2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering Wanders

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering Wanders

My truck seems to wander when going down the highway so took it in and the dealer stated I needed a steering gear and a steering damper. Sort of what I figured because of what I've gathered here so that is in the plans. Don't know what steering box I am going with yet or which damper I want (single, double???) and am interested in your opinions (base it on a 1997 second gen 4x4).

So what about a steering stablizer (SolidSteel.biz for instance)? Does that need to go on before you complete the alignment or can I put it on after the fact? Is it worth the extra bucks?

Thanks
Old 12-24-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with the steering stablizer from CustomDiesel online, and went with a single damper. much better now, didn't replace the steering box.
FWIW
Old 12-24-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure everything is good then add a DSS on it (dodge steering stabilizer) you wont believe how well it will drive .the best place I have found a good price on was Ebay . cant post a link ...against site rules .basicly it locks to lower end of the steering gear sector shaft so it cant move . I have put in dozens of them and every one loves them.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DSS and an upgraded track bar here - drives like a new truck after that
Old 12-24-2011, 03:52 PM

Me too. I did luke's link on track bar, DSS (great price on line at flea-bay), and stabilizer shock and no problems.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:57 PM

Going through the front end on a 98.5 now. Did all the ball joints, pitman and idler and now looking to to order the DSS myself and maybe a new box.Tie rod ends all seem to be in good shape. Got it driving good now, but looking for better. Tie rod ends all seem to be in good shape. New wheels and tires next week!
Old 12-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Merry Christmas - THANKS for the responses so far. I do have a steering stablizer from CustomDiesel on order (as of Saturday). Will replace it the same time I do the steering box and damper. Anyone know what is involved with bleeding the steering hoses when I reconnect them to the new box? All I can find on line is to "bleed them and remove the air" but not how to. It may be obvious when I actually do it but haven't ever done it before so.....

Oh yeah - I put on the lukes' link a year or so ago but never really thought it made much of a difference - but the steering box was probably already too far gone to make much of a difference then. The wandering has kept me from using the truck like I would if it didn't wander so NOW I will get it right.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:22 PM

I've ordered the stabilizer also. Gonna put it on and see if I really need the new box. Theoretically it eliminates all play in the shaft itself. But if the inards are too worn then it will need the box. Mine just shows a small movement in the output shaft.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by zookeeper
Merry Christmas - THANKS for the responses so far. I do have a steering stablizer from CustomDiesel on order (as of Saturday). Will replace it the same time I do the steering box and damper. Anyone know what is involved with bleeding the steering hoses when I reconnect them to the new box? All I can find on line is to "bleed them and remove the air" but not how to. It may be obvious when I actually do it but haven't ever done it before so.....

Oh yeah - I put on the lukes' link a year or so ago but never really thought it made much of a difference - but the steering box was probably already too far gone to make much of a difference then. The wandering has kept me from using the truck like I would if it didn't wander so NOW I will get it right.
put truck up on jack stands. with engine off slowly turn wheels full right then full left then center. check fluid. repeat with engine running aleast 3 times. lower truck to ground drive slowly and carefully for 1 or 2 miles check fluid. when i did this the first 2 time i used brakes they where soft the started working fine. also steering was odd for first 2or 3 turns then cleared up and been fine every since.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 AM

Bleeding sounds easy enough! As soon as the stabilizer bar gets here - I will get the steering gear and a good damper and hopefully put this problem to bed once and for all! Will update after the weekend. Thanks klammie!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Originally Posted by zookeeper
Bleeding sounds easy enough! As soon as the stabilizer bar gets here - I will get the steering gear and a good damper and hopefully put this problem to bed once and for all! Will update after the weekend. Thanks klammie!
What type of gear box are you getting??
Old 12-30-2011, 10:42 AM

I decided on the Cardone - with lifetime warranty - since it was available locally. I will update after the weekend as all work will be completed by then if the weather holds out tomorrow. (60 and sunny which is unheard of in St Louis at the end of December).
Old 12-30-2011, 02:19 PM

Have your alignment person put as much positive caster into the front end as possible. Makes a big difference in steering wander and death wobble.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM

It is done! What a difference too. Replaced the steering gear box, the steering damper and added the Steering stablizer - then an alignment and it's driving like a new truck!

Can't believe I waited so long.

Thanks everyone for their input as well!

Old 03-11-2014, 09:34 PM

Whats the track bar for and can it be added after the stablizer is installed?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Steering Wanders