Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Tires, which ones (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/tires-ones-28007/)

iaredneck72 07-08-2003 06:35 PM

Re: Tires, which ones

A little TLC and they will all last a long time. I have 72,000+ on my stock Michelins. Proper balance and rotation helps a bunch. Needless to say I am putting Michelins back on, right before my elk trip to Colorado...........(probably wished I had put BFG's on after that)

Pit Bull 07-08-2003 08:09 PM

Heard from a wholesaler that sells many many brands that in the 235/85/16 E rated size they are all built to the same spec's and that he feels that even the off brand names are as good or better than the name brands. ??? Any thoughts on this position

Haulin_in_Dixie 07-09-2003 02:24 AM

[quote author=Pit Bull link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=30#157893 date=1057712998]<br>Heard from a wholesaler that sells many many brands that in the 235/85/16 E rated size they are all built to the same spec's and that he feels that even the off brand names are as good or better than the name brands. ??? Any thoughts on this position<br>[/quote]<br><br>Totally untrue. They come in different tread deapths, patterns, diameter, hardness of rubber, etc.

Pit Bull 07-09-2003 06:55 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=30#157989 date=1057735456]<br>[quote author=Pit Bull link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=30#157893 date=1057712998]<br>Heard from a wholesaler that sells many many brands that in the 235/85/16 E rated size they are all built to the same spec's and that he feels that even the off brand names are as good or better than the name brands. ??? Any thoughts on this position<br>[/quote]<br><br>Totally untrue. They come in different tread deapths, patterns, diameter, hardness of rubber, etc.<br>[/quote]<br><br>So how do you tell the good from the bad? I alway bought name brands but would love to get more for my money.

Haulin_in_Dixie 07-09-2003 08:46 PM

Which one is best??? I am in the dark as well as everyone else. My needs are high mileage, so I just spent over $1200 on six Michelen Rib. But they were larger that I did not need. My speedo is 4 mph off now. Same size that I have been running. I am used to a bit more stability loaded, but other wise they seem to be what I bought and paid for. Dealer tells me that Bridgstone is as good, a little less mileage and much cheaper. The Michelens were not round and had to be trued on the front. You do the best you can with the info that you can get and hope for the best decision.

Suburbanite 07-09-2003 11:18 PM

Here are a couple of FYI:

I think there are only 3 major tire companies:
*&quot;Michelin, Uniroyal and BFGoodrich brands as well as its private and associate brands&quot; are all related companies but I believe Michelin is the 'parent' company of all of them.
*Goodyear, ... &amp; ... with, obviously, Goodyear the parent company.
*Bridgestone, Firestone, Dayton, ... &amp; ... with Bridgestone the parent company.

Some D rated tires have a weight capacity that's within 84lbs (as a pair) of E rated tires -- 3000lbs/tire vs 3042lbs/tire. Here's one example, 255/85R16's, but there may be others.

From what I've read the standard, D &amp; E rated, LT Michelins are VERY suspectible to sidewall damage. That's why they're generally not recommended for off-road use by hard-core off-roaders.

[EDIT] Here's another one I almost forgot: I believe most higher than E rated tires are only rated for 70mph top speed. That compares to 99mph or 110mph for most D/E rated tires. I realize that'd be a nonissue while towing/carrying but what about the rest of the time?

nk7j 07-14-2003 01:26 PM

For what it is worth here is my experience with tires. Without a doubt the best tires I have had are the Cooper tires. Right now I run Coopers on all my rigs except the 99 dodge I just bought which had a set of new toyo m-55s on it. The discover line by cooper has worked very well for me in the brush as well as highway use. <br><br>I wil NEVER and I mean NEVER buy another set of michelins again. They do wear good but have the cheapest flippin sidewalls I have ever seen. They may be E rated but the sidewalls SUCK! Take them out in the woods and get them where you will encounter sharp sticks and boom you have a flat. And of course beings that a stick punched through the sidewall and not the face they would not cover it (even though they had less than 10K on them). I lost four tires in ONE year due to this crappy tire design. <br><br>I run toyo tires on my work rig (state owned) and they are OK, not great though for the price tag. I go through a set about every 30K. Have tried Kellys, BFG, Goodyear (they are not too bad) and a couple others and always come back to coopers.<br>Oh and they are made in the USA.<br>One more note if you look at he cooper discover they make like three or four traction versions, I usually buy the all purpose regular discover, they are one of the best tires I have had for snow/ice and they are quiet for this type of tire. The make a STT version for high traction in mud (they are loud) but unless you get them studed and siped they SUCK on ice, they are like having ice skates on.<br><br>Anyway I hope you dont do what I always do, buy a new set of tires then trade or sell the rig two months later.<br>

chuck3 07-14-2003 01:40 PM

[quote author=nk7j coopers.<br>Anyway I hope you dont do what I always do, buy a new set of tires then trade or sell the rig two months later.<br><br>
<br><br> Been there done that. I have been considering going with the Coopers as I have heard good things about them.

