as I very seldom get off road. Thanks for the input. 8)

Holycack 06-14-2003 01:57 PM

BFG All Terains all the way, I tow often and somewhat heavy. My truck always has a load and I drive a ton of highway miles. The 285/75/R16 BFG KO have lasted 70 000 KM and I often spin the tires, I have never had a flat or a bad tire they are not noisy and the tri-guard 3-ply sidewalls are pretty stiff. These tires are rated at a higher weight than the stocker 265/75/R16. I have been hooked on BFG ever since my first pair about 10 years ago and will never look at another truck tire. <br><br>My father in law has gone through two sets of tires on his Cummins in the time I have gone through one and we both drive and tow abou the same, and his last pair where Toyos. ;D ;D BFG all the way.

Bart Timothy 06-16-2003 12:57 AM

The Michelin 265-75 &quot;E&quot; LTX M/S tires, which were on my truck new, didn't last 50k miles. Was out of town when they had to be replaced and only had the cash to buy the cheapest tires I could find. Bought Costco Kirkland 235-85 &quot;E&quot; tires at less than half the price of the LTXs. I got a smoother ride and about the same exact millage out of them than with the Michelins. Michelins are way over rated and don't have a stiff enough sidewall, IMO.

rattle_rattle 06-16-2003 10:32 PM

A friend has a 2001 2500 with 7.5&quot; steel rims and 265's on it now. What is the largest tire that should be used on this rim? It has stock suspension.

jfpointer 06-16-2003 10:46 PM

Dunlop says 285/75 for their Mud Rover. Pretty much every tire manufacturer publishes their own specs on what size rim a certain tire can be mounted on. Best bet is to decide what tires he wants, then check the manufacturer's website to see what it says.

almitchell 06-18-2003 11:19 AM

Got over 90K with my M/S Michelins before replacing with identical tire. Loved them, expecially the mileage. Cost about $150 each at Discount Tire. Only bought 3 since spare was brand new.

chuck3 06-18-2003 05:50 PM

Al thats great mileage. :) I'm still leaning towards the Michelins M/S tires. ;)

almitchell 06-18-2003 06:37 PM

The folks at Discount Tire said I could have gone 100,000 miles on them, but I figured it was not worth the few extra thousand miles. I was never a Michelin &quot;fan&quot; until those factory tires did so well, and then I had to stay with them. Hope the new ones do as well.<br>

TomGolden 06-18-2003 06:57 PM

I still have the Michelin 265 M/S tires from the factory, except I put rocks through the sidewalls of 2 of them on hunting trips, so I am running 3 of the originals and two &quot;new&quot; ones. I have 65K miles on the truck since I bought it new in September 2000. I am estimating I am at about 1/2 life on the tires, so I should get 100K out of them.<br><br>I am planning on the Nitto Terra Grapplers myself as replacements, but I would really prefer to step up to 19.5&quot; rims and go to 35 - 36&quot; tall tires, if that combo exists. Except for the cost.... :'( A set of 6 Rickson 19.5's and tires would be on the order of $5K!! I have learned that when hunting or offroading, I want 2 spare tires, not just 1, so that's why I say 6 tires/wheels.<br><br>Tom

chuck3 06-19-2003 04:12 PM

[quote author=almitchell link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=15#150825 date=1055979470]<br>The folks at Discount Tire said I could have gone 100,000 miles on them, but I figured it was not worth the few extra thousand miles. I was never a Michelin &quot;fan&quot; until those factory tires did so well, and then I had to stay with them. Hope the new ones do as well.<br><br>[/quote] <br><br> I have used the Michelins on several vehicles with good results. I think they are an excellent tire but pricey. But from what I have found in my little search is that they are not that much more $ than the GoodYear tires and some of the others.

Bart Timothy 06-20-2003 01:10 AM

How come I only got 48,000 on my M/Ss??? You guys must drive like grandmas.

Pit Bull 06-20-2003 09:07 AM

Wish I knew more about tires. I alway buy name brands like Michelin and BFG because tires are important in the safe driving of the truck. It does blow me away when I see that a set of Yokohoma Golander AT's will sell for 1/2 the price of the Michelin XPS Tractions and guys claim to get about the same mileage out of the Golanders ??? I hate to waste money but without better technical information about the tires (construction, materials, etc.) I will have to keep spending the big $$$ for the name brands. Anybody have any websites that will give the technical comparisons of some of these cheaper brands to the premium brands?

rattle_rattle 06-20-2003 12:31 PM

[quote author=Bart Timothy link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=15#151438 date=1056089423]<br>How come I only got 48,000 on my M/Ss??? You guys must drive like grandmas.<br>[/quote]<br>What tire pressures are you running?

almitchell 06-20-2003 12:40 PM

I run 80 pounds in my Michelins, so I don't have to mess with adjusting pressure when towing. Easier to run 80 all the time.

jigdog 06-20-2003 03:20 PM

for pit bull<br><br>did you try yokohama .com? :)

chuck3 06-20-2003 05:29 PM

I run 65 psi in front and 55 to 60 in rear tires.

bullfrogjim 06-20-2003 06:12 PM

I had bfg all terrain on a previous dodge v-10 that I had and they are way to soft. I liked them but I had to replace them after about 25,000 miles. I would try something else.

Bart Timothy 06-20-2003 11:02 PM

I was running 60 to 80 lbs in my M/Ss, depending on the load. I replaced them with Kirklands from Costco, which aren't as good of tire for sure, but are lasting better with the same traction as the Michelins. The Kirklands were exactly half the money of the Michelins.

Pit Bull 06-21-2003 05:28 PM

Anyone ever run the Goodyear AT/R's in the 235/85/16 size? I think this is a new tire for Goodyear, I know I have seen the Goodyear AT/S but have just noticed the Goodyear AT/R at Sam's club today for $107 per tire. It has a good looking tread design and looks like a good combination highway and off road/snow tire for a dually.

chuck3 06-21-2003 07:19 PM

[quote author=Bart Timothy link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=15#151438 date=1056089423]<br>How come I only got 48,000 on my M/Ss??? You guys must drive like grandmas.<br>[/quote] <br><br> Bart your pushing well over 400 horses, and with a few John Force take-offs your lucky to get 48k miles on anything. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

Pit Bull 06-22-2003 09:43 AM

A friend at the gym has worn out his OEM Goddyear Wrangler 235/85/16 AP's in 35K miles. I don't think this speaks to the ability of the tires but to the loads he carries. He has towed twice his trucks rating on several occassions. I think you can quickly wearout any tire if you abuse it.

Haulin_in_Dixie 06-27-2003 12:46 PM

I will give you some tire info that I have experienced. I ran single wheels for many thousands of miles pulling up to 30,000 gross using Goodyear 14 ply rated tires at 110 pounds. Never had a tire problem. After changing to dual wheels I stayed with the 14 ply rating. The last set got over 65,000 miles on them.<br><br>I just purchased Michelen XPS Rib tires to the tune of over $1200. These are 10 ply rating. The fronts were very untrue and it was nece3ssary to true them, that means they get cut on the surface on the truck to make them round and true. Now they ride great, but....<br><br>The truck was more stable with the single wheels and 14 ply rating than it is now. Also these are 32 inch tires with the difference in speedo and gearing. When they wear out, hopefully in many miles, I will never use the lighter tire for heavy loads again. The 110 pound pressure is necessary along with the shorter side wall to stabilize the truck under heavy loads. I may very well go to 19.5 low profile next time.

James Lucas 06-29-2003 12:00 AM

Michelin's?????? FRENCH!!!!!! EWWWWW<br><br><br><br>The Nitto's are really good tires and my daughter has them on her Tahoe I like them well. They are 10 ply E rated and are wearing great!<br><br>Not sure where the Nittos are made... But I got them before I quit buying french!<br><br>My truck just got a new set of Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip 36X14.5X16.6 Don't know much about them yet but they look really cool and they are E rated.

James Lucas 06-29-2003 12:01 AM

OOOOOPS 36X14.5X16.5 E rated [eyecrazy]

mcevins 06-29-2003 12:23 AM

I just mounted a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's and am quite pleased with the results. My stock Michelins were 265's. The Revo's have to be 285's to have a D rating and are 8 plies. They are fairley aggressive and have virtually no road noise. They were rated well for wear, wet traction, and road noise. They come with white letters and are quite a good looking tire. Hope you find what you want. Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

chuck3 06-29-2003 07:37 PM

Well thanks to a friend I don't have to worry about new ones for acouple more years now. He had a few thousand miles on his stock Michelins and upgraded to larger tires and wheels and sold the stock ones to me for a good deal.<br> Thanks again phox. Thanks to all that responded.