2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Surface RUST!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Surface RUST!!!!!

I decided to take my 02 for a professional detail job and give her a little TLC. After being at the detail shop all day I went over her with a fine tooth comb and found countless pen tip sized marking from behind the front tires throughout the length on the bottom 1/3 of the cab and box of the truck. I was greatly concerned that the detail shop just gave her a bath and not a wax so I called out the owner and questioned the job. We went up and down each side of the truck and after a brief discussions, he goes on to explain that this is a common occurance and without the use of harsher abrasives (wet sand paper) that will continue to get worse (which in turn with deplete the clearcoat). We also discussed using either a 3M product or clear vinyl film to prevent further corrosion.

I honestly can not believe that a truck that is less than two years old is showing signs of surface rust. Should I accept this or should I take a trip to the five star dealership and express my frustrations.

I was also wondering if others have experienced surface rust with their 2nd Generation CTD and what has been their course of action.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ty
Kurt
Old 09-04-2004, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have some little rust spots along my rocker panels.

I haven't done anything about them, waiting till they get real noticible,
then maybe rhino line the rockers or something.

Not much of a "chrome" guy, so the stick on rocker panel things aren't my cup of tea.

phox
Old 09-04-2004, 07:22 PM

sounds normal ......the paint on these newer cars & trucks sucks IMO you look at it wrong and it's scratched and it stone chips like crazy .......

I had mine repainted from the lower body line down with a flexable rocker guard (called duraguard I think) and then body matching paint laid down on top so far it seems to be a lot less prone to the rock chipping i was getting from driving on gravel

those clear plastic rocker guard films work good too if you get em on before the rocker gets tore up too bad .......... in my case it was too late and I need a repaint
Old 09-04-2004, 08:29 PM

IMO you don't buy dodge trucks for their paint. i have an 01 and 45000 miles later i do have chips here and there especially behind the front wheels and not so surprised to have one on the hood. the one on the hood, the clear around it is lifting up too.

i have run into a number of dodge owners who have had their late model trucks repainted on dodge's dime.
Old 09-05-2004, 11:12 AM

The problem is not rust, it's a paint problem. The problem is this new base coat, clear coat paint. This stuff is junk, the paint is to soft. If you check most of the new paint jobs can be scratched and chipped very easy. I have seen this paint so soft the if you washed it, you scratched the whole truck up this was on a Chevy truck 1 week old. Now for peeling, paint they all peel some years worst then others.

Dodgeram had the right idea, repaint with a flexable rock guard. This way if the paint gets chipped you still have the metal covered.

If your buying it new, thell them you want the clear plastic rocker covers on the truck. This will buy you a few more year before repainting.

The stainless steel rocker panal kits look nice but don't solve the problem. There is paint showing below them. This is where the clear plastic covers are still needed.

As for as Dodge repainting the truck or even the lower part I don't know. It wouldn't hurt to ask about it.

Rodney
Old 09-06-2004, 01:15 PM
CJ

I plan on painting the lower 6 inches or so with Herculiner when I do the truck bed. A friend of mine did the underside and inside of his jeep(complete body off rebuild) and he loves it, says it is very durable.
CJ
Old 09-08-2004, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yup i got pin hole rust on my rear bumper, lower rockers and inner tailgate. i got the dealer to repaint the tailgate under warrenty but thats it. Dodge doesn't do a good job of painting and prep for paint. I didn't buy it 'cause its a dodge i bought 'casue it has a cummins