Bart Timothy 07-14-2003 03:41 PM

ditto on the flimsy sidewalls of the Michelin.

rattle_rattle 07-15-2003 03:38 PM

[quote author=Bart Timothy link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#159817 date=1058215318]<br>ditto on the flimsy sidewalls of the Michelin.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Man! I have always been a Michelin user. I have heard way too many bad stories about these sidewalls. A friend that lives near me lives on a gravel road and has had three tires punctured in the sidewalls by sharp stones! Guess it's goodby Michelin!<br>

GG 07-15-2003 04:11 PM

My .02 <br>Got E-rated Michelins on the truck now. Don't do any off roading.<br>The ride is pretty decent. <br><br>I've heard the talk of blowouts.Seems all the tire companies have some kind of problems these days.<br><br>The best tires I've had,wear wise,have been the Coopers.<br><br>When the Mich's run down I'll probably put on a set of those.

Pit Bull 07-15-2003 08:11 PM

Tell me about Coopers? Why are they so good? If you want Michelins that have tough side walls get a set of XPS tractions, all steel recappable tires, weigh a ton.

Pit Bull 07-15-2003 08:53 PM

Cooper Discover M&amp;S 235/85/16 Anybody know anything about these tires?

jigdog 07-15-2003 09:22 PM

pit bull<br>i think their ;D is some stuff on those in the earlier pages of this thread

nk7j 07-16-2003 04:39 PM

I have had a couple people send me messages about why I like coopers so I thought I would put it on here also.<br><br>They wear good (I get abour 50-60K on a set and I go in the mtns/rocks/dirt alot), they are made in the USA, I dont have to worry about 1/4Inch sticks making them go BOOM :o , they are the best tires I have had for snow/ice which we have alot of [undecided] and finally if I have a blowout at 48K miles (happened once) I do not have to worry about pro-rating crap when they put on a new one, they just do it at no cost to me. <br><br>The last one I have never figured out whether that was a deal with the local tire chain I deal with or from cooper but either way it works for me ;D.<br>Jack

nk7j 07-16-2003 04:43 PM

Here is the one I use:<br>http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/Pro...uck&amp;id=174<br><br>

jigdog 07-16-2003 05:31 PM

are you gettin them from schwabe :)

nk7j 07-17-2003 11:00 AM

No on shwab. It is a small tire chain Roy and Owens they are also part of the tire factory group.<br>I quit doing business with shwab some time back. Got tired of paying for balancing, valve stems, mounting and everything else under the sun. There prices SOUND good but do some comparisons and you will find like I did you are getting ripped by the time all the extra costs get added into it, and they pro-rate any tire they sell. <br>Maybe it is just our local greedy shwabs but from thier last sale paper I seen it appears it is that way with all of them. I will say they are fast and generally a friendly bunch, but fast is not always better (um why did my tire just come off a block away from the store? ::) :o :o.<br>I do have to deal with the good ol boys down at the place I buy tires but when they give me a price on tires that it THE price, includes valve stems,mounting , balanacing and all the rotations you want. On average I say about 20% by avoiding shwabs. <br>But I know alot of people are tickled to death by them so I say more power to ya! ;D ;D<br>Take Care<br>Jack

James Lucas 07-17-2003 03:42 PM

[quote author=Suburbanite link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#158317 date=1057810709]<br>Here are a couple of FYI:<br><br><br>*&quot;Michelin, Uniroyal and BFGoodrich brands as well as its private and associate brands&quot; are all related companies but I believe Michelin is the 'parent' company of all of them.<br><br>From what I've read the standard, D &amp; E rated, LT Michelins are VERY suspectible to sidewall damage. That's why they're generally not recommended for off-road use by hard-core off-roaders.<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks....<br><br>I can add a few more tires to my &quot;FRENCH MADE&quot; I won't buy them anymore List!!!!<br><br>I didn't know about Uniroyal and BFGoodrich being owned by Michelin which is FRENCH owned!<br><br>James

Haulin_in_Dixie 07-17-2003 04:54 PM

I for one would like nothing better than to &quot;buy American&quot; but that has mostly become impossible. If you drive a car it is made of parts from other countrys, if you eat food it is slaughtered and grown in other countries. I delivered hundreds of loads of what we called &quot;kangeroo beef&quot; in the '70s which was Austrailian and NewZealand grass fed beef mixed with American at the hamburger stands. Hey, we drive German trucks. So which tires are made strictly in America with American products? No and I can't tell you either. The only thing unique about Michelen tires is that the name is French. But so are French Fries and they never made them. I have not heard of the hamburger stands suffering from loss of profits or sales of French Fries. Ahhhh wood, most of it comes from the US or does it, a lot comes from Canada. America has thrown away its great industry, its too late, it is already done. We should have demanded American products in the '60s and '70s instead of driving &quot;Bugs&quot; and &quot;Datsons&quot; So I bought Michelen XPS Rib, they seem to be a great tire, with over 10,000 miles the whole tread is still not on the pavement, sorry, thats my soapbox.

phox_mulder 07-17-2003 05:00 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#161111 date=1058478894]<br>I for one would like nothing better than to &quot;buy American&quot; but that has mostly become impossible. If you drive a car it is made of parts from other countrys, if you eat food it is slaughtered and grown in other countries. I delivered hundreds of loads of what we called &quot;kangeroo beef&quot; in the '70s which was Austrailian and NewZealand grass fed beef mixed with American at the hamburger stands. Hey, we drive German trucks. So which tires are made strictly in America with American products? No and I can't tell you either. The only thing unique about Michelen tires is that the name is French. But so are French Fries and they never made them. I have not heard of the hamburger stands suffering from loss of profits or sales of French Fries. Ahhhh wood, most of it comes from the US or does it, a lot comes from Canada. America has thrown away its great industry, its too late, it is already done. We should have demanded American products in the '60s and '70s instead of driving &quot;Bugs&quot; and &quot;Datsons&quot; So I bought Michelen XPS Rib, they seem to be a great tire, with over 10,000 miles the whole tread is still not on the pavement, sorry, thats my soapbox.<br>[/quote]<br><br>What he said.<br><br><br>phox

Pit Bull 07-17-2003 05:14 PM

[quote author=phox_mulder link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=60#161113 date=1058479200]<br>[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#161111 date=1058478894]<br>I for one would like nothing better than to &quot;buy American&quot; but that has mostly become impossible. If you drive a car it is made of parts from other countrys, if you eat food it is slaughtered and grown in other countries. I delivered hundreds of loads of what we called &quot;kangeroo beef&quot; in the '70s which was Austrailian and NewZealand grass fed beef mixed with American at the hamburger stands. Hey, we drive German trucks. So which tires are made strictly in America with American products? No and I can't tell you either. The only thing unique about Michelen tires is that the name is French. But so are French Fries and they never made them. I have not heard of the hamburger stands suffering from loss of profits or sales of French Fries. Ahhhh wood, most of it comes from the US or does it, a lot comes from Canada. America has thrown away its great industry, its too late, it is already done. We should have demanded American products in the '60s and '70s instead of driving &quot;Bugs&quot; and &quot;Datsons&quot; So I bought Michelen XPS Rib, they seem to be a great tire, with over 10,000 miles the whole tread is still not on the pavement, sorry, thats my soapbox.<br>[/quote]<br><br>What he said.<br><br><br>phox<br>[/quote]<br><br>Based on their web site it looks like you can buy Cooper Discovers and they are made in USA by an American company and they are a quality heavy duty tire. Depending on their cost I might try them as replacements to my Goodyears.

James Lucas 07-17-2003 05:50 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#161111 date=1058478894]<br>I for one would like nothing better than to &quot;buy American&quot; but that has mostly become impossible. If you drive a car it is made of parts from other countrys, if you eat food it is slaughtered and grown in other countries. I delivered hundreds of loads of what we called &quot;kangeroo beef&quot; in the '70s which was Austrailian and NewZealand grass fed beef mixed with American at the hamburger stands. Hey, we drive German trucks. So which tires are made strictly in America with American products? No and I can't tell you either. The only thing unique about Michelen tires is that the name is French. But so are French Fries and they never made them. I have not heard of the hamburger stands suffering from loss of profits or sales of French Fries. Ahhhh wood, most of it comes from the US or does it, a lot comes from Canada. America has thrown away its great industry, its too late, it is already done. We should have demanded American products in the '60s and '70s instead of driving &quot;Bugs&quot; and &quot;Datsons&quot; So I bought Michelen XPS Rib, they seem to be a great tire, with over 10,000 miles the whole tread is still not on the pavement, sorry, thats my soapbox.<br>[/quote]<br> Some things we have control over and somethings we have NONE! Somethings we can right and somethings we can never change course on... I am however encouraged that we as Americans HAVE impacted the FRENCH and can continue to do so. <br> Yes Cooper is a Fine AMERICAN made tire and there are others out there that are too...<br><br> So it is too late to adapt the &quot;buy from supportive countries where we can&quot; attitude? I think not!!!!<br><br>AND THAT IS MY SOAPBOX!!!<br><br>Keywords: WHERE WE CAN

Haulin_in_Dixie 07-17-2003 06:36 PM

[quote author=JCL123 link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=60#161143 date=1058482253]<br>[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=45#161111 date=1058478894]<br>I for one would like nothing better than to &quot;buy American&quot; but that has mostly become impossible. If you drive a car it is made of parts from other countrys, if you eat food it is slaughtered and grown in other countries. I delivered hundreds of loads of what we called &quot;kangeroo beef&quot; in the '70s which was Austrailian and NewZealand grass fed beef mixed with American at the hamburger stands. Hey, we drive German trucks. So which tires are made strictly in America with American products? No and I can't tell you either. The only thing unique about Michelen tires is that the name is French. But so are French Fries and they never made them. I have not heard of the hamburger stands suffering from loss of profits or sales of French Fries. Ahhhh wood, most of it comes from the US or does it, a lot comes from Canada. America has thrown away its great industry, its too late, it is already done. We should have demanded American products in the '60s and '70s instead of driving &quot;Bugs&quot; and &quot;Datsons&quot; So I bought Michelen XPS Rib, they seem to be a great tire, with over 10,000 miles the whole tread is still not on the pavement, sorry, thats my soapbox.<br>[/quote]<br> Some things we have control over and somethings we have NONE! Somethings we can right and somethings we can never change course on... I am however encouraged that we as Americans HAVE impacted the FRENCH and can continue to do so. <br> Yes Cooper is a Fine AMERICAN made tire and there are others out there that are too...<br><br> So it is too late to adapt the &quot;buy from supportive countries where we can&quot; attitude? I think not!!!!<br><br>AND THAT IS MY SOAPBOX!!!<br><br>Keywords: WHERE WE CAN<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes and I have to agree with you, no time to throw in the towell. Point well taken.

James Lucas 07-18-2003 11:16 AM

Man I steered this topic way off course [eyecrazy] Sorry Everyone :-[ Thanks Haulin In Dixie for the reply... That was big of ya!!! <br><br>My Michelins didn't go very far before they looked sad :( <br><br>I used to buy Cooper's from the local service station (to help support the little town where I had my ranch) they where great tires and tough too! My ranch was hell on tires and they did great running around on it.<br><br>Now I am running the Parneli Jones Dirt Grips and absolutely love them... but they are pricey.<br><br>

jigdog 07-18-2003 09:10 PM

jcl how much is pricey,per tire for like a 245/75/16 e ;D

James Lucas 07-18-2003 11:22 PM

[quote author=jigdog link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=60#161644 date=1058580624]<br>jcl how much is pricey,per tire for like a 245/75/16 e ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br> [laugh]<br><br>I guess that size would be a really special order ;)

jigdog 07-19-2003 12:21 AM

jcl if i have to ask that i guess i don't need it ::)

James Lucas 07-19-2003 12:50 AM

Sorry,<br> By the tone I thought you realized the Parneli Jones didn't come in such a small tire. I also noticed by your sig you don't run that small of a tire either so I thought you were kidding....<br><br>I think the smallest size available is a 31x10.5R16 or 15<br><br>James

jigdog 07-19-2003 01:08 AM

jcl,that ok no offense taken .stock is 245 thinking about it for the next set.don't really need any bigger for what i do.

James Lucas 07-19-2003 07:57 AM

Oh Ok sorry I really thought you were kidding with me :-[

smokinjoe 07-20-2003 06:55 PM

Chuck3,

I just put on two new Michelans, M/S &quot;E&quot;'s (8-ply). I towed my 5ver (8 K#) over 8 K last summer and another 3K this summer. I had about 58 K on the truck and two tires needed replacing and the other two should go another 5-10 K. I've had good luck with the Mich., and mine hold the road good in rain and snow with no problems.

I paid $168.00 each plus tax at Sam's Club--that was the best price I could find!!

FWIW

Good luck!!

smokinjoe
ohio

:) :) :)

Pit Bull 07-20-2003 08:29 PM

Based on their web site it looks like you can buy Cooper Discovers and they are made in USA by an American company and they are a quality heavy duty tire. Depending on their cost I might try them as replacements to my Goodyears.
Checked and the Cooper Discover M&amp;S 235/85/16 &quot;E&quot; rated 10 ply and go for $110 per tire. These are bif heavyduty tires not a bad price. Looks like the difference between these and the Michelin LTX/MS is the Coopers have heavy duty side walls and they are $50 per tire cheaper and made in the USA.

erics76 07-20-2003 09:07 PM

I saw some parneli jones dirt grips in an add a while ago. The 305/70/16's were $200+. I think maybe $230 but I'm not sure about that. Anything over $200 is too high for me anyway.

yz 07-20-2003 09:29 PM

Have any of you guys ever tried Pirelli tires? And what do you think of them. I am thinking of buying there new Scorpion STR tires. thanks- Anthony

jigdog 07-20-2003 09:53 PM

pit bull thanks for the info ;D ;D i think i will take a look a coopers when my txr's wear out

Pit Bull 07-20-2003 10:03 PM

[quote author=jigdog link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=75#162164 date=1058756001]<br>pit bull thanks for the info ;D ;D i think i will take a look a coopers when my txr's wear out<br>[/quote]<br><br>Personally I have alway been a Michelin/BFG guy but after doing a lot of research I think the Coopers are as good/better for a lot less $$$. Plus I like the fact that they are an American company ;D

James Lucas 07-20-2003 10:11 PM

[quote author=erics76 link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=60#162150 date=1058753269]<br>I saw some parneli jones dirt grips in an add a while ago. The 305/70/16's were $200+. I think maybe $230 but I'm not sure about that. Anything over $200 is too high for me anyway.<br>[/quote]<br><br>They are definately for a NICHE Market... They have alot of strong selling points like great on/off road traction, relative quiet for aggressive looks, quality control (tires are xrayed), balance is easily obtained even on the large sizes, etc.<br><br>But... I don't know that I would pay that hefty of a price for a 305! I did have no problem paying an extra 50 bucks a tire for my size (36x14.5x16.5 radial 10 plys) over what Super Swampers or other comperable tires run.<br><br>The 305's I would probably run a Nitto Terra Grappler again in the E load range.<br><br>I also probably wouldn't be afraid of the Cooper's if they made a 305 (not sure if they do) in a E load range.

James Lucas 07-20-2003 10:25 PM

[quote author=yz link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=60#162160 date=1058754581]<br>Have any of you guys ever tried Pirelli tires? And what do you think of them. I am thinking of buying there new Scorpion STR tires. thanks- Anthony<br>[/quote]<br><br>Anthony,<br> I have never run the pirelli tires on a heavy truck before and plead ignorance as to its life expectancy. Pirelli is an italian tire company and makes awesome tires for the sports segment as well as bike tires.(I am not familiar with their truck tires if they make them) I had some 205.45.r16's on a celica once and they were pretty good high performance tires.<br> I have Kuhmo 305.50.r20's on my Expedition 4x4 and they aren't going to go over 30k by the looks of them at 16k but they look good! 8) The dealer had them put on for me when I bought the truck (my bro works there) and I will not buy them again.<br> Sorry not much help on your post but at least wanted to answer it.....<br><br>James

James Lucas 07-20-2003 10:29 PM

[quote author=Pit Bull link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=75#162169 date=1058756617]<br>[quote author=jigdog link=board=5;threadid=15751;start=75#162164 date=1058756001]<br>pit bull thanks for the info ;D ;D i think i will take a look a coopers when my txr's wear out<br>[/quote]<br><br>Personally I have alway been a Michelin/BFG guy but after doing a lot of research I think the Coopers are as good/better for a lot less $$$. Plus I like the fact that they are an American company ;D<br>[/quote]<br><br>I am liking this mentality :) ( &gt;:( FRANCE...Michelin